LP560 differential / tranny fluids..

Kisco

Just wondering, what fluids are you guys using for rear diff / tranny and front diff on the 560? (i have seen a lot of info on the pre 560s, but not the 560)

I am hearing Castrol Syntec 75W 90 for front diff, and I have been hearing mixed results for the rear diff / tranny.

560 owners, can you please chime in and tell me (us 560 owners) what you use for tranny/diffs fluids?? TIA

My dealer sold me the Agip Rotra LSX (Same that was used in the previous years) for my 560. They claimed there were no differences in the Trans/Diff, and that the factory only recommends Castrol now since they 'sponsor' Lamborghini.

Although I will probably try the Redline fluids this summer when I change them again...Alot of people say the Redline stuff makes the trans/diff smoother.

My dealer sold me the Agip Rotra LSX (Same that was used in the previous years) for my 560. They claimed there were no differences in the Trans/Diff, and that the factory only recommends Castrol now since they 'sponsor' Lamborghini.

Although I will probably try the Redline fluids this summer when I change them again...Alot of people say the Redline stuff makes the trans/diff smoother.

Mike, is this what you will use for both diffs and tranny??

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=133&pcid=4

If not, can you point out which one(s) you will use for which application? Thanks a lot.

I have used Redline on my LP560.

75w-90 GL-5 gear oil for the front diff and a mix of 75w90 GL-5 gear oil and 75w90NS GL-5 for the rear diff/trans

I have used Redline on my LP560.

75w-90 GL-5 gear oil for the front diff and a mix of 75w90 GL-5 gear oil and 75w90NS GL-5 for the rear diff/trans

Hmmm...I am reading that it is a no-no to run GL-5, for a reason I am not sure of. This is just what I read on the other forums. But obviously if you are running it and haven't had any issues, then it must be fine.

I think I am going to give MTL a try. I just need to confirm it is OK to use this fluid in both the front diff and rear diff/tranny and if any additives are needed with it or not. :icon_mrgreen:

If I remember right, for pre-LP cars they only recommend GL-4 and MTL is GL-4. For LP560, GL-5 is recommended. I will double check though as I don't want to post wrong information.

If I remember right, for pre-LP cars they only recommend GL-4 and MTL is GL-4. For LP560, GL-5 is recommended. I will double check though as I don't want to post wrong information.

Please do check and let me know, Memo. I appreciate all the help. Thank you.

I will check with my lambo tech friend and post back. The LP is not here at the moment, it is sitting at my storage garage (20min away) so don't have the manual handy. I can go and look at the manual tomorrow.

Manual says:

rear diff / tranny: BURMAH 70W-75

front diff: BURMAH SAF-AG4

But I don't now much about this GL4 / GL5 business. I am still confused as to what to run because there is MTL which is GL4 based, and then there is 75W90 which is GL5 based. Hmm...

Manual says:

rear diff / tranny: BURMAH 70W-75

front diff: BURMAH SAF-AG4

But I don't now much about this GL4 / GL5 business. I am still confused as to what to run because there is MTL which is GL4 based, and then there is 75W90 which is GL5 based. Hmm...

To be safe, I would recommend getting the exact oil specified by manual instead of looking for an equivalent until more information on the oil is known.

Front diff oil Burmah SAF-AG4 can be purchased at Audi/VW or Porsche dealer (Audi / VW Oil No. N 052145000, Porsche Oil No. 999.917.545.00

Rear diff and transmission oil Burmah 70w-75 is a special order at lambo stuff dot com

To be safe, I would recommend getting the exact oil specified by manual instead of looking for an equivalent until more information on the oil is known.

Front diff oil Burmah SAF-AG4 can be purchased at Audi/VW or Porsche dealer (Audi / VW Oil No. N 052145000, Porsche Oil No. 999.917.545.00

Rear diff and transmission oil Burmah 70w-75 is a special order at lambo stuff dot com

Thanks for the info.

After speaking with a couple of people, I have ordered Redline 75W90 GL-5 for both the front diff and the rear diff / tranny. I will most certainly bring this thread back TTT after I pack on 2-3000 miles to let update all 560 owners of how this fluid feels.

Thanks to everyone, particularly Josh@ECS and Memo for their great help. Oh, and Mike, thanks for always being so supportive to the community. You rock! :icon_super:

After speaking with a couple of people, I have ordered Redline 75W90 GL-5 for both the front diff and the rear diff / tranny. I will most certainly bring this thread back TTT after I pack on 2-3000 miles to let update all 560 owners of how this fluid feels.

Thanks to everyone, particularly Josh@ECS and Memo for their great help. Oh, and Mike, thanks for always being so supportive to the community. You rock! :icon_super:

What's the story with this, though...From the Redline website...

75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil

Most popular Red Line gear oil, with thousands of applications for passenger cars, light trucks, and racing vehicles

Contains additional friction modifiers for suitability with clutch-type limited slip differentials - for most LSDs, no additional friction modifiers are required

This product is not designed for use in most manual transmissions or transaxles in passenger vehicles, since the extreme slipperiness may cause synchronizer mesh issues that lead to shifting problems

What's the story with this, though...From the Redline website...

75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil

Most popular Red Line gear oil, with thousands of applications for passenger cars, light trucks, and racing vehicles

Contains additional friction modifiers for suitability with clutch-type limited slip differentials - for most LSDs, no additional friction modifiers are required

This product is not designed for use in most manual transmissions or transaxles in passenger vehicles, since the extreme slipperiness may cause synchronizer mesh issues that lead to shifting problems

I will call Redline tomorrow and ask them about it.

Josh @ ECS said he has done several 560s with 75W90 with no issues at all and it is what he recommends. But if this is an issue then I will simply replace the current fluids with the OEM fluid and diminish any headaches.

Besides accessibility of the stock fluid, I see no point of using redline since it's not necessarily better. Since the stock fluid can be purchased at porsche, audi and vw dealers, I would think you are safer sticking to stock fluid.

The front doesn't really need to be changed at 15k mi, more like 30k mi at most.

If it were my car, I would change the rear diff with stock fluid and call it a day. Transmission is too costly to take the risk.

Besides accessibility of the stock fluid, I see no point of using redline since it's not necessarily better. Since the stock fluid can be purchased at porsche, audi and vw dealers, I would think you are safer sticking to stock fluid.

The front doesn't really need to be changed at 15k mi, more like 30k mi at most.

If it were my car, I would change the rear diff with stock fluid and call it a day. Transmission is too costly to take the risk.

Thanks dj, and points well made. I did buy the redline 75W90 (7 qts), but doesn't mean I will put it in really. I can always swing by the VW/Porsche dealer like you said and pick up the OEM fluids. We will see. Thanks again.