Diablo VT roadster questions

beachbummed

I was going to purchase a Gallardo Spyder but I've decided to buy a VT roadster instead. For about the same price I can get it now, get a V12 instead of a V10, and they seem to hold their value well. Can anyone help me with the pitfalls of each years production as well as give me an expected fair market value purchase price? I've found several in some publications but they were sold by the time I called. I really like the 99 model and have found one for $215K but the other 99 models I found were between $185K and $195K range. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Go for at least my 98 or newer. $215 seems way hi for a 99. 185-190 about right for a nice one. I've seen 98's for 170ish and 97's for between 145-160. Roadsters are great cars. two issues to warn you about. 1, they have been cracking headers because of heat. With the top on the deck lid, the heat cann't get out. This causes problem 2. The deck lid (engine cover) warps real bad. They have an over kill support strut that pushs up on the deck when closed. Add some heat and it warps the hell out of it.

Mike's right, I was just trying to expain to a friend who owns a 98 roadster that the decklid fit had nothing to do with his recent engine out service but was instead caused by heat. With the decklid closed, I can put my hand almost 1/2 way up to my elbow in to the engine compartment, but only on the drivers side.

I would look for 99 because I prefer the fixed headlights. I think it was 97 where they had the goofy seatbelts. Personally I wouldn't choose a roadster over a gallardo, at least in my opinion, the g-car is much more fun to drive but not as much of a spectacle as the roadster.

That's interesting. I'm looking for a nice roadster (keeping my 92 forever).

So what's the remedy beside leaving the top at home when going topless?

Ceramic coating on the headers may help the cracking but what can you do with the deck lid? Insulation or custom build on out of aluminum?

Funny - I recall seeing a roadster about a year ago that had 2 electric fans mounted inside the deck lid. Did not talk to the owner and wonder if that was why he did it, to push hot air down and back...

Thanks for the advice. I've heard of the roof leaking but I've never heard of the overheating problem. I'm being told that the price point is a little higher than other 99 models out there because it is the millenium edition (only 6 models in the U.S.) and all services are complete and up to date.

As for the Gallardo preference, yes, I was sold on them too until I saw how many are being produced and how many are being dumped on the market- causing widespread rapid depreciation. For the same price, I think I'm going to go with something much rarer.

For a remedy what a lot of guys do is as soon as they park the car, they open the deck lid. That does help. I think if I owned one, I would remove the gas struts and use a pole to prop open the hood. If you look at how the struts are installed, they are pushing up on the hood when closed. They use some pretty hefty struts to support the weight of the roof when its on the deck lid.

The headers you cann't do much with but cross your fingers. They are pretty well insulated at the factory but that also causes some of the problem. There is so much engine compartment heat that the wrapping on the headers now holds to much heat and causes them to crack. The guy with the fans probably has a good solution. When we replace the headers, we had Quicksilver make them for us, we have them coated plus we build double layer heat shields that extend from the cam cover over to the carbon fiber panels. This has worked real well. Because the headers are coated ad not shielded plus they are stainless, they should be good for a lifetime. The heatshields keep the temp down in the engine bay and off the deck lid.

Good info Mike - I'm familiar with Quicksilver and their stuff is quality. I'm some what of inventory and have a few patents and copyrights. When I get mine I'll design something for cooling /decklid . I'll also contact you about doing the headers & shields.