Questions about Diablo modifications

beachbummed

I recently acquired a 97 VT roadster and I have a few questions to ask about modifications. I've noticed several other members have posted about their mods but I would like to know how to locate them.

1. I've read that several of you have swiitched the low-beam bulbs for HID lights. Where can I find them and can I do this myself?

2. I've got the stock 3-disc Alpine that I would like to change out for a newer unit with flip-out screen that incorporates DVD, NAV, and a back-up camera. Which brands are you guys using and who did you turn to for the installation, especially the camera set-up. Also, is the NAV system upgradeable as time passes?

3. I've read about attaching convex mirror to the passenger mirror. What are the positives and negatives of this and where did you locate the convex mirror?

Thanks

The Alpline DVD NAV unit is the best IMO. I've installed several in Diablos with the camara. The NAV unit is upgradeable, just insert new CD disc. Another nice thing about the Alpine is you can use the factory Amp, sounds very good.

You need to find someone knowledgeable not only with stereos but with Lambos to do the install.

Can you detail the install on the rear camera? The dealer I'm working with does not do it and I don't have a clue who in the Southeast United States specializes in that sort of install.

Beachbummed - where (state) are you in? PM me.

1. You can upgrade but you have to do some wiring. When u PM I'll give more info.

2 & 3. I purchased an 18" acrylic saftey mirror (the kind used in warehouse for blind corners, etc). Cut a pattern of my outside mirrors, then cut the saftey mirror to shape. I took double sided 3m tape and attached the new mirrors..the plexiglass is very light and they hold up perfectly. The mirrors give 160 degrees visibility each (180 is a straight line), so you virtually have Zero blind spot and even can see a car next to you at the same time.

The mirrors take care of the blind spot while driving, but I had a problem with backing up into a parking spot and judging distance (I know how to do the door open, hanging out routine - but sometimes it looks akward). Anyway, for this the back up camera works. The key is to get a camera that does not distort the distance, as most are wide angled used for blind spots while driving, and not "real distance" imaging. I can give u a few leads or do a google on back up cameras. You basically have 2 choices - a cam built into the license plate frame or a bullet style (which I have) that fits neatly into the rear fan grill. Most cams on the market come pre-wired with a standard VHS RCA jack and are 1 or 2 Lux, meaning you can see in the dark with them.

For the head unit - Either Alpine or Pioneer. Both are camera ready and have features that allow the cam to come on automatically when you put the car in reverse. Pioneer (IMHO) is easier to use with a touch screen menu - but I went with Alpine to keep my car to original specs (came with Alpine). Go to Circuit city just to check out the features between models. For example, some have the screen, but if you want to change radio stations, you have to close the screen, change stations, then open the screen again - while others allow you to switch stations with screen open.

The first thing I would do is the mirrors. It's easy and cheap. I think the mirror was about $50. I took some kitchen Glad Cling wrap and stuck in on the mirror. Drew a pattern with a sharpie of the mirror inside the housing. Cut it out as a pattern, then made an identical template out of cardboard. I used the cardboard one to draw on the plexiglass mirror. A dremel will not cut the plexiglass mirror, so I went to a shop that does plastic signs and they cut it out for me for $20. Best thing I ever did, makes the driving experience a whole lot better!

L Diablo is right about the camara's. We use a bullet cam and mount it in the upper left corner of the right radiator grill. A simple L-bracket can attach right at the frame for support. I pick up power from the fuse panel in the eng. compartment. I run the RCA cable through the right rocker and inside along with the main electical harness, out next to the ECM's. I also install a micro switch soI can have the camara on while in reverse or while moving forward. You simply switch the trigger wire from the unit. One downfall with the Pioneer unit is fooling it to play a DVD while the car is moving. I've only done 1 pioneer and that was in a Benz a couple years ago. They might have changed by now, but the Alpine blew this one away in many areas.

Mike

Did you install mine? It is a very good feature.

I'm thinking of putting one in the front. In the city it would be helpful pulling up to a curb.

Does the Alpine handle two?

Hey John

Yea I did yours. I've never done 2 camaras, but I bet we could. The Alpine only has 1 input but I'm sure we could do a switch to flip front to rear. I don't think you could use both at the same time, but I'll look into it.

I understand your coming down Wed. Look forward to seeing you. Be prepared, your babies in pieces :(

Mike

More pieces than last year? That was a trip seeing it come apart. I guess the body parts off make it look totally a wreck.

I don't know if I want to see that! I can't stand the sight of blood.

Beachbummed - where (state) are you in? PM me.

1. You can upgrade but you have to do some wiring. When u PM I'll give more info.

2 & 3. I purchased an 18" acrylic saftey mirror (the kind used in warehouse for blind corners, etc). Cut a pattern of my outside mirrors, then cut the saftey mirror to shape. I took double sided 3m tape and attached the new mirrors..the plexiglass is very light and they hold up perfectly. The mirrors give 160 degrees visibility each (180 is a straight line), so you virtually have Zero blind spot and even can see a car next to you at the same time.

The mirrors take care of the blind spot while driving, but I had a problem with backing up into a parking spot and judging distance (I know how to do the door open, hanging out routine - but sometimes it looks akward). Anyway, for this the back up camera works.  The key is to get a camera that does not distort the distance, as most are wide angled used for blind spots while driving, and not "real distance" imaging.  I can give u a few leads or do a google on back up cameras. You basically have 2 choices - a cam built into the license plate frame or a bullet style (which I have) that fits neatly into the rear fan grill. Most cams on the market come pre-wired with a standard VHS RCA jack and are 1 or 2 Lux, meaning you can see in the dark with them.

For the head unit - Either Alpine or Pioneer.  Both are camera ready and have features that allow the cam to come on automatically when you put the car in reverse. Pioneer (IMHO) is easier to use with a touch screen menu - but I went with Alpine to keep my car to original specs (came with Alpine). Go to Circuit city just to check out the features between models. For example, some have the screen, but if you want to change radio stations, you have to close the screen, change stations, then open the screen again - while others allow you to switch stations with screen open.

The first thing I would do is the mirrors. It's easy and cheap. I think the mirror was about $50. I took some kitchen Glad Cling wrap and stuck in on the mirror. Drew a pattern with a sharpie of the mirror inside the housing. Cut it out as a pattern, then made an identical template out of cardboard. I used the cardboard one to draw on the plexiglass mirror. A dremel will not cut the plexiglass mirror, so I went to a shop that does plastic signs and they cut it out for me for $20. Best thing I ever did, makes the driving experience a whole lot better!

do you have a site that i can buy this glass from? and is there any specific name for it?

thanks