Need landscaping help/advice

Lirim318

If you have an artistic eye, design it yourself. You can buy software that helps you with it. Also look at some books/magazines that have landscaping ideas. I designed my own yard then paid a contractor to do the hard stuff like laying a brick patio and installing irrigation, and I did the planting myself.

I recommend you spend extra to get a quality all-brass sprinkler valve. Those cheap plastic ones will break in a few years and it's a pain to replace them (ask me how I know). The all-brass ones last forever except for you'll have to replace the electric solenoid every several years (a simple task). The cost differential between plastic and brass valves is worth it.

I don't know what it costs to run a landscape company, but I do know what it costs to run a company in general, so I have an idea of the overhead on those items that you mentioned, and I know what labor costs in my area.

Additionally, straight from the landscape company owner's mouth was this: "We mark up our plants/shrubs 150% from the local yards, and you're paying for the convenience of having my labor force install it." This was my example, not intended to be a barometer for all homeowners.

What stevecerr mentioned above is the way to go for sure. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Save half or more on plants after you get the design work done and then get your own labor. Good luck and nice house Lirim318...

Im with you... Unless youre installing hardscape, 6K for a couple of trees is a fcuking ripoff.... Ive got a shovel.... And I can rent a Bobcat and backhoe if I need to go deeper than that.