2wd conversion + Fabspeed exhaust + SV-R gear box = Killer Roadster

Night Life

I just wanted to give a small write up on my performance characteristics after all above mentioned upgrades.

I have a 97.5 Roadster VT because of circumstances that occurred I did some modifications to my car, and I am so happy I did, this thing is a monster. For those of you on the fence of converting from all wheel drive to 2wd DO IT, DO IT DO IT. The car becomes alive again and is easier to drive all around, turning radius is much better, and now you get perfect feel of the road, not to mention you loose over 85lbs in weight.

2nd thing is get a proper exhaust system, I used Fabspeed and I am very impressed, thanks David. It has an aggressive sound but not obnoxious, at around 4000rpm it resonates soooo good makes me smile every time, let off the gas and that distinct POP POP POP POP belows out from rear end :monkeyleft: not to mention a 20+hp gain. But best of all you loose another 120lbs in weight reduction, so all in all you loose 200lbs, thats ridiculous weight reduction :)

Now my icing on the cake was finding a never used SV-R gear box, this is set up for fast gearing in 1,2,3,4th and let me tell you it is insane. If Roy chimes in he will attest to this as he owns a real SV-R. I was just at an event past weekend called Race the Base here is a link http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64201

I was able to put my 5.7 Roadster through some aggressive driving and it performed incredible. I had a chance to go up against a 2001 Diablo 6.0 that has been modified, Larni exhaust etc... the owner is an excellent driver so I was sure I was going to get my a$$ kicked. We went head to head on a 1 mile run, I was having trouble shifting into second as I always hit the gate between reverse and 2nd so I practiced a bit lol.

Light count down RED, AMBER 5 SECOND COUNT DOWN, GREEN and Pow we were off, I was concentrating on my shifts and the road, I was fully expecting to see the 6.0 slowly pull away from me. It was only in 4th gear I had a chance to look at my rear view lol I walked on this thing, I mean every shift I powered way ahead. By the time we reached 1 mile I was at least 8 to 10 car lengths ahead :icon_super:. The driver of the 6.0 was visibly perturbed as the car screamed by me after I left off at the 1 mile :D.

We pull in and they can't believe how much faster I was, they could not catch me if they tried. Not only did my car outperform newer Lambos, it was keeping up toe to toe with some of the faster cars on the track. If it wasn't for my terrible shift gate I could of easily been much faster. At one point I laid a 100 ft long burnout, I didn't mean to do it I was just showing off a little, kind of freaked me out as RCMP were standing on the Tarmac :D:D:D So much power now.

If you want to untame your Diablo do the conversions :icon_super:

Just thought I would share my experience, I am so happy with my beast.

Cheers

hi Roberto

i already have sport exhaust and no cats, more my car is a 97 euro so a bit lighter of the older cars

i am looking at 2wd conversion: which part did you bought for doing it? where and how much for them?

tks you

2wd FTW! as expected.

The Diablo has some long legs, agreed, so that close ratio SVR box must really give it a nice kick!

You mention that only 1-4 have a shorter ratio? With the std. box I find the jump into 5th a bit high, but I guess it was nesseasry to reach those 204mph. How does the 4th to 5th change feel now?

What happend to your old gearbox, since you decided on a swap?

About the 6.0 race, see my thread about Diablo weights, with the mods you have done you are propperly 125-150 kgs lighter than a std. 6.0, and with the short ratio box, well....

Thanks for sharing.

hi Roberto

i already have sport exhaust and no cats, more my car is a 97 euro so a bit lighter of the older cars

i am looking at 2wd conversion: which part did you bought for doing it? where and how much for them?

tks you

Ciao Amigo come stai ? Sorry took so long for reply I was on a mini vacation, went to visit my sister in BC and ran into Rhyno :icon_thumleft:

I talked to Whiteout about conversion, he was able to get me SV axle deletes, not overly expensive and the install I was told was pretty straight forward.

2wd FTW! as expected.

The Diablo has some long legs, agreed, so that close ratio SVR box must really give it a nice kick!

You mention that only 1-4 have a shorter ratio? With the std. box I find the jump into 5th a bit high, but I guess it was necessary to reach those 204mph. How does the 4th to 5th change feel now?

Smooth but 5th feels like I'm going into Overdrive, unless I keep revs high. It's perfect for highway driving, I just returned from a 2500 km trip car was brilliant!!!

What happened to your old gearbox, since you decided on a swap?

I still have the old gear box, I will be keeping it as it is matched to the car which will be great for when it comes time for resale.

Fantastic write up - have you got any sound clips of the exhaust?

No sound clips as of yet, most sound clips are useless as they do not come close to actual sound.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did the 2WD on my 94 VT when I had it - great change for someone who doesnt need the AWD. All you need are the SV pins to replace the shafts you pull out.