Murci with a miss

Kipper

Hi Members

Approximately 2 years ago my 2002 Murci developed a miss, I found the problem which was water around the plugs and the coil pack, changed the plugs cleaned it all up and it has been running like a dream.

Tonight i was driving its a warm night filled up with fuel drove about 10 minutes pulled up at the lights and an obvious miss developed. For some reason now I suspect that it may be a faulty coil pack? I don't expect it to be water around the plugs again as I do not wash or wet the engine.

I am not sure about water in the fuel, the miss does not appear like that it is like it is the same cylinder.

I will try to run the car in the morning after it has cooled down to see if the miss goes away, A suspect coil pack might be ok for a short time after it has cooled down?

2 years ago Jeff Lambo posted a reply about my miss and suggested that I could have a coil pack problem causing the miss and that the earlier Murcies have a weakness with the original coils. I have no reason to question Jeff as he seems to have a lot of experience, therefore a new set of coils might be the go?

My questions are as follows:

1) Should I just go ahead and change all the coils anyway my Murci has 20,000 miles

2) Is there an easy way of checking for water in the fuel

3) Where can I buy 12 replacement coils for the right price (other than Eurospares) I already know of them

4) Is their anything else that I may be missing here

Your comments will be appreciated

Kipper

Probably is your coil packs...if you had the problem before and only cleaned/dried the area, that simply put a band aid on the problem. The early coil packs would allow water to pool at the bottom of them, thus creating rust over time and hence, creating your miss in your idle or running rough. Best to replace, and with 20k miles on the car, probably something you should look closely at anyways. It's almost certain that it's not water in your fuel...start with the obvious first, which is the known weak point of the ignition system, the coil packs.

Best of luck. At least it's a fairly easy fix.

Probably is your coil packs...if you had the problem before and only cleaned/dried the area, that simply put a band aid on the problem. The early coil packs would allow water to pool at the bottom of them, thus creating rust over time and hence, creating your miss in your idle or running rough. Best to replace, and with 20k miles on the car, probably something you should look closely at anyways. It's almost certain that it's not water in your fuel...start with the obvious first, which is the known weak point of the ignition system, the coil packs.

Thanks Kaoss

Do you know of anyone in the US that is worth contacting for the supply of the coils?

Kipper

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Kaoss

I purchased and installed the new coil packs and WOW what a difference, it is a different car runs so crisp and smooooth

Anyone out there with an early Murci and more than 15K miles best advice as given to me by Jeff lambo (CHANGE YOUR COIL PACKS)

Thanks so much to all

Kipper

Thanks Kaoss

I purchased and installed the new coil packs and WOW what a difference, it is a different car runs so crisp and smooooth

Anyone out there with an early Murci and more than 15K miles best advice as given to me by Jeff lambo (CHANGE YOUR COIL PACKS)

Thanks so much to all

Kipper

Not to be too personal, but what did this set you back? I have an 03 and would consider when I get a few more miles. Thanks.