Gold Wheels Refinishing?

NYCT

So I am the new guy with the 86 QV in NYC. Yes, I know I'm crazy. I have figured my way around the good streets to by able to get out of the city as soon as possible without TOO many potholes.

Unfortunately before I figured my way around (I know this will make owners cry as much as I did) I had an incident with an unavoidable pothole. Sometimes you can't steer around the ones wider than the car with cabs and trucks all around you. I managed to steer the left side around so I would have both wheels in and do a nose dive, but the right side wheels got there war wounds. Thank God the body didn't get hit.

Short version is, my rims got scratched. The gold coating got peeled off with slight scratching of the metal. Is there anyone out there that is capable of refinishing the Gold on these wheels? What about finding a set of good condition rims as a spare? That way I'll have my city rims and country rims.

Here are some photos of the rim damage. I shall now go cry myself to sleep and hope for a miracle tomorrow.

NYCT, I am sure the rim can be repaired at a good wheel shop while your at it please change out those 20 year old tires. Don't disgard them as they are no longer available in that sidewall style (IE: Save for possible show use only) but don't play Russian roulet and drive around town with them on they can and will fail at any time. Sincerely Vic

PS: You can order the new tires from the Tire Rack, the rears can be a long lead time item so order them soon

Contact Wil Degroot at www.exoticars-usa.com

Contact Wil Degroot at www.exoticars-usa.com

In Frenchtown, New Jersey

RedLambo - The tires were new on the car when I picked it up not sure where they came from, but definitely new. Are you saying the Pirelli's aren't available anymore?

Sometimes pirellis are hard to come by. Chad Bolles usually has/can get them....ones that are not dryrotted.

Chad or Tire Rack

Anyone know, if the (old L car's) also came with the spare in gold ? I would guess that they would not. Stephen's car, came with a factory gold spare.

RedLambo - The tires were new on the car when I picked it up not sure where they came from, but definitely new. Are you saying the Pirelli's aren't available anymore?

i think he said that because they look even to me old P7 :

they are not more made by pirelli since 15 years

even if they are almost never used, they are old and pretty dangerous on anything but shows

i'd buy new pirelli pzero to be safe driving the car

Chad or Tire Rack

Anyone know, if the (old L car's) also came with the spare in gold ?    I would guess that they would not.    Stephen's car, came with a factory gold spare.

i have seen some gold spare Ralf

The tire that is on the damaged rim is an old tire, Pirelli has not made that P7 tire with the tall sidewall lettering for quite some time, they may look new but chances are they sat on a shelf for many years. Rubber deteriorates over time, if you want to know how old they are there is a DOT stamp on the sidewall of the tire. It is three or four digit number the first two numbers designate the week the tire was manufactured and the last number or numbers designates the year of manufacture.

Example A)0304, means the tire was manufactured the third week of 2004.

Example B)245, means the tire was manufactured the twentyforth week of either 1985 or 1995

Example B is tricky because before 2000 tire manufactures only used one character to designate the year, refer to the link below it will tell you how to differentiate between the two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

Sincerely Vic

SAVE THOSE TIRES ! Get them off and put them to the side. Contact the Tire rack and see if they can get you some new assemetrico's to go on there.

thanks for the tip on the tires, and the wheels. Nice to know I got a nice show bonus with my purchase. I guess I missed a couple things in my pre-purchase research. I contacted Wil and will get the tires as well.

Memory does not serve me right, but I think those tires had just been installed on the car before we serviced it. They are old stock but were new. :roll:

thanks mike. i guess they were new old stock. Definitely stll have those new-tire rubber hairs on the sidewall. I'll take em off once I can get the replacements.