Help Removing Plastic Engine Panels

GBGallardo

Was talking to Rick (Doltmo) in California about this last year and I forgot his instructions. Looking to remove those two plastic pieces that are circled. Possibly the one in the far rear of the engine bay as well. They're faded and really don't serve much of a purpose anymore with the intakes being re-routed. Anyone?

post-12151-1328749503_thumb.png

I loosened mine but did not totally remove them recently when installing LED engine bay lighting. It was straight forward just loosening the visible screws top and bottom. The only catch is taking off the lower attachment point of the small strut that holds the bonnet up. It is on a long bolt extension and has to be taken off that before the panel will come off totally. I did not do that step. I don't know how strong the strut is or how difficult it would be to extend it back out to reattach it.

It's a joke...A few small torx screws, and use a small flat head to 'gently' pull back on the locking collar for the lower strut ball (you don't need to pop it off...Just pry it back 1/4"). Then 13mm wrench to remove the ball..and the panel pops off...It's so easy. The strut is easy to modulate by hand, but you may want a prop rod (or girlfriend) to hold the hatch up while you do it.

If you remove the panel under the rear window, be very careful not to drop any of the screws. You will never find them. (don't ask me why I know this)