Glashutte and Chronoswiss

coollambo

What do you guys think of these 2 brands? Experiences?

Not looking for resale value, I would like to know abou the "status" and the overall quality.

Quality of both watches is excellent.I would rank Glaschutte higher than Chronoswiss and IMO their product is superior to most brands out there.Not a lot of recognition in NA for Glaschutte but they a very prestigious in Europe.If you have a choice go with Glaschutte

Their Panoreserve, Panograph and Panoretrograph watches are very neat.

-Olivier

Their Panoreserve, Panograph and Panoretrograph watches are very neat.

-Olivier

And very well made.You are getting to be quite a watch connaisseur Olivier :supz:

"Everybody wants to be like daddy" :lol: :supz:

As I told you previously, I'm just an enthousiast. I know a bit about watches, but I try to learn everyday, and look for nice designs and quality craftsmanship over the net, reading about some models, etc. I always liked watches, but honestly, when I saw your AP this summer, it kinda re-sparked that interest even more, as I did not know enough about high-end stuff to start a conversation with you about it. I'll be more ready during the 2006 GP week end!! :partyman: :mrgreen:

Do you own any Glashutte Aram? And what did you think of my UN recommendations from the other day, if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me if you'd like instead of cluttering this thread. Sorry btw to coollambo.

-Olivier

"Everybody wants to be like daddy" :lol:  :supz:  

As I told you previously, I'm just an enthousiast. I know a bit about watches, but I try to learn everyday, and look for nice designs and quality craftsmanship over the net, reading about some models, etc. I always liked watches, but honestly, when I saw your AP this summer, it kinda re-sparked that interest even more, as I did not know enough about high-end stuff to start a conversation with you about it. I'll be more ready during the 2006 GP week end!!  :partyman: :mrgreen:

Do you own any Glashutte Aram? And what did you think of my UN recommendations from the other day, if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me if you'd like instead of cluttering this thread. Sorry btw to coollambo.

-Olivier

No,i don't own any Glashutte and i don't see any in the future.Their watches just don't do it for me.Too bland IMO but that is just me.

As far as UN goes,very nice time pieces,excellent design and mechanism,top notch craftmanship and finish.

But:

The freak is not my cup of tea.

The Sonata is too busy.

The only UN i really like is the Galileo Galilei,1 third of the trilogy of time.The other 2 pieces don't turn me on.

The biggest problem with UN is depreciation.When you get into watches worth 50k plus,it would be nice if they held up their value,never mind appreciating.UN is sort of like an Aston.The resale is terrible.

For the same price,you can get a Patek or AP that will hold its value and in some cases appreciate if you are lucky.

But the most important thing is that you have to love the watch.As a rule,they are like cars.Bad investments

The analogy of Aston Martin vs UN is very interesting and I fully understand what you mean. Beautiful, good, and crappy resale. :) Too bad, I know next to nothing about the prices and resale value of those goods.

I knew the APs and Pateks could hold their value though, as I read often that they represent investments sometimes. Just sometimes...:)

The Galileo Galilei is a gorgeous piece. The Keppler is wild, almost too wild, and the Coppernicus falls short IMO for such a high price.

Thanks for the info on the watches Aram.

-Olivier

AP seems to be the one to buy in regards to holding value. One of my friends got the Cabinet Piece number 4 about 9 months ago and sold it making a pretty good profit. He just got the new AP Skeleton, just plain beautiful. What do you think of those pieces Aram? I also really like Lange and Sohne, just like Glashutte, they don't get a lot of recognition. The datograph is one of my favorites. :supz:

AP seems to be the one to buy in regards to holding value. One of my friends got the Cabinet Piece number 4 about 9 months ago and sold it making a pretty good profit. He just got the new AP Skeleton, just plain beautiful. What do you think of those pieces Aram? I also really like Lange and Sohne, just like Glashutte, they don't get a lot of recognition. The datograph is one of my favorites. :supz:

Lange has better brand recogntion than Glashutte.Lange also makes magnificent watches.Their quality is second to none,same for the finish.

