overheating problem

bahattin

Hi guys,

I have lp570 SL. I drive my car on track once a month. It can do amazing job on track. I love my car when we were on the track, but ı exist overheating problem after one lap. Do anybody knows something about how can i solve this issue?

Thanks.

I've experienced it once at the track, the temp went slightly up and the car self limitd the revs to around 3000 RPM until it cooled down, few minutes, no idea what triggered it, didn't happen again and never on the street.

There were few owners here that experienced similar issues with their STS, I will look for the threads.

Does yours do it on the street or only at the track? How hot was it outside?

I've experienced it once at the track, the temp went slightly up and the car self limitd the revs to around 3000 RPM until it cooled down, few minutes, no idea what triggered it, didn't happen again and never on the street.

There were few owners here that experienced similar issues with their STS, I will look for the threads.

Does yours do it on the street or only at the track? How hot was it outside?

there is a track is istanbul called istanbul park. the track is about 5 km long. in autumn outside temperature of istanbul is about 15 degrees. when i drove my car on track in autumn, i could do just 2 hot laps on track then my car was overheated. my car never do it on street. ı have some friends who have ferraris like 458 italia and 430 scuderia, their cars never do that on track. but i do not have a friend who have lambo and come to the track, so i can not learn how other G's on track.

My oil in my r8 would get to 300 no problem when I tracked it in the summer heat in GA.

I was wondering if our cars limited the revs if they over heat. Had a buddy at the drag strip last weekend in south florida and her car was limiting the revs and shifting automatically.

This is one of the threads that fortis was talking about where owners were trying to fix their STS's overheating on the track. I think one owner mentioned that he never had a problem with his 570SL, but has problems with the STS overheating (the STS has a different tune from what I gather).

If I remember correctly, they weren't able to fix it as the new fans that lambo thought were going to solve the problem weren't cutting it, but that thread is about the STS and not the SLs.

Thank you xos I was searching for the thread but I couldn't find it, there was also a thread by another member, Vahid, I believe, he replaced radiators etc. not sure if it resolved his problem.

Thank you xos I was searching for the thread but I couldn't find it, there was also a thread by another member, Vahid, I believe, he replaced radiators etc. not sure if it resolved his problem.

This was my conclusion...

Some good news. Before our track testing, the thermostat was modified again to fully stay open and welded again.

Later on the track, Max did 7 laps and we hit around 115 but he avoided 2nd gear. I also jumped in and did 4 Laps with 2nd gear and I hit 120. So no we never hit the limiter.

I'm gonna explain my view on this whole situation. The Super Trofeo Stradale was sold as a road legal track car but the fact is, it is not and that is very clear. If your gonna drive it only on the public roads, you will have zero issues. However, dedicate it for the track and there are draw backs. Lets be clear, with the new radiators and the modified thermostat, you can easily do 6-7 laps with no problems if you try to avoid 2nd gear. Summer season will be tougher but again you need to do cool down laps and split your sessions.

Now, if this is unacceptable then there is only 2 solutions to this problem.

1. Change your bumper to the Super Trofeo bumper that Reiter Engineering builds. That with the combination of the new radiators will certainly make a difference!

2. This is perhaps the best and the most permanent fix which is the 3rd radiator option in the front boot. If you use that in combination with the Super Trofeo bumper, then you can probably push the car with no problem what so ever.

The thing is, we are focusing on this coolant issue so much that we forget that even if the cars coolant doesn't overheat, the car is still not a race car! The brake fluid which is perhaps the most dangerous thing is simply not for racing and the engines oil temperature will over heat too if you keep pushing and that is very dangerous as well. These solutions are simply to help you to push for a bit longer depending on which climate you live in.

This is a road car and does everything a road going supercar should do and it does that very well and in a racing style theme. Race cars are the true track cars which you can really push and that is why you will never see them on the public roads, two completely different worlds.

Lastly, I want to thank Pino, Marco and Max from Lamborghini! They probably won't see this but they flew in from Italy and they honestly helped me like a friend and put all their time and effort for this car in the past 3 days.