2-Stage Paint on Countach?

IanMan

When people restore a Countach and repaint it, are they using 1-Stage paint or 2-Stage? I could see how 2-Stage would look much better, but I can't tell the difference from photos if a car has it or not. Would there be a higher risk of cracking in stress areas with 2-Stage? Maybe Allan, Jason, Emilio or Roman Dad can pitch in their knowledge. Thanks!

Ian

I would guess most are going base coat/clear coat. You can get bodywork to crack with that and lacquer paint. I've painted both. Lacquer is more of a dated paint system. I do remember the prep for it being much more critical. The surface had to be sealed 100% or the paint would raise. OTH base coat/clear will paint cover without that problem. I think everything will be painted water based soon anyways.

I would guess most are going base coat/clear coat. You can get bodywork to crack with that and lacquer paint. I've painted both. Lacquer is more of a dated paint system. I do remember the prep for it being much more critical. The surface had to be sealed 100% or the paint would raise. OTH base coat/clear will paint cover without that problem. I think everything will be painted water based soon anyways.

Thank you!

Cali is the only one mandating water based right now I believe. I know Colorado and a few others are going to be there soon. And then yes, most others will follow through as well.

As far as what is being used, I would say both. Those that want originality are probably going with single stage (if they can), and others are probably updating to BC/CC. I had asked about some of the later cars being BC/CC painted at the factory as some of the later colors had pearl in them, which is very hard to pull of in a single stage. I couldn't get a difinitive answer, but it is possible some of the later cars were BC/CC anyways.

Cali is the only one mandating water based right now I believe. I know Colorado and a few others are going to be there soon. And then yes, most others will follow through as well.

As far as what is being used, I would say both. Those that want originality are probably going with single stage (if they can), and others are probably updating to BC/CC. I had asked about some of the later cars being BC/CC painted at the factory as some of the later colors had pearl in them, which is very hard to pull of in a single stage. I couldn't get a difinitive answer, but it is possible some of the later cars were BC/CC anyways.