Double din unit for Murcielago stereo

Camel Toe Juice

Jon,

I sounds like we are on the same wavelength. After taking photos from the inside of the dash I can see all those securing point you describe. I want to achive a nice secure solution but be able to slide in the unit easily. I need this because I am thinking about a few different units now. Whilst the Kenwood DNX9990HD is nice, its made for North America market and I do not think I can load the Australian maps as the internal memory is locked and there is only a 4GB SD for map update. On the good news side there a many new Andriod based multi media head units available which have a nice 7" HD screen and I can choice from a few different GPS solutions, plus there is support for WiFi and 3G

Sorry I little off topic. I will take more of the console apart tomorrow. I still have not ordered the head unit yet and will make sure I get the matching cage. Thanks for the final tip offer, once i get close to the end I will PM you.

oh the unit you pick doesnt matter to me, in the end 90% of them will work perfectly fine in anyone else double din casing. So your fine, the hard work is not picking out a double din, but getting the dask to accept one.

Also you reminded me of the securing bracket behind the unit, I DID reuse that (I see in your current setup, you bent it away). Although I mounted a different securing strap, but that 3rd point of referecne coming from the top, I tied into the bottom cross brace I made. This way you have AT LEAST 3 points of securing. Again though I think I came up with about 4 in total.. and then once I created the bracing I put in the finishing touch.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

captain351, how are you getting along on the stereo upgrade? I'm itching to do the same and was hoping to learn from you to ease the process...

• 2 weeks later...
captain351, how are you getting along on the stereo upgrade? I'm itching to do the same and was hoping to learn from you to ease the process...

Actually with the Christmas break and work I have not done much since my last report. Also been busy organising to attend the Lamborghini 50th Anniversary in Italy. Now that I have that finalised I plan to get back to the double din project. Worse come to worse I can track down someone during the factory visit in May if I need some final bits or advice :-)

I must admit I got a little distracted trying to make up my mind what to fit in the double din after I finish it. I was going down the Kenwwood path, but there are so many new Android based systems that offer much more in terms of internet and streaming services I cannot make up my mind now. So I thought I would wait to see what Kenwood release this year. Its definitely been fun planning the project an exporing the world inside the dash.

In the process of working out how to take out and fit the new AC/ Radio support frame I fixed a problem I had with the Instrument cluster buttons. Someone in the past repaired one of the fine connector cables and while having the molex style pin out put it back in the wrong positn so the connectors did not line up. I will post an article on this shortly which should also help those wanting to gain access to the centre console to install a double din. I have some new photos to share as well that shows the imfamous 3 x hex bolts which secure the single din / ac radio frame.

Happy to help you out with your project.

i do have one quick update with photo inisde the dash. There has been several references to 3 bolts holding the AC / Radio frame to the top of the dash from the inside. I have found the easiest way to access these hex head bolts, is with both the instrument cluster and the dual air vent duct tubing and bezels removed. See photo attached. Notice the first hex bolt holding the AC / Radio assembly. The AC / Radio assembly needs to be entirely removed if you plan to use the factory double din replacement part or create your own bracket which is secured at the top by the three bolts. With the Instrument cluster removed, it is relatively easy to get to the vent ducting so you then can see and work on the securing bolts of the ac / radio frame.

I think this picture turned out well. I used a compact digital camera and shot the photo from inside of the dash with the cluster removed.

inside_dash.jpg

i do have one quick update with photo inisde the dash. There has been several references to 3 bolts holding the AC / Radio frame to the top of the dash from the inside. I have found the easiest way to access these hex head bolts, is with both the instrument cluster and the dual air vent duct tubing and bezels removed. See photo attached. Notice the first hex bolt holding the AC / Radio assembly. The AC / Radio assembly needs to be entirely removed if you plan to use the factory double din replacement part or create your own bracket which is secured at the top by the three bolts. With the Instrument cluster removed, it is relatively easy to get to the vent ducting so you then can see and work on the securing bolts of the ac / radio frame.

