Brake lights not working :(

Dan Ciezniewzki

took the beast for a short drive today with my sister behind me and as I brake after cresting a hill she comes flying behind me and skids to a stop. Apparently my brake lights arent working. Took it back tot he hanger and turned the lights off and depressed the brake peddle and nothing. The reverse light comes on and when I turn the headlights on the rear light come on for night driving, but still no brake lights. As far as I know up till today or maybe yesterday they worked. The only thing I could think of was my play day in the snow yesterday just sliding it around an open lots for an hour....maybe water/snow got into the wires???

When it comes to eletrical stuff Im a dumbass, all I can think of is to change the fuse.

Anyone have anyclue what could be wrong or an easy fix short of drving it 100+ miles to the dealer, I just dont feal safe driving with no brakes, the last thing I need is a rear end collision :(

Guest mark m
took the beast for a short drive today with my sister behind me and as I brake after cresting a hill she comes flying behind me and skids to a stop. Apparently my brake lights arent working. Took it back tot he hanger and turned the lights off and depressed the brake peddle and nothing. The reverse light comes on and when I turn the headlights on the rear light come on for night driving, but still no brake lights. As far as I know up till today or maybe yesterday they worked. The only thing I could think of was my play day in the snow yesterday just sliding it around an open lots for an hour....maybe water/snow got into the wires???

When it comes to eletrical stuff Im a dumbass, all I can think of is to change the fuse.

Anyone have anyclue what could be wrong or an easy fix short of drving it 100+ miles to the dealer, I just dont feal safe driving with no brakes, the last thing I need is a rear end collision :(

More than likely the brake light switch, mounted over the pedal, easy swap, mine went couple months ago

mark

• 2 years later...

look under dash next to brake pedal. the btake light switch has two wires. one of the should have power either alwaus or with key on. use a 12 volt test light to check. if you have power to either of the switch terminals, disconnect connector and jump both terminals. if brake lights turn on, get a new switch. if thlights dont turn on, you may have burned out bulb or damaged, or disconnected wiring between switch and brake light bulbs. good luck.

if your brake light bulbs are good, check for power at brake light switch uunder dash. use a 12 volt test light if you have power to the two prong switch, jump both connectors and see if lights turn on if they do, change brake light switch. if they dont, you may have a wiring problem between switch and light bulbs. good luck

FYI,

The older Diablo brake light switch is on the front side of the "firewall" screwed in to one of the hydraulic brake lines near the master cylinder. It uses brake line pressure to activate the switch. Common failure. I upgraded my 