water pumps uhhhhh...

suzukidave

well for all who care, you can buy the water pump seal seperately from gt car parts in phoenix for 65 bucks. The impeller on the rear of the pump is threaded onto the shaft with left hand threads. All of this is easy if you do not need water pump bearings. IF your bearings are nice and quiet and snug then pull your impeller and put a new seal in--voila. Now if you need water pump bearings as I did things get weird. Lambo used to sell the shaft with the bearings on it but no longer do. This shaft has the bearing made onto it and the shaft itself is actually the inner race of the bearing. I tried to get a hold of dick jordan water pumps, because I hear that he can fix it up, but I think he is having hurricane related trouble (sad to hear). So a machinist buddy of mine finds a very similiar shaft and here we go. First we machine the body of the water pump 2 thousands to accomodate the different bearing, then we machine the impeller to press fit it to the shaft (hardened shaft-cant cut threads). then we have to bore the pulley out larger and press a sleeve and tig weld it on the inside because it was too big (4 thousandths difference). bore the sleeve to the correct inside diameter. The good news is I now have a standard american shaft inside my water pump and still a lambo seal, but we cant figure out what the fcuk the shaft came out of (we were raiding old parts bins), but I have two of them. Would I do it again? Hmmm probably not, but I had already started so I figured I would finish it. It works great and is as good as new but had a day and half parts hunting and machine setup and milling, not to mention I had to make two tools to remove the impeller and install the seal. Next time I will call mr jordan and hope he is still in business or buy a new one. I sure showed lamborghini though! (lol)

dave

No the headache was not worth the savings, but I originally (as with most things I screw with) thought it was gonna cost me less than a hundred bucks, and then all of a sudden I was knee deep in it and I figured I might as well finish!

dave

Dave I wish I had your patience.... That's what sucks about some LCar and FCar stuff.... they make parts propritary so you have to buy everything from them. Nothing like showing them who's the real boss :) At the end of the day you pump will actually be better than the stock one...