Dash removal, how to remove #1

KENCO

1992 Diablo, removed everything else, need to remove #1 in pic. Is it fastened through the front bonnet behind the stereo amplifier panel?

dash.gif

IIRC, #1 is riveted to three brackets. Only way is to drill out those rivets. Not easy to remove with windshield in place. Ask me how I know :eusa_wall:

IIRC, #1 is riveted to three brackets. Only way is to drill out those rivets. Not easy to remove with windshield in place. Ask me how I know :eusa_wall:

Do you know the location? Are they in the front lip under the leather?

By lifting up the corner I can see one of the aluminum brackets that has two rivets in it up through the piece. It still has to be attached on the other end of the bracket somehow, there would be no way for lambo to install the piece otherwise. This weekend I am going to pull the front power amp panel and hunt around.

Confirmed, the nuts are behind the power amp cover surround, the center one is easy, the two sides look like I will have to take the front wheels off and raise the car a little, then it may be possible to get them from the bottom. That will be another day got some other stuff going on Today.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the two side nuts out. If you jack up the body you can access them from inside the wheel well, there is a little area around the upper shock mount on each side, still takes a while. Had to use a flexible ratchet and a camera.

After the three nuts are removed the piece still wont come out, its loose but it seems that the leather is stuck, is it glued?

anyone?

The center bolt looks like the hole it goes into is slotted. The two outside ones I am not sure, this is also what makes it hard to get out. I can try to slot the outside holes but this looks to be difficult or I can cut the outside bolts and upon re-assembly I can use a snap in plastic fastener, and bolt the center back.

Thanks for the info. Keep at it. Let us know

Going out of town this coming weekend, so have to wait till the following weekend to get back at it. I will try to get some pics and post them.

After I get everything re-leathered I guess I should document in pics the way it goes back in, it would probably be helpful to someone else in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

A few pics. Some with the dash removed so far, some with the bolt config, some with the #1 dash pc removed. I decided the best way to get it out was to cut the bolts and after I got the part out I can then enlongate the holes and lengthen the slots. Then I will weld either the cut off bolt or a new bolt back on. With the lengthened slotted holes I should be able to put the piece back in easily.

ResizedImage_1360442115817.jpg

ResizedImage_1360442144078.jpg

ResizedImage_1360442169666.jpg

ResizedImage_1360442205027.jpg

ResizedImage_1360444744602.jpg

ResizedImage_1360444788811.jpg

ResizedImage_1360444764426.jpg

1000x500px_LL_b789c95b_NewJersey051.JPG

I am thinking that the center bolt will be no problem, but the two end ones will be very difficult to get the washer and the nut on from the underside. Taking them off was very tight quarters, putting the nut and washer back on could be close to impossible. Not totally impossible but I may use the bolt and nut in the center and use a plastic press in anchor from the top on the two ends, like I said before.

I was just wondering what everyone thought? Or any other idea's?

anchor_plastic.jpg

• 2 months later...