Capristo exhaust system - CA smog compliance

JanDaMan

Anyone here in CA have the Capristo exhaust system on a Murci? I am wondering if it would be smog compliant here in CA. From the website it seems there may be some type of cat modification.

Thanks. I see you are in so CA, and please PM me or post here where you went for smog test if you don't mind. I see from the Cap link below that the cat may be somewhat different, but somehow you retained your own original cats?

http://capristo-usa.com/shop/lp640-complet...exhaust-system/

The Fabspeed exhaust will fit the pre 2008 cars that have factory cats. Once into the 08+ you have to run the Fabspeed cats with the X-pipe. Best sounding exhaust we make! BMG_5544__13654.1418420451.1280.1280.JPG

Looks like the cap system you show is complete, ie headers cats and muffler.

Most exhausts people use are cat back with either stock secondary cats or test tubes in place of the secondary cats and don't throw CELs (sensors are on primary cats)

Probably need further investigation into replacing manifold and primary cats and CELs

From this website in the link below, and other info I found on the web, it seems aftermarket exhaust and related parts need an Executive Order number on it to be compliant in CA. I don't see this Executive Order indicated on the Capristo website which shows the product for the Murci, and coupled with crickets (nonresponsivness) from the company about it, makes me believe it would fail at least the visual inspection here in CA. I am not sure what Fabspeed noted above has to do with the subject question about Capristo exhaust and CA smog compliance though. Maybe they own the company?

http://www.smogtips.com/aftermarket-performance-parts.cfm

Cap just replied and said there should be no issues in CA; but I see the Cap unit has some 200 cell sports Cat with it, and wonder how a smog shop may view that. I am just so sick of trying to get my Maserati Biturbo to pass 3 times now, that I don't want issues with another car. On my 4th try with my Maserati, I think I will take in a print out or the Cap system and see what they say about it.

Cap just replied and said there should be no issues in CA; but I see the Cap unit has some 200 cell sports Cat with it, and wonder how a smog shop may view that. I am just so sick of trying to get my Maserati Biturbo to pass 3 times now, that I don't want issues with another car. On my 4th try with my Maserati, I think I will take in a print out or the Cap system and see what they say about it.

Did you try to go to smog referee?

I only go to those state referee mofos when told to. A few years ago the regular smog testers did not like the way my engine looked compared to the smog book diagrams and they made me go to the state referee. I spent close to one week off from work dealing with them, they take your car out back not allowing you to see anything. Finally they wanted to talk with my Italian mechanic, giving him a hard time and insisted in talking with a Maserati dealer. My mechanic waving his arms about in the Italian way yelling said "there is no one in the US, they are in Italy, can you speak Italian!" So at that point they let me go. I must say, during that ordeal my car was testing clean at the pipes well within specs, but they had issues with the visual trying to figure it all out, because their books didn't match. This year is different, it needs to pass at the pipes, so, only thing we can think now is the cat converter. Things got bad recently, check the DMV website, it must pass to register it, or to even sell it in CA. No more "as is" sales because it is now the sellers responsibility to pass smog.

• 2 weeks later...

Talked with a distributor of the Capristo exhaust here in So CA, and he clarified the catback system will not present issues in passing smog, but the complete system is not CA smog compliant.