I think this picture turned out well. I used a compact digital camera and shot the photo from inside of the dash with the cluster removed.

inside_dash.jpg

Excellent write up , RHD too - just perfect.

Should there not be a 90degree elbow fixing on the back of those two centre air vents ?

• 4 months later...
Excellent write up , RHD too - just perfect.

Should there not be a 90degree elbow fixing on the back of those two centre air vents ?

String, not sure. A little further back (out of the photo) view there is the back support assembly for the AC/radio unit. In one of my earlier photos you can see this.

Good news all. I finally obtained the correct Console assembly from Lamborghini. I will post photos soon as I start the double din conversion. I was lucky enough to attend the 50th anniversary Grande Giro and while at the factory tracked down the parts and purchased through a local dealer in Bologna. Stayed tuned Ciao

What upgraded kenwood unit would work in place of the factory unit for a 08 LP640. My car has an upgraded amp and speakers on the factory unit which is total shit. Any recommendations?

• 3 weeks later...
What upgraded kenwood unit would work in place of the factory unit for a 08 LP640. My car has an upgraded amp and speakers on the factory unit which is total shit. Any recommendations?

I would hit up Goldstar Audio in Irvine, they have done the work on all my toys at reasonable prices.

I would hit up Goldstar Audio in Irvine, they have done the work on all my toys at reasonable prices.

Thanks, but a little out of the way.

Thanks, but a little out of the way.

What about Al and Ed's? THey've done a lot of Murci work.

Also close to your house is Virgil at Audio 2000. Virgil is really close to Lambo beverly hills repair facility. Virgil did some work on my Murci and he's really good and professional and knows these cars inside and out.

The Place cartman mentioned is highly recommended.

Any of those 3 will get you done well.

String, not sure. A little further back (out of the photo) view there is the back support assembly for the AC/radio unit. In one of my earlier photos you can see this.

Good news all. I finally obtained the correct Console assembly from Lamborghini. I will post photos soon as I start the double din conversion. I was lucky enough to attend the 50th anniversary Grande Giro and while at the factory tracked down the parts and purchased through a local dealer in Bologna. Stayed tuned Ciao

I'm in for the update on this. Whats the part number for those who want to do this in the future, and what did you decide on for a stereo surround since the factory single did one wont work.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm in for the update on this. Whats the part number for those who want to do this in the future, and what did you decide on for a stereo surround since the factory single did one wont work.

Jon sorry for the delay in replying. Have been very busy after returning from the 50Th Anniversary in Italy. My Murci needed some TLC after a developing a split in the coolant overflow line. Its really fun how some of these pipes are routed in the engine :-) Anyway I replaced the line myself and all systems are go. However with the big car weekend in Monterey looming I am already packing for the holiday in the US.

Well back to business. Here are the parts for the Lamborghini Double DIN frame you need for replace the single DIN assembly in the 2003 Murcielago. The part numbers are the same for all models with the double din ac/assembly fitted.

P/N 410861941D A/C Panel Assembly QTY 1 (Item 22 in the diagram below)

P/N 410035905A LP670 Support QTY 1

ddin_part.jpg

The Cage Support (410035905A) is in fact the cage the original kenwood unit slides into and this in turn fits into the A/C Panel Assembly.