The datograph is stunning and is probably the best movement in a chronograph at the present time.It is not cheap and seems to hold its value relatively well.Funny thing is the datograph has not appreciated like its main competitor,the Patek 5070. 2 years ago you could a 5070 for 20 to 22k.They are now hovering around the 40 to 45k mark with another price increase coming up at the end of this month.

The Lange movement IMO is better than the reworked Lemania in the 5070 but the 5070 seems to hold the edge with the collectors.

The datograph in platinum can be purchsed for round 32 to 35k new and there does not seem to be any upward pressure on the price.The RG datograph is around 28k.I have a 5070 and i absolutely love it.I almost bought a Datograph a couple of times but there is something about the watch that makes me think twice everytime.I cannot pinpoint what.I just can't fall in love with it.

The Lange 1 and 1815 are also very beautiful.

As far as AP is concerned,it is not guaranteed that all models will hold their value well.The ROO is very hot and seems to have a hold on the market for oversize watches.The ROO has a presence that no other watch can match IMO.

However,AP is making too many limited editions and not all of them have been a huge success.The Montoya in RG is absolutely stunning,the T3 leaves me cold but prices seem to have picked up on it the last little while.

One of my favorutes is the End of days which is the first limited edition ROO and keeps going up in value.The End of days is very hard to find and wil probably set you back 26 to 30k right now.That is about twice the original list price.It is also the first black PVD coated watch AP produced.

The concept is very interesting but does nothing for me.

The cabinet#4 might be on my want list.Time will tell.

Sorry for the long post

Aram, love the long post man. I believe that both Oliver and I have a passion for the watches but lack the pocket book as of yet to acquire them. I like learing about them especially when it is from someone who has bought and owned them. I will be living vicariously through you for a few more years if you don't mind.

Well said Chris, very well put and summarized. As much as I like those high end toys (cars, watches, etc) I just can't afford them right now. That does not mean I can't learn about them to be fully ready to acquire some when I get in the good financial position I hope to be in. :)

BTW Aram, a watch recently caught my eye, and wanted your opinion on it: the Hublot Big Bang, in rose gold. I think it's marvelous, beautiful watch, and seems to be technically well designed from what I've been reading. Ever been up close with those watches? And thanks for the previous technical post. :)

-Olivier

Well said Chris, very well put and summarized. As much as I like those high end toys (cars, watches, etc) I just can't afford them right now. That does not mean I can't learn about them to be fully ready to acquire some when I get in the good financial position I hope to be in. :)

BTW Aram, a watch recently caught my eye, and wanted your opinion on it: the Hublot Big Bang, in rose gold. I think it's marvelous, beautiful watch, and seems to be technically well designed from what I've been reading. Ever been up close with those watches? And thanks for the previous technical post. :)

-Olivier

I saw the Hublot Big Bang in Vegas .I was livid after seeing it because IMO it is an imitation of the RO Montoya RG.I know copying is one of the best compliments but i was really disappointed to see Hublot coming up with a design so similar to the Montoya.

Needless to say,i don't like the watch and i woud never buy it.Resale will suck because it is a Hublot and it is not cheap.Better save up and buy the Montoya RG.It is one of the hottest wqtches on the market right now and is commanding 10k over list.

One thing you can be sure of.You will not lose money on a RG Montoya.Then,i could be proven wrong but i doubt it.

So far i ahve been offered 45k,47k,50k and 53k for my Montoya.Strong market place

That is a real favorite of mine. I don't care as much for the rose gold though. I like the Titanium watch better for my personal taste. Does that one command the same premium?

I think the main reason why I liked the Hublot so much is probably because of the similarity with the Montoya RG. I see your point Aram though, after thinking about it, might as well go for the real thing (AP). Obviously, they are not in the same price bracket. Interesting info though, thanks for explaining the market situation. The Montoya prices are crazy!! I bet those kind of watch appreciations are rare. You made a good investment. :)

-Olivier

• 3 weeks later...