secondary cat delete question

carloz

I live in the state of Illinois which requires emissions. so my question is will removing the secondary cat delete cause emission failure or toss any CEL indicators? thinking to go with Quicksilver possibly or Fabspeed.

• 3 weeks later...
I live in the state of Illinois which requires emissions. so my question is will removing the secondary cat delete cause emission failure or toss any CEL indicators? thinking to go with Quicksilver possibly or Fabspeed.

Great question! The primary catalytic converters are where the o2 sensors are located which throw the CEL if the catalytic converter is not doing its job or is removed. The secondary catalytic converters do not have o2 sensors so when removing them, the car does not even know they are gone. They are there to catch anything the primary catalytic converter misses. If the secondary catalytic converters are removed passing emissions is still NOT an issue the primary catalytic converters are enough to pass.

Secondary Catbypass Pipes

We currently have the Secondary Catbypass Pipes in stock , and ready to ship. Please let me know if you are interested or if you have any more questions!

• 2 weeks later...

If the insp. tech knows what to look for then he will fail it on a visual insp.. Most don't have a clue that secondary's are missing and it will pass a sniff test with out them.

Some 05 and 06 will sometimes turn on check engine light for miss fire after exhaust change do to exhaust pulse timing change with some after market exhaust. This is because during cold start even with stock exhaust there is miss fire activity during cold starts. The activity becomes more active with after market exhaust and can store a pending error. If you do 2 cold starts close together it will go confirmed and check engine light comes on. Some states will not pass with stored code or check engine light on.

• 2 weeks later...

And then.... I can weigh in, probably way to late, but here it is.

I have primary cat DELETE (bypass pipes) and secondary STOCK cats, and muffler bypass. I passed the IL DOT inspection, because my ECU has NO problems with my setup and told the dmv that my car is running great. They gave me my print out, and away I went. I live in the city of chicago.

• 2 weeks later...
If the insp. tech knows what to look for then he will fail it on a visual insp.. Most don't have a clue that secondary's are missing and it will pass a sniff test with out them.

Some 05 and 06 will sometimes turn on check engine light for miss fire after exhaust change do to exhaust pulse timing change with some after market exhaust. This is because during cold start even with stock exhaust there is miss fire activity during cold starts. The activity becomes more active with after market exhaust and can store a pending error. If you do 2 cold starts close together it will go confirmed and check engine light comes on. Some states will not pass with stored code or check engine light on.

I had this exact problem and I solved it by doing the following:

There are misfire modules on both sides of the engine (mounted on the valve covers) the connector is a 3 wire plug labeled A B C

Cut the C wire and install a 90K ohm resistor (1/2W) in line and reconnect. It will not set those codes any longer.

The resistor tricks the computer into thinking there are no problems.

Any questions, call me (805) 587-6707

Alan

I had this exact problem and I solved it by doing the following:

There are misfire modules on both sides of the engine (mounted on the valve covers) the connector is a 3 wire plug labeled A B C

Cut the C wire and install a 90K ohm resistor (1/2W) in line and reconnect. It will not set those codes any longer.

The resistor tricks the computer into thinking there are no problems.

Any questions, call me (805) 587-6707

Alan

Awesome info! Seriously, I knew some type of Fix was available as its 'sold' with the LNB exhaust system, but they wont tell you what that is, or explain it, unless you buy their exhaust. Fortunately mine never really had this problem, but I know a lot of 05 and 06's are challenged with this, when they have after market exhausts.

Thanks again!

Jon

• 3 weeks later...