Check Engine lights, Lean fuel mixture

Greg T

I have a 94 VT, Larini exhaust, no cats. I just installed K&N air filters and now i'm getting L&R check engine lights (2 blinks, lean fuel mixture). Isn't the ECU automatically supposed to adjust the fuel mixture to compensate for the added airflow, or have i exceeded the limits of the system? Anybody out there an expert on these systems? Thanks Greg

Greg, code 2 is very common with aftermaket exhausts. I had it on my car too.

Did you remove all cats or just the rear set?

Most of the time the code will clear itself after a few miles of driving.

Or you can use the following to manualy clear the codes:

http://www.lambo-power.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8989

Some more good threads on code 2:

http://www.lambo-power.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3681

http://www.lambo-power.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4036

http://www.lambo-power.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5213

Thanks Jay, I'll give it a try. The lights have been on for a couple hundred miles, so i guess they're not going out on their own. My car has only two cats, and they removed themselves :shock: After putting the Larini exhaust on the cats started to deteriate, i would actually get little pieces of that honeycomb-like material spitting out the exhaust, i don't think much is left cause the car has gotten ungodly loud.

I have had this code lots of times and so many things can cause it, it can be very hard to run down. reset the computer and see what happens

dave

:|

exactly like suzuki dave said reset and go for another drive see if they come back on,also make sure theres no air leaks from the throtle body hoses going to the air box cleaner.

I had the same code on mine after adjusting the throttle body. If you don't have the reset computer pin connector you can disconnect the battery for about 30min- that reset mine. Just remember to reset your alarm using the remote control door lock.

i left my battery disconnected and still didnt clear the codes,the only way they cleared on my 94 vt was inserting the key in the comp and reseting it that way

I had the same code on mine after adjusting the throttle body. If you don't have the reset computer pin connector you can disconnect the battery for about 30min- that reset mine. Just remember to reset your alarm using the remote control door lock.

Will this work with the battery shut-off behind the seat or do you physically have to disconnect the cables from the battery?

Dave is correct. You can leave the battery disconnected for weeks and the codes will still be there.

Also, you do not need to buy a plug to reset the computer. Just make a 3 wire jumper as indicated in the diagram I posted earlier. Solder the ends of the wires so that they will slide into the connector without touching the neighboring pin.

Unscrew the red plug from it's holder and it will be obvious how to insert the wire :)

Do you insert the wires with the ignition off, then switch it to on? Wait a couple minutes...? This whole jumping wires thing scares me a little, don't want to cook anything.

Correct. Ignition off, insert wires, ignition on (but do not start car). Wait for check engine lights to go off then turn ignition off and remove the jumper wires.

I'll post some pics shortly. I just reset mine yesterday to clear a code after replacing the distributor cap.