Tuning the R-R Phantom(First Post)

Spark One

What's up everyone! I know that the R-R Phantom has a reworked BMW 7-Series V12, so can it be given turbochargers or superchargers,etc.? I want to get 600 hp from it. Can it be done, and if so, by whom. Thanks!

The sultan of Brunei has a few special superchaged RR's with "Sultan Spec" engines in his collection.

I'm unaware of any force-induced Phantoms, but I'd imagine you'd run into a few difficulties. You can probably get away with leaving the bottom-end alone if you keep the boost under 5 pounds or so and keep in the intake charge cool, but given the size of turbo you'd run for a motor of that diplacement, you're still talking about a decent bump in power and would need to attend to fuel management at this point.

Assuming that the existing fuel management system is standard BMW hardware, someone like Jim Conforti could probably remap the existing ECU .. but with a car this expensive, I personally would want to use a standalone fuel management system. In that regard though, I'm not sure if anyone makes a box that hooks up to the OE wiring harness, so something custom might have to be done.

If you've already gone this far, you might as well go for the full shabang and at least get a bit more efficiency out of that turbo. Dished pistons, carefull removal of material from the combustion chamber, and double-thickness head gaskets should get you back a few points of compression, and an intercooler to really cool the charge ... you can probably run 10 or more pounds of boost. With proper fuel and a well matched turbo, you could probably be looking at closer to 800 - 900 lb-ft of torque or more at this point.

I'm not even a turbo kinda guy .... but this is what I can see right off the bat as being a problem. It would probably be cheaper, and significantly cooler, to throw a blown big-block Chevy into it. How many Phantoms do you see on the road that have a rumbling idle and jerk the left front fender 12 inches upward when the throttle gets blipped?

Bill in Brooklyn

It would probably be cheaper, and significantly cooler,  to throw a blown big-block Chevy into it.  

Bill in Brooklyn

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks for the help guys! And to Bill In Brooklyn, your thought of a big block is sort of cool (in a strang way), but I'll stick with the higher status engine! I do appreciate the insight though. :mrgreen:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: the phantom engine is made to be smooth.. not to sound like a 69 POS

I understand that .. but here's my view of it. A Phantom is a completely unnecessary vehicle. There are a bevy of vehicles out there that can do the same job the Phantom does for less money. Yes there will be a slight decrease in the "plushness" of the overall experience, but a 750IL handles better, an S65 absolutely blows the doors off of pretty much everything, and an A8L is a decent all rounder with a cool new 12 cylinder.

One buys the Phantom for the style, the comfort, and to be seen ... obviously. So if you want 600HP (actually, I hate to argue, but what you want is torque, not horsepower. An F1 motor easily makes 600HP but put it in the Phantom and you'd lose drag races with school buses coming out of the toll booths) .. why not go the blown big block chevy route? Given the sound deadening aspect the interior of the Phantom must bring ... you could even throw an exhaust on there and probably wouldn't hear it inside, but the people outside would be sporting a , "Dayuuuuuuuum!" when you got on it. We're talking about 800+ lb-ft of torque (mild state of tune mind you) in the mid-range people.

Personally, I think the Phantom has one of the most agressive, badass front-end's ever seen on car. Small children tremble and wet their pants when looking at it from the correct angles (this is a good thing). What better than a growling big block to back up the attitude??

As far as the "smooth" comment, keep the cam mild (which is more efficient for forced motors anyway) and it'll idle like a Lexus if built properly. A RamJet 502 would be PERFECT as a base for this project =).

Bill in Brooklyn

Thanks for the help guys! And to Bill In Brooklyn, your thought of a big block is sort of cool (in a strang way), but I'll stick with the higher status engine! I do appreciate the insight though. :mrgreen:

As someone has already said, the engine already makes good power, uncorking another 100 ponies out of it shouldn't be that difficult except for the fuel management aspect of things. If you can verify that the FI system is BMW derived, find a shop that works with Jim Conforti (I've used Turner Motorsports in Massachusettes myself) and he can probably help in that arena. I'm not sure how stopped up the stock Phantom engine is, but with that much displacement on hand I'm sure you could find a thousand ways to unlock that power.

I'm not sure how often you plan on using/needing those 600 ponies, but a good helping of nitrous would do absolute wonders on a car that heavy.

Bill in Brooklyn