For the actual Double DIN Stereo Surround (Bezel) which is shown in the above diagram as item 26 there has already been several posts on this. For people planning to do this upgrade the old single din surround needs to be replaced. In my case I was lucky to find a second hand Lamborghini Carbon fibre Double Din surround. The part number for the surround is 410035422K by the way for those looking at this upgrade in the future. Please note if your thinking of making one of these see the image below. The back has some critical clips and several threaded metal posts. Unfortunately this part is not cheap and the original single din surround is too wide already, to simply cut the bottom section out. Even the aftermarket carbon fibre manufacturers who make Lamborghini alternative parts charge just as much as Lamborghini for this Double Din surround. So in my opinion if your already paying the same amount why not keep your car value using Lamborghini parts. I had to wait a while to find all my parts.

dd_frame_back.jpg

Being over in Italy I was lucky enough to visit the Lamborghini factory and correctly identify the parts thanks to the assistance of the spare parts manager. So I hope this helps. I am still waiting for the release of the new Kenwood Multimedia Unit I have selected to go in my Murci. It is currently available in the as the DNN990HD and will be released in Australia as the DNN9330BT in August. So for now I am putting things on hold and will pick up the project again when I return from Monterey.

Modo as someone else has mentioned, provided the physical dimensions checkout you can most likely use one of the later model Kenwoods or equivalent product provided you match the wiring to the new units pinouts. You might even get lucky and find there is little wiring modification. Of course if you have professional car HiFi installers experienced with Lamborghini upgrades near you then thats probably the best option. If it helps here is a spec sheet from Kenwood listing all the units which were fitted in the Lamborghini Murcielago up to 2009/10. Both Europe and USA.

By the way I have been researching the latest Kenwood unit to put in my Murcielago and decided on the new connector receiver technology. The DNN990HD (DNN9330BT in Aust) looks to be the ticket and was only released a few months ago. Here is a link you will find useful to the products manuals http://manual.kenwood.com/edition/im365/

Kenwood_models.jpg

Hope this helps

Modo as someone else has mentioned, provided the physical dimensions checkout you can most likely use one of the later model Kenwoods or equivalent product provided you match the wiring to the new units pinouts. You might even get lucky and find there is little wiring modification. Of course if you have professional car HiFi installers experienced with Lamborghini upgrades near you then thats probably the best option. If it helps here is a spec sheet from Kenwood listing all the units which were fitted in the Lamborghini Murcielago up to 2009/10. Both Europe and USA.

By the way I have been researching the latest Kenwood unit to put in my Murcielago and decided on the new connector receiver technology. The DNN990HD (DNN9330BT in Aust) looks to be the ticket and was only released a few months ago. Here is a link you will find useful to the products manuals http://manual.kenwood.com/edition/im365/

Kenwood_models.jpg

Hope this helps

Thanks, the DNN990HD is exactly what I decided too

I just had a DNN990HD and CMOS-310 camera installed. The install is very ghetto for now till I order the correct cage and modify the surround.

As far as the 990HD goes I do have some disappointments. It takes about 45 seconds to operate after starting the car. The backup camera will operate immediately, but any other function has to wait till booted. If you are using an iPod the wait is even longer. About 1-1.5 minutes from the time you start the car till the first note will come out the speakers. In retrospect I wish I had gone with the 890HD, basically same unit with no Wi-Fi and no wait times. Perhaps as the customer base increases there will be firmware updates.

Mike

IMG_20130715_00422.jpg

IMG_20130715_00421.jpg

Shit I didn't know about the delay. That's kinda sucks, to be honest I'm thinking the wifi is a little pointeless. I just have the factory unit, makes no god damn sense.

Thank you Captain351 for the great info.

Your Welcome. i hope to get stuck into the DDIN uograde when I am back from Monterey. Also with spring approaching in September it will be more favourable working in the garage. Once I get underway I will post photos and notes on the process.

I just had a DNN990HD and CMOS-310 camera installed. The install is very ghetto for now till I order the correct cage and modify the surround.

As far as the 990HD goes I do have some disappointments. It takes about 45 seconds to operate after starting the car. The backup camera will operate immediately, but any other function has to wait till booted. If you are using an iPod the wait is even longer. About 1-1.5 minutes from the time you start the car till the first note will come out the speakers. In retrospect I wish I had gone with the 890HD, basically same unit with no Wi-Fi and no wait times. Perhaps as the customer base increases there will be firmware updates.

