F50 on Ebay

thecyrax

F50 is sweet and a turd at the same time.

The reason i say this, is it has virtually the same performance stats as an F40, with a v12 and 7 more years worth of technology. Thats why Ferrari never allowed independant testing of the cars, and likely why they were lease only off the hop.

Don't get me wrong, I still adore this car, but I can understand why many don't.

also, allan tends to dislike Ferrari's in general so I'm sure there was at least a bit of bias in his opinion.

I think the big problem is that it costs so damn much...way more than an F40. But then again it is a lot rarer. I've never seen an F50 in my life, nor a 288 GTO for that matter, but F40s, several.

Here's some PROS & CONS from what I've heard over the years:

PROS:

1) sub 3000 lb, 500 hp V12 for the road

2) very good chassis, steering (no assist) and handling

3) great V12 noise

4) Last supercar Ferrari before the driver aid era

5) collectable Ferrari

CONS:

1) Not a lot of torque for a car of its class

2) No real performance advantage over an F40

3) Very expensive....considering the overall performance value

4) Styling is alright....good presence, but many (myself included) prefer F40 styling.....(still way better than anything coming out of the factory today :)

So there you have it, that's the F50 in a nutshell. To most it doesn't impress, but to a driving purist, I'm sure it's better than anything coming out of Maranello & S'Antagata these days, price no object.

I'm sure Ralph would like a drive. :mrgreen:

I drove an F50, gutless 750K POS. Give me an F40 anyday.

I'm pretty sure most people feel the same way.

For me, I'm not as performance hungry as you. But I'd likely never drop the money because its really not worth it. for half that price, it would be a lot more interesting of a car.

As a side note, does anyone else feel that we're nearing the pinnacle of what can be done in a car, performance-wise? The F50 isn't much faster than an F40 at least partly because we're getting to the point where cars can only be fast. You are limited by aerodynamics, downforce, and traction, to name a few. I don't think that 30 years from now road cars will be going 0-60 in 0.5 seconds. I just don't think it's possible. I think the future is making cars go as fast as they do now but doing so more efficiently, using less/no fuel, and so on.

Way too much money for this car. Especially when you consider this used to be the Norwood Twin Turbo Car. In fact, most of those pictures were taken in Norwoods current shop. It has been put back by James Patterson @ Norwood, and done correctly, but for that kind of money, it should be an original car. The car was brokered from the owner (Doom Video game creator I think) last year for way, way less money than shown here. I like the way the seller makes no mention of the previous turbo set up. In fact, they tout the conversion back to stock as a complete refresh and service :roll:

• 3 weeks later...
Way too much money for this car. Especially when you consider this used to be the Norwood Twin Turbo Car. In fact, most of those pictures were taken in Norwoods current shop. It has been put back by James Patterson @ Norwood, and done correctly, but for that kind of money, it should be an original car. The car was brokered from the owner (Doom Video game creator I think) last year for way, way less money than shown here. I like the way the seller makes no mention of the previous turbo set up. In fact, they tout the conversion back to stock as a complete refresh and service :roll:

If this is true, then it was John Carmacks F50. I read an article on it a while back ( I think its on Norwoods site if you want to check it out) and they never got it running right. I believe it actually ran slower than a stock f50 to 150mph even though it was making boost. I don't know if would consider that "collector's condition"...