Exhaust rattle

cscat

Hello everyone, I am a new owner and this is my first post. I have a 2006 and noticed a pretty distinct rattle when standing behind the car while its running. It sounds to me like the "flaps" that open in the exhaust are rattling when they're closed. Is this a common issue? Is there a DIY fix for this? If need be, I can record a video of the sound tomorrow. I am 99% sure it is the exhaust flaps rattling though. Thank you in advance.

Hello everyone, I am a new owner and this is my first post. I have a 2006 and noticed a pretty distinct rattle when standing behind the car while its running. It sounds to me like the "flaps" that open in the exhaust are rattling when they're closed. Is this a common issue? Is there a DIY fix for this? If need be, I can record a video of the sound tomorrow. I am 99% sure it is the exhaust flaps rattling though. Thank you in advance.

Welcome old chap.

Just modify the vacuum lines to keep the valves open all the time. You will be a happier camper at start up. (Lamborghini valves in the exhaust operates the opposite as Ferrari concerning vacuum.).

post-5917-1420165836_thumb.jpg

Just modify the vacuum lines to keep the valves open all the time. You will be a happier camper at start up. (Lamborghini valves in the exhaust operates the opposite as Ferrari concerning vacuum.).

I'd like to keep it the way it is and only go loud when I'm "on it". I want to keep it quiet to not cause added attention and/or upset any neighbors when pulling out of the garage.

I'd like to keep it the way it is and only go loud when I'm "on it". I want to keep it quiet to not cause added attention and/or upset any neighbors when pulling out of the garage.

It is actually not that bad when the valves are disconnected. Just keep the revs down. It will however give a boom at initial start up from cold. 04-07 exhaust systems are very quiet without the valves open (they also weigh frigging 49lbs). 08 late and onwards it does get louder as the design changed. I fitted an 08 exhaust system to my 04 and my neighbours do not mind the sound. Some of their Corvettes and Mustangs are even louder.

The levers around the 04-07 valves can make some noises. Easiest is just to bend them to be a tad tighter.

Welcome to the best place on the web! Someone will be along shortly to fix your problem! Hope you stick around afterwards...this is a fun place.

It is actually not that bad when the valves are disconnected. Just keep the revs down. It will however give a boom at initial start up from cold. 04-07 exhaust systems are very quiet without the valves open (they also weigh frigging 49lbs). 08 late and onwards it does get louder as the design changed. I fitted an 08 exhaust system to my 04 and my neighbours do not mind the sound. Some of their Corvettes and Mustangs are even louder.

The levers around the 04-07 valves can make some noises. Easiest is just to bend them to be a tad tighter.

Its my understanding that, with the valves open, it is a straight-through muffler bypass. I know it will sound mean, but I don't think I'd like to go that route right now.

Welcome to the best place on the web! Someone will be along shortly to fix your problem! Hope you stick around afterwards...this is a fun place.

Thank you, I've already browsed a bit and have learned a lot so far.

I took a video tonight of the sound that I am hoping to diagnose/fix. You can hear the rattle go away for a split second around the 5-second mark.

http://vid27.photobucket.com/albums/c152/a...650F75A9E49.mp4

It is the exhaust flap.

Its fairly normal for Gallardos. You can check the rod for the flap to see if it is loose. Lambo sets the adj. and spot welds some times they miss on the spot weld. Other times you can give the bracket that mounts the vacuum valve a little bend that puts more pressure on the flap and it can help. But like I said kind of normal.

Just to pitch in, the valves loosening is something that is fairly normal for any valved exhaust. Some of the exhaust valves have a small screw held by a C-clip that you can turn to tighten or loosen the valve. Others you may have to either leave open all the time or find some sort of fix for.