2006 Gallardo Brake lights get extreamly hot

touchless

As I have been learning my Gallardo and enjoying it more. As an x jet Machanic, I like to learn about my cars and I noticed how hot the brake light lenses get and the body around both lights.

Has anyone had the same problem?

They get very hot and when R&Ring the brake light bulb, I noticed the wireing wrap was brittle from the heat.

Does the 2006 have a recall on this ?

Some of the inside of the light lense on left and right have melting marks. Not real bad, but enought to ask these questions.

I have an aftermarket exhaust and don't notice any heat. I doubt the heat is from the bulb. As Turbo50Mike said, it's probably from the exhaust. You can use heat wrap around the pipes to keep the heat down. Also, are there any check engine lights? How is the coolant level? I avoid excessive idling in traffic.

Change the exhaust...The stock exhaust sits under them.

So the heat shields are worthless or just to close and should they be relpaced with non stock parts or stock ?

Is there better heat shields to use insted of new exaust? its only got 17000 miles ?

Thanks for your advice Turbo50mike

I have an aftermarket exhaust and don't notice any heat. I doubt the heat is from the bulb. As Turbo50Mike said, it's probably from the exhaust. You can use heat wrap around the pipes to keep the heat down. Also, are there any check engine lights? How is the coolant level? I avoid excessive idling in traffic.

The bulb was burnt out so I replaced it. Thats when I noticed the wire wrap overheated and britle

No check engine lights on and although the temp gage looks fine, I will check it in the am when its cool.

Thanks djantlive

Check to make sure the correct wattage bulb is being used. With an '06, the original factory bulbs may have been replaced with a non-standard (brighter/hotter) bulb by someone who did not know or couldn't find the correct wattage.

Check to make sure the correct wattage bulb is being used. With an '06, the original factory bulbs may have been replaced with a non-standard (brighter/hotter) bulb by someone who did not know or couldn't find the correct wattage.

Rick,

The bulb is not the problem, the right side is the same and the bulb is fine. The brake light lenses are getting very hot arter a 30 min. drive. There are heat shields in that area of the light but still extreamly hot.

Rick,

The bulb is not the problem, the right side is the same and the bulb is fine. The brake light lenses are getting very hot arter a 30 min. drive. There are heat shields in that area of the light but still extreamly hot.

Wow, that's strange. I've probably got more hours/miles on a 2006 Gallardo that anybody in the country and I've never had this problem. I did have the rear side marker light melt, but I think it was due to the bulb getting too close to the plastic and too much night time driving.

The exhaust pipes are usually pretty far away from the tail lights. Although the factory heat shield might trap the heat and channel it sideways towards the tail lights.