U.S. Export Registration

Tupps11

Just curious if there is such a thing as U.S. export registration?

My first two Lambos were registered in Zurich, Switzerland with "Z" plates. Its basically a Swiss license plate that needs to stay outside the EU for at least 6 months of the year, and is not liable for European VAT taxes as it doesn't permanently reside in the EU.

When i picked up my third Lambo at the Factory, the EE plate they put on was valid for 6 months and not liable for the VAT Taxes as well. I was able to drive around Europe that whole summer until i shipped the car home. At which point, the EE plate expires.

In all three cases above, the cars were not European Spec. Had i been living in Europe, i would not have been able to register the cars due to their non compliance with European Specification...even if i paid the 19% VAT.

Same goes for the United States. You cannot register European Specification cars in the U.S. unless you convert them to comply with U.S. road regulations.

Im just wondering if there is a U.S. Export Registration available similar to the Swiss Z or EE plates that allows European Cars to register in the U.S.?

Just read about the the DOT HS-7 form. Looks like it allows me to keep the car in the United States for up to one year with my foreign plates on the car.

Im actually looking to register the car in the U.S. with american plates (CA plates preferable cause my fam lives at our permanent residence in Irvine), and ship it back out of the U.S. with those plates on the car. Thats the purpose of an "Export Plate Registration". It allows countries to charge foreigners a yearly registration fee for their cars in order to help them avoid paying much higher registration fees in their home countries.

Most permanent European Residents pay 19% on their cars. Here we pay 60%. I know in the far east, there are places that pay close to 100%.

Export Plates resolve that issue as long as the country you reside in allows those plates to be driven on their roads. Just don't know if any state DMV in the U.S. issues them?

Issue #1 is how you import your European car into the United States on either a temporary or permanent basis. Both require the HS-7 form, there are no workarounds I am aware of. You also need the EPA form. These are federal requirements so state DMV rules are not relevant at that point. Details here:

http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_i...n-the-u.s.-with

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ...ages/page2.html

Issue #2 is, once the car is here, can you register it permanently in the State of California. Yes, provided you have those federal forms above plus a California air quality board form. Details here:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&amp...o/htvr9#feesdue

Issue #3: Can you easily export the car to Europe after you've brought it here and registered it in California. Yes but you have to meet the U.S. export requirements.

The only shortcut if if you have an ATA Carnet but typically that's for like a sample or a car on a tour, not a permanent thing.

Maybe someone else knows a shortcut but this is my understanding.

Thanks jhbchess

Would you happen to know anybody stateside who can help me with importing and registering my car in the U.S.?

I found a few companies online, but they seemed less than reputable when i called them. Most of them didn't even know what the process was. Someone on the forum mentioned Roy in a previous thread. Car will be in California end of the month hopefully. Would be great if i could find someone there...