Mike

Mike great photos. This really helps me becuase now I know how the DNN990HD looks in the car. That delay is unfortnate and side effect of booting up Android and supporting applicaton servcies. Interesting you should mention the 890HD I looked at that too. Its also a good unit.

I think I can live with a few minutes to get all things operational. It takes me much longer mucking around with other stuff in the car. I would guess Kenwood will improve on the boot time.

Jon sorry for the delay in replying. Have been very busy after returning from the 50Th Anniversary in Italy. My Murci needed some TLC after a developing a split in the coolant overflow line. Its really fun how some of these pipes are routed in the engine :-) Anyway I replaced the line myself and all systems are go. However with the big car weekend in Monterey looming I am already packing for the holiday in the US.

Well back to business. Here are the parts for the Lamborghini Double DIN frame you need for replace the single DIN assembly in the 2003 Murcielago. The part numbers are the same for all models with the double din ac/assembly fitted.

P/N 410861941D A/C Panel Assembly QTY 1 (Item 22 in the diagram below)

P/N 410035905A LP670 Support QTY 1

ddin_part.jpg

The Cage Support (410035905A) is in fact the cage the original kenwood unit slides into and this in turn fits into the A/C Panel Assembly.

For the actual Double DIN Stereo Surround (Bezel) which is shown in the above diagram as item 26 there has already been several posts on this. For people planning to do this upgrade the old single din surround needs to be replaced. In my case I was lucky to find a second hand Lamborghini Carbon fibre Double Din surround. The part number for the surround is 410035422K by the way for those looking at this upgrade in the future. Please note if your thinking of making one of these see the image below. The back has some critical clips and several threaded metal posts. Unfortunately this part is not cheap and the original single din surround is too wide already, to simply cut the bottom section out. Even the aftermarket carbon fibre manufacturers who make Lamborghini alternative parts charge just as much as Lamborghini for this Double Din surround. So in my opinion if your already paying the same amount why not keep your car value using Lamborghini parts. I had to wait a while to find all my parts.

dd_frame_back.jpg

Being over in Italy I was lucky enough to visit the Lamborghini factory and correctly identify the parts thanks to the assistance of the spare parts manager. So I hope this helps. I am still waiting for the release of the new Kenwood Multimedia Unit I have selected to go in my Murci. It is currently available in the as the DNN990HD and will be released in Australia as the DNN9330BT in August. So for now I am putting things on hold and will pick up the project again when I return from Monterey.

Spectacular reply. Thanks so much for the detail. The install is still going to be a bitch getting at those top 3 bolts, but that's some excellent information! Thanks for sharing.

Spectacular reply. Thanks so much for the detail. The install is still going to be a bitch getting at those top 3 bolts, but that's some excellent information! Thanks for sharing.

Jon glad you liked the report so far. The three hex blots will be tricky but I have already had the dash apart and from my earlier photos I will be removing the top air duct pipes first and that will give me easy access. The thing I am really worried about, now I have the full A/C assembly, is getting it in. I will post a few photos of this part over the weekend so anyone interested in making there own can get a few ideas.

• 5 weeks later...

Went with the kenwood 890hd, what an awesome unit. Loads faster than the 990, works flawlessly with both my cameras Bluetooth connects with my iPhone. It's a no brainier upgrade. Only downside is you can't see shit in a roadster regardless of screen angle, but in all fairness the OEM unit had the same problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the post and great pictures. Looks pretty good. Did you need any other part other than these three:

410861941D

410035905A

Tx.

Jon glad you liked the report so far. The three hex blots will be tricky but I have already had the dash apart and from my earlier photos I will be removing the top air duct pipes first and that will give me easy access. The thing I am really worried about, now I have the full A/C assembly, is getting it in. I will post a few photos of this part over the weekend so anyone interested in making there own can get a few ideas.

Thanks for all the great info Captain351. Seriously looking into this now.