Aftermarket Carbon Fiber Wing question

docmil488

I recently bought a carbon fiber engine bonnet and wing. My G is an 04. i had no problems with the factory wing before the installation of the new wing. I figured that the cars computer may notice that the factory wing was missing so i re installed the main wiring harness for the factory powered wing but left the motor and the connecting gear off of the car since they are not needed. Well i was right and wrong. The car did notice the wing is missing despite my efforts to fool it. Does any one know how to get and keep the wing malfunction error from appearing every time i exceed 8 MPH? I know that a few people have got rid of the stock wing to substitute a carbon fiber one. I can't believe that they all live with a giant wing malfunction graphic on the dash all the time. Any suggestions would be great. thanks

i know that we kept the motors in place, but we simply disengaged the connection to the wing. this information was provided to me by a fellow LP member "jimgaraham":

The previous wing come off really easy after removing the under panel. The motor system simply pulls or pushes the cable drive to the sliding tilt mechanism under the rear fin.

You can disconnect the sliders carefully and fold them back onto themselves and leave them in place... or be barbaric about it and cut them off. I have left mine on and so the whole thing can be reversed and the original wing fitted again.

You will then disengage the drive motor at the passenger end of the bonnet and the worm gear will nnot try to make any motion any more... this is important otherwise if you do not disconnect this the the system will try to move and jam the cable drive then flag a fault condition. If you do this correctly the motor does not know what it is doing and believes that it is still raising the fin about 70 and it's happy... no faults.

Next before fitting the wing I recommend you run wires for the brake light and camera ( power and signal ) through the wing down the bonnet underside and into the car to connect it to the power etc.

Thanks, but i thing what you are describing is what i have allready done. I have left the motor and kept it plugged in to the wiring harness. I have removed the cables that move the wing so i feel that is what you are describing. maybe when i removed the cables i messed up something internal in the motor so even thought it can move freely without the cables it thinks it is binded up or in the wrong position. That is if i have done what you have described. I think i will unplug the motor wiring harness all together and see what happens.

i know that we kept the motors in place, but we simply disengaged the connection to the wing. this information was provided to me by a fellow LP member "jimgaraham":

The previous wing come off really easy after removing the under panel. The motor system simply pulls or pushes the cable drive to the sliding tilt mechanism under the rear fin.

You can disconnect the sliders carefully and fold them back onto themselves and leave them in place... or be barbaric about it and cut them off. I have left mine on and so the whole thing can be reversed and the original wing fitted again.

You will then disengage the drive motor at the passenger end of the bonnet and the worm gear will nnot try to make any motion any more... this is important otherwise if you do not disconnect this the the system will try to move and jam the cable drive then flag a fault condition. If you do this correctly the motor does not know what it is doing and believes that it is still raising the fin about 70 and it's happy... no faults.

Next before fitting the wing I recommend you run wires for the brake light and camera ( power and signal ) through the wing down the bonnet underside and into the car to connect it to the power etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I'm next to ask. All the wires are still there, the motor still runs and we just disconnected the arms connected to the motor, so that the motor will still function when its told to, but we are still getting the warning light after hitting freeway speeds. Any suggestions?