question for you computer geeks

Saleenfan

I got another hard drive and I want to have it set up as a secondary (aka slave i believe) well its a seagate barracuda 7200.10 drive and I can not for the life of me figure out how to set it up as a "non primary" drive. Help please.I hooked up all of the cables and my computer came up and said "new hardware installed and ready to use" but it wasnt really recognizing the drive so I am at a total loss now.

I'm assuming it's a SATA disk. Do you see the disk listed when you boot up the computer in the BIOS? If so you probably just need to create a partition. Right click on "My computer" and then click manage and there should be an option for storage. You no longer have "master" and "slave" drive per se, that comes back from the IDE days when you could have 2 drives per IDE controller.

I'm assuming it's a SATA disk. Do you see the disk listed when you boot up the computer in the BIOS? If so you probably just need to create a partition. Right click on "My computer" and then click manage and there should be an option for storage. You no longer have "master" and "slave" drive per se, that comes back from the IDE days when you could have 2 drives per IDE controller.

Agree with sprite. Sounds like not enabled in the bios. What brand computer? On a side note not a fan of seagate or any other brand of hard drive unless it's Western Digital due to the reliability and ease for data recovery.

well that worked perfectly thanks!

Agree with sprite. Sounds like not enabled in the bios. What brand computer? On a side note not a fan of seagate or any other brand of hard drive unless it's Western Digital due to the reliability and ease for data recovery.

well considering i got half a dozen seagate drives for free im not complaining.