Countach shift knob

blowndaytona

Seriously, how hard is this to make correctly? The leather and sowing is not hard or expensive, the inside base is not either. The shift pattern decal/emblem? Possibly.

Replicating and manufacturing 50 or 60or even 100 is not cost effective to sell for $200+-?

I'm asking because I really don't know. Can that emblem be replicated and how?

Think, 100 pieces at $200 = $20,000 (if you sell all). It's got to cost a lot less than 20k to make 100. A couple of thousand to make 100?

Irrelevant. Like the saying goes...A fool and his money....

Here's an example, an early countach fuse box and cover are $400-$800 used. Why? It's same exact part number for a Fiat X-19, can be bought for $50.

Or, I just bought an alternator belt. A couple of sellers want around 100 or more plus shipping. I got one for more than half that. It's just a fcuking Dayco belt.

Whether we're worth a million or 400 million, it's not the 300k+ car that should get you cock slapped. It's the seller laughing at you that should get you cock slapped :) :) :)

What is the goal here...do you guys want the originality of a part coming from the factory because that has a value all its own, or would you go for an exact replica of the original part if you could? It doesn't look very complicated to reproduce.

A replica would do the trick for me. Most if not all, could never tell the difference if done correctly

... but you would know it's a replica and that would bug me but if you could personally accept that I see no issues with it.

Personally I don't think I could do it unless the part is absolutely impossible to find, I would want every single piece on my classic to be genuine, sometimes I feel like kicking myself, I want to accept a compromise but in the end I just can not do it and it always ends up costing me and it sucks but at least my craziness is satisfied :icon_mrgreen:

Let's not lose site. What do you think Jacques at MaseratiSource does for vintage guys? A Godsend.

I have from him for the Countach, Jarama, and Urraco.

Also, as we know, some of the original stuff is crap quality. Some of the newly produced stuff is better and safer.

Seriously, how hard is this to make correctly? The leather and sowing is not hard or expensive, the inside base is not either. The shift pattern decal/emblem? Possibly.

Replicating and manufacturing 50 or 60or even 100 is not cost effective to sell for $200+-?

Think, 100 pieces at $200 = $20,000 (if you sell all). It's got to cost a lot less than 20k to make 100. A couple of thousand to make 100?

there are 2 plastic rings on top and bottom of the knob

these have a script and a brand

this i think is the hardest part to replicate

i have not seen a good knob repro. may be is not that hard to make...but still i have not seen a good one.

the repro from a factory on the other hand is SO different from the original and a POS i cannot see how they managed to make it so UGLY

Also, as we know, some of the original stuff is crap quality. Some of the newly produced stuff is better and safer.

at this point someone could say: why spend more for an S1 with the crappy fragile mag bravo wheels when you can buy an S2 and put much safer bravo repros for much less? same look and better quality for less money = WIN :icon_mrgreen:

even better why not buy an anniversary, took the skirts, add ons and make it look an LP400? similar look and better performance at a fraction of the price

collector cars and their market is not 100% rational and rarity-originality have BIG importance

in the end i agree with the guy that said that a collector car should have original parts as for the interior, body.

when i buy a "new" classic car, part of the fun is to find all the original parts missing, i take some time and patience but try to complete it as nice as possible. Some parts are really HARD to find (countach pouch, countach toolkit, etc..) and so they are more expensive.

it is the same as for the models...is an LP400 or S1 worth as an anniversary? not

is the LP400 or S1 better running than an anniverary? not

rarity is most time what makes classic and classic parts more expensive

i can understand the replacement and better parts for mecanics-drivetrain but as for the rest to me repro parts do not worcks...because 99% of time you can see the difference

if you have a shiny miura with a complete new interior made of repro parts....would you really like it as an all original interior with some patina? i do not think so

originality commands on a premium for classic cars

at this point someone could say: why spend more for an S1 with the crappy fragile mag bravo wheels when you can buy an S2 and put much safer bravo repros for much less? same look and better quality for less money = WIN :icon_mrgreen:

even better why not buy an anniversary, took the skirts, add ons and make it look an LP400? similar look and better performance at a fraction of the price

collector cars and their market is not 100% rational and rarity-originality have BIG importance

in the end i agree with the guy that said that a collector car should have original parts as for the interior, body.

when i buy a "new" classic car, part of the fun is to find all the original parts missing, i take some time and patience but try to complete it as nice as possible. Some parts are really HARD to find (countach pouch, countach toolkit, etc..) and so they are more expensive.

it is the same as for the models...is an LP400 or S1 worth as an anniversary? not

i can understand the replacement and better parts for mecanics-drivetrain but as for the rest to me repro parts do not worcks...because 99% of time you can see the difference

if you have a shiny miura with a complete new interior made of repro parts....would you really like it as an all original interior with some patina? i do not think so

Well said Emilio!!

that is what I think. Having money and being smart are 2 different things. Some dumb fat cat may enjoy being fleeced all day long to pretend to be rich. Other, smarter, will try to avoid it when they can.

This is where 3 D printing may help for small production. All that is needed is a good example to spec the parts. I am sure using new technology, a decent prototype could be done. Too bad 3D is not my field. I think everyone with a Ct should have a cheap exact repro of a shift knob.

ok Emilio, you got me at the first sentence lolololol

ok Emilio, you got me at the first sentence lolololol

:icon_mrgreen: LOL

i knew this sentence would prove the point well

in the end i honestly think anyone is free to do whatever he likes with his money and cars

anyone has a personal line of what is ok and what is not with a classic car .....and it is ok this way.

one extreme is every nut and bolt should be original at cost of breaking down the road anytime, the opposite extreme is "replica are ok" since you get the look, more reliability and all spending a fraction of the cost.

the reasonable guys are btw these 2 options

:icon_mrgreen: LOL

i knew this sentence would prove the point well

in the end i honestly think anyone is free to do whatever he likes with his money and cars

anyone has a personal line of what is ok and what is not with a classic car .....and it is ok this way.

one extreme is every nut and bolt should be original at cost of breaking down the road anytime, the opposite extreme is "replica are ok" since you get the look, more reliability and all spending a fraction of the cost.

the reasonable guys are btw these 2 options

yes. In this instance I think what really matter is an exact cheap replica for the form but trying to preserve the leather type and style.