Should I buy an Islero S for restoration?

Flueck

Hello together

My experience for italian cars are in an Alfa Romeo. But I have the possibility to get an Islero S.

- The car is not in a very good condition (ready for restoration) but complete, no missing parts.

- The body has rust and has to be completely renewed.

- Interior: I think the seats have to be covered with new leather, also at the door-side). The dashboard looks quite ok. Door panels, steering wheels, has to be restored.

- Engine: Runs quite smoothly. No major problems, damages

- Other mechanical works: Don't know exactly, but I think major work (brakes, lights, suspension,...)

At the end of the day (or 2 years :-) the car should look like this one:

http://www.lp112.com/images/Cars/Islero/6198-a.jpg

Would you do it?

Do you think that there will be immense costs?

I like this GT-styled late 60ies Lambos! But the project is quiet extensive!

Thanks for any oppinions!

See you

Flueck

Islero is worth 65k max in today's market.That is for a mint car.Restoration alone can cost more than that from your description.

I would pass unless you intend on keeping the car a long time or you have the knowledge to do part of the restoration yourself

No compression check yet.

Is this a major problem of those 3.5 V12 engines?

Thanks and see you

Flueck

No. The 4 liter engine is quite durable. However a rebuild does cost quite a bit of money.

Yes, if you get the car cheap and, most important, it's all there. Missing parts can and will be a nightmare.

Hello together

Thanks a lot for you answers.

The car was offered for USD 16'000 to me. From that side of wiev, I think there is not too much risk. Or whats your oppinion?

Sorry, ralfabco, of course I meant the 4 litre engine... I am a little bit too nervous....

Yes, I'll really check if it's all there!

Perhaps I will get som pics... but not for sure.

See you

Flueck

I would go for it, if the engine is mechanically sound, and everything is their.

Rust has to be cut out. - That is expensive. However that can be done a little bit over time (assuming the car is garage kept). It does not have to be done immediately.

As Peter mentioned, don't buy a headache, if quite a few parts are missing.

If the engine has bad compression, you should walk. However a driving Islero S for around $16,000, with a decent engine, needing an extensive cosmetic restoration (if everything is their, and the rust is not too bad), is probably a good buy.

That would give you room, to restore the car for around 20/35K. A solid Islero S driver, should be worth at least 35/40K. The Islero also has good potential, to go up some more in price. The 400 GT 2+2, is no longer a cheap buy. That leaves room for the Islero to appreciate slowly. Their are plenty of other people, that have done far worse than buying a "running" Islero S for 16K.

Before you buy the car you need to get a professional opinion on what needs to be done and how much.You will be surprised how fast the bills add up.