Sticking fuel level

Night Life

So this annoying thing just started, I was almost out of gas 2 days ago to the point light came on etc... I fill with gas as normal, I always use premium and always use same manufacture.

I start the car and level reads empty with fuel light on. I drive for some time and after half hour it finally pops back to life. But now every time I turn engine off happens all over again, and only after driving for some time will it work properly again.

Suggestions and advise please.

Pull off your instrument panel dash and check the wires for continuity. Might have a short or be loose. You can also try running a jumper from one of the other gauge's ground wires if the ground is bad.

You might change the fuel level float switch in the tank... it's not too bad of a job to do. (my 94 had acted up like this... )

You might change the fuel level float switch in the tank... it's not too bad of a job to do. (my 94 had acted up like this... )

Tell me more about procedure please ?

• 2 weeks later...

My fuel gauge has done that before. Sometimes, never quite makes it to full after fill up.

Sometimes, have a half tank when finished driving........get in next day, gas guage goes to

empty pretty damn quick. 1st half of tank always "lasts" longer than last half....if you know what I mean!

I've been dealing with this for years, mine has never worked right. The fuel gauge in my car is strictly for entertainment purposes only, when drive the car I use the odometer to estimate how much fuel I have.

My fuel gauge has done that before. Sometimes, never quite makes it to full after fill up.

Sometimes, have a half tank when finished driving........get in next day, gas guage goes to

empty pretty damn quick. 1st half of tank always "lasts" longer than last half....if you know what I mean!

Yes, yes I do, you have what is called a cone shaped gas tank :D

Mine does the same, looks like great gas mileage till half way point then I can practically see the needle go down every mile I drive :D:D

Glad to report my sticking fuel gauge went away all by itself. Everything works as normal again so not sure WTF happened.