Power Steering Trouble

fcris

Before I have to start the car and take a power steering fluid shower, can anyone guess where fluid could be spraying out, at or around the steering rack and pinion? All the hoses and fittings seem to be fine. It's a mess, but it seems to have come from the steering input side. High enough up where the brake cylinder got soaked.

The only areas I could imagine it coming from is the seal where the steering input shaft goes in. Or it could be a crack in the rack and pinion housing I can't see.

Thanks,

Frank

There is a return hose the is very small and hard to see. It is right above the diff. Also do you have the car raised?

You're right Swif. The side was blown out. I cut it open to show the split in the inside jacket. This is the second oil hose on this car I changed. I wonder if Lambo fixed this in later models? I would recommend that everyone have this changed when in for service. It took me about 4 hours, so I'm guessing it's a 2 or 3 hour dealer job. It makes a big mess when it goes so it's worth it.

This hose is in good shape viewed from the outside, so a visual inspection won't work.

Thanks,

Frank

Ret_Hose.jpgRet_Hose_Inside.jpg

• 1 year later...

i may have this trouble. after driving the car, entering my garage, i engage the lift up. next thing i know the steering becomes very hard. i drive inside the garage, put down the car and shut it off. there's a pool of red oil/fluid from where i turned on the lift all the way to my garage. quite a big mess.

now the car might be need to towed to the workshop unless it can be jacked up and the hose replaced from under that.

any thoughts?

which part is defective from here this illustration?

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?...;B=26624&S=

i may have this trouble. after driving the car, entering my garage, i engage the lift up. next thing i know the steering becomes very hard. i drive inside the garage, put down the car and shut it off. there's a pool of red oil/fluid from where i turned on the lift all the way to my garage. quite a big mess.

now the car might be need to towed to the workshop unless it can be jacked up and the hose replaced from under that.

any thoughts?

which part is defective from here this illustration?

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?...;B=26624&S=

It is not on the page you had a link to. Its page 43 03 71 its item #6. It is a pice of bulk hose you could get from most any auto parts store.

Its not a easy hose to replace.

thanks for the reply. is it replaced from under the vehicle or from the front bonnet?

i understand from the post above that it is located above the diff. hopefully my car being RWD now, and the front diff removed, it will be easier to access.

after replacing, do i need to bleed the system?

thanks for the reply. is it replaced from under the vehicle or from the front bonnet?

i understand from the post above that it is located above the diff. hopefully my car being RWD now, and the front diff removed, it will be easier to access.

after replacing, do i need to bleed the system?

With front diff removed it will be much easier. Do it from the bottom.

To bleed just fill with p/s fluid (ATF) and turn the steering wheel all the way to left and to the right a few times. Check fluid level then use the lifting system a few time. Check fluid level and it should be good to go.

Make sure the lifting system is down when you check fluid level.

With front diff removed it will be much easier. Do it from the bottom.

To bleed just fill with p/s fluid (ATF) and turn the steering wheel all the way to left and to the right a few times. Check fluid level then use the lifting system a few time. Check fluid level and it should be good to go.

Make sure the lifting system is down when you check fluid level.

Isn't there also a bleeder valve in the front bonnet?

thanks to this post my tech got to the problem immediately. replaced the hose just using regular car jacks. took about 3 hours from start to finish. car is working properly again.