Spyder top - lots of squeaks

fgray30

Hi,

I have an 08 Gallardo Spyder and I am getting a fair bit of noise (squeaky is the best description) from the top which is most noticeable with the top up and going over bumpy roads.

I understand it's a convertible and you trade off some refinement and structural rigidity for this, but if anyone has had any success is resolving these issues then any tips would be much appreciated.

Apparently many VW convertible owners have had lots of success with a product called Krytox which is a grease-based lubricant. Any other tips specific to the Gallardo roof? I put the car into service mode and sprayed a bit of WD40 into the various hinges and joints but that didn't seem to make much difference. Also I think the plastic well that the top folds into might be potential source for squeaking.

Thanks!!!

OK - so I've been looking around the car pressing on various panels to see what could be causing the squeak. The rear bulkhead trim right behind the seats is in three parts - a wide centre panel (that houses the interior lights and switches), and two smaller panels on each side (that the seat belts go through).

Where they join together gets very squeaky when the rub against each other.

Does anyone know how to remove these interior trim pieces? What tools do I need to remove the trim without damage?

Thanks in advance!!!

For what this is worth, my squeaks were from the seat touching the plastic behind it.

I moved the seat back up just a touch and it helped dramatically ...

Mike

For what this is worth, my squeaks were from the seat touching the plastic behind it.

I moved the seat back up just a touch and it helped dramatically ...

Mike

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the input - yeah I've tried that and while the seat rubbing against the textured plastic behind it does indeed squeak, I've moved the seats forward and the squeaks are still persisting.

It seems like the combination of leather and plastics used in the Gallardos are particularly prone to squeaking when in contact with each other. I may get some of the trim parts refinished in cloth/carpet to see if it helps.

Don't use WD40, Get a good silicone rubber lubricant. Hit all the rubber pieces on the top. Check the top tightness, because there are adjusters to make it tighter.

My 06 Spyder does the same thing with the top up. Ive always wondered where it comes from too but havent spent any time trying to find out as I rarely drive with the top up. In fact in over a year of owning the car Ive only had the top up 2 times. Looking forward to seeing if anybody has solved this problem.

Don't use WD40, Get a good silicone rubber lubricant. Hit all the rubber pieces on the top. Check the top tightness, because there are adjusters to make it tighter.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I've heard to either use a good silicone-based lubricant or lithium-based (like white oil) lubricant.

Interesting to know about the adjustments for the top - can you tell me where? Thanks!

My 06 Spyder does the same thing with the top up. Ive always wondered where it comes from too but havent spent any time trying to find out as I rarely drive with the top up. In fact in over a year of owning the car Ive only had the top up 2 times. Looking forward to seeing if anybody has solved this problem.

Hi Ozzir,

Good to know it's not just mine then! When I get some improvements I'll surely let the board know what was done :)

Gummi Pflege is the most effective lubricant for convertible top rattles. You can apply on all rubber and weather stripping.

I have never found any luck with other lubricants, either silicon or dry lube.

You should also clean the rubber parts with a wet towel. Avoid chemicals that can remove any lube.

Gummi Pflege is the most effective lubricant for convertible top rattles. You can apply on all rubber and weather stripping.

I have never found any luck with other lubricants, either silicon or dry lube.

You should also clean the rubber parts with a wet towel. Avoid chemicals that can remove any lube.

Thanks djantlive for the tips. Hopefully I'll have some good news to report back soon!