CA Smog no more sniffer on 2000 or newer cars!

falconsprint

I just got back from smog testing my 2001 Diablo. Very surprised that tech didn't attach the sniffer to the exhaust. He explained 2000 and newer cars are now tested purely via the ODBII interface. Basically checking the monitors only. Still a visual inspection. The tech looked over the engine compartment for 15 seconds and under the car for about 5 seconds.

http://www.smogtips.com/new-smog-law-AB-2289.cfm

Still cost me $80 though!

Before someone points this out, I'll say it myself. Apparently this new rule has been in place for several years. My fleet of cars is either too new for a smog or older than 2000. So this is a first for me.

I am not 100 % sure but I think it depends on the shop . I have had a few newer Benz's attached to a sniffer and at times older ones just attached to the remote reader. For the Murci(2009) I went to the shop that does the test via the reader and the tech did not even bother looking anywhere or attaching the sniffer.

I went (was required actually) to a Star Certified Smog station. According to the article above, star certified stations are required to upgrade to the new ODBII only testing equipment.