Charging Stations

jhbchess

Query for you guys with BMW or Tesla electrics: what did you install for a home charging station and how do you like it?

My BMW i8 is supposed to be delivered next week and the Bosch guy is contacting me about the iCharging center but that thing looks like a pay phone. I see that Bosch also has a Power Max line with good stats but it doesn't have the retractable cord.

Thoughts! suggestions? Hardwire it or do a NEMA outlet?

We just run an electrical cable straight to the i3. Thought about a charging station but have never needed it. Everywhere we drive to has free charging stations.

We just run an electrical cable straight to the i3. Thought about a charging station but have never needed it. Everywhere we drive to has free charging stations.

110 or 220?

For the very small battery of the i8 and the fact that it's a hybrid a 110 should suffice for overnight charging.

I was going to add one, until gla advised against it. I have my 110v charger plugged into the ceiling garage door outlet and zip I tied the cable to rail of the door guide so we don't run over it. Apparently they are $950 to replace and BMW requires a factory unit at the end of the lease.

There is a charge point a block from my office in LA which can fully recharge the car in 2.5 hours, so I can do the 100 mile round trip to my office on charge only. That is the only time we have a need for a fast charger, otherwise for all errands the 110v is perfectly adequate. Even if we are fully discharged when we get home, by the next morning we have at least 60 miles of range (plus in our case another 60 or so on the gas engine too).

I believe Chargepoint is just introducing a cheaper $500 home charger unit.

As for Tesla's the 220v charge station is mandatory. I have a couple of friends with the Model S/Roadsters, they all say the 110v charging is useless.

110 Raj, and its an I3...

I was thinking about getting an I8 today though. It shaves a lot of time of your commute being able to use the HOV lane

110 or 220?

For the very small battery of the i8 and the fact that it's a hybrid a 110 should suffice for overnight charging.

Great advice guys. I was worried that the location of my breaker panel was going to force me to juggle where I park my cars since those charging stations require a separate 30 or 40 amp circuit to be installed. My breaker panel is in a temperature controlled garage where the lambo sits and I wasn't looking forward to moving the lambo to another garage where the kids are getting in and out of an SUV all day with greasy little fingers. I may go with the cord for now and do a charging station later if I need it.

The Bosch powermax 30 amp with 25' cord is around $750. The '18 cord is $500 or $600.

Sadly, Houston doesn't allow single-occupant use of HOV lanes even if the car is hybrid/electric. We do have some "HOT" lanes that allow single driver to use some HOV lanes with payment of a toll those coverage areas are just in certain zones and a hybrid/electric car would still have to pay the toll.

110 Raj, and its an I3...

I was thinking about getting an I8 today though. It shaves a lot of time of your commute being able to use the HOV lane

I drove an i8. It's a cool car for sure. For my $150k I choose to get something else.

Jbchess. For a full electric you do need 220 if you use the car a lot but as I said before for a hybrid it's overkill. I have a Honda Fit ev. As it's an unlimited mile lease we use it a lot for daily commuting. We're closing in on 40k miles by December. Our old house we had the 220 that Honda supplied free with the car. It cost $500 for the electrician to install. We've moved and out commutes have dropped significantly so we're getting by with 110.

For the HUGE tesla batteries a 220 is pretty much a necessity unless you work near a supercharger.