suspension balljoint

Albert-LP

i have to change mine rear balljoints: how often do you change them? i think they last no more than 2 K miles: is this correct?

Did anyone ever use some racing steel/steel balljoint without PTFE inside?

ciao

There is NO rear ball joint on the Countach suspension.

The rod ends that I use are used by the Porsche ACR racing teams, and they are PTFE lined, and the last for years. They are also used on Street Rods for the suspension.

Chadbourn Bolles

i have to change mine rear balljoints: how often do you change them? i think they last no more than 2 K miles: is this correct?

Did anyone ever use some racing steel/steel balljoint without PTFE inside?

ciao

There is NO rear ball joint on the Countach suspension.

The rod ends that I use are used by the Porsche ACR racing teams, and they are PTFE lined, and the last for years. They are also used on Street Rods for the suspension.

Chadbourn Bolles

May be i called balljoint what you call "heim joint".

I changed four joints of the rear suspension, and now, after two k miles, they start to have some movement (play?) so I supposed also others will last no more than 2 k miles.

How much do they cost each the joint you use, Chad? I mean the M14 big joint on the body side of the rear suspension

ciao

Actually the name Heim Joint is owned by a company. They are really called Rod Ends.

The ones I use are not like Lamborghini parts, but then again I want to use my car and do not care that the part is just like a Lamborghini part. Then again the ones I use don' t cost over $200.00 each. I think that is the last price I saw from Lambo.

If the ones you had fail, were purchased from someone on this site and not from Lambo, that is why you had a failure, the were junk when new.

If I think about it tomorrow, I will send you a pic of my suspension, like I said not Lambo parts, but I do not have to worry about them failing me after several miles.

Regards

Chadbourn Bolles

I changed four joints of the rear suspension, and now, after two k miles, they start to have some movement (play?) so I supposed also others will last no more than 2 k miles.

How much do they cost each the joint you use, Chad? I mean the M14 big joint on the body side of the rear suspension

ciao

Thanks, Chad.

Mine joints, the ones changed 1800 miles ago, are Lamborghini Factory official spare parts.

ciao

Actually the name Heim Joint is owned by a company. They are really called Rod Ends.

The ones I use are not like Lamborghini parts, but then again I want to use my car and do not care that the part is just like a Lamborghini part. Then again the ones I use don' t cost over $200.00 each. I think that is the last price I saw from Lambo.

If the ones you had fail, were purchased from someone on this site and not from Lambo, that is why you had a failure, the were junk when new.

If I think about it tomorrow, I will send you a pic of my suspension, like I said not Lambo parts, but I do not have to worry about them failing me after several miles.

Regards

Chadbourn Bolles

ciao

I would agree with Chad that going the heim joint route looks the most sensible, the parts in the UK to re-bush the whole car with OE bits runs close to 6K GBP! The heims however are shorter than the OE parts and so new suspension tubes will need to be made to make sure there is a sensible thread engagement (not really a big job), plus the heims are narrower, so some spacers are also required. In the UK Mcgills Motorsport looks to have all of the bits required i.e. heims, spacers and even threaded inserts to weld into the tubes.

In addition there is also a company in the States Vulcan R&D that is looking to re-manufacture these joints, plus an upgraded joint i.e. without the nylon ring in the bush which wears very quickly. At the moment the project is on hold as they are waiting for old donor parts from owners to take a look at and measure etc.

I would agree with Chad that going the heim joint route looks the most sensible, the parts in the UK to re-bush the whole car with OE bits runs close to 6K GBP! The heims however are shorter than the OE parts and so new suspension tubes will need to be made to make sure there is a sensible thread engagement (not really a big job), plus the heims are narrower, so some spacers are also required. In the UK Mcgills Motorsport looks to have all of the bits required i.e. heims, spacers and even threaded inserts to weld into the tubes.

In addition there is also a company in the States Vulcan R&D that is looking to re-manufacture these joints, plus an upgraded joint i.e. without the nylon ring in the bush which wears very quickly. At the moment the project is on hold as they are waiting for old donor parts from owners to take a look at and measure etc.

Dear sp1der, please tell Vulcan R&D that very soon i will send them a whole set of weared OEM parts: they can keep them, open it and destroy as well if necessary. I can pay for a new OEM set one time, but i do not want to waste all those moneys every year or two.

Let me know.

Thanks

ciao

Give me their address, I have boxes of used ones. be glad to work with them, letting them have the old parts.

Suspension tubes, it really depends on the year of the car. The 82 car I have can use the rod ends that I have with no problem. Yes you still have to use spacers, which I have a box of.

Chadbourn Bolles

in the States Vulcan R&D that is looking to re-manufacture these joints, plus an upgraded joint i.e. without the nylon ring in the bush which wears very quickly. At the moment the project is on hold as they are waiting for old donor parts from owners to take a look at and measure etc.

Please find address below, I had volunteered a set in March when I return back to the UK. I was just going straight to motorsport Heim joints until I could find a sensible set of replacments for the OEM style joints. Hardrace is another company that may have something more or less off the shelf if the old bush can be pressed out.

Vulcan Research & Development

4200 Hoerner Rd, Little Rock, AR 72209

[email protected]

Jim Falcon

VP Manufacturing

[email protected]

Will be talking to them today 23 Sep.

Chadbourn Bolles

ok, Chat what we do now? Do we both contact this firm?

ciao

Will be talking to them today 23 Sep.

Chadbourn Bolles

I take it that everyone has given up on Kurt and his Heim's since there has been no activity or updates from him in months?

Chad, are you looking at this company (Vulcan R&D) to make the entire sets of Heim Joints (Front & Rear)?

Mike

I had a mail from Chadbourn and he tried to call Vulcan yesterday but NG, so he has mailed them instead. do you know if you can actually press the old bushes out from the rod ends? I know the larger front one is designed to be replaceable but not sure about the others?

Simon

I had a mail from Chadbourn and he tried to call Vulcan yesterday but NG, so he has mailed them instead. do you know if you can actually press the old bushes out from the rod ends? I know the larger front one is designed to be replaceable but not sure about the others?

Simon

The big front one is replaceable, but the rears are not. As a side note, after having mine apart, I don't think the bend in the original joints is that important. A straight shaft heim joint should be ok. Making new suspension tubes is not a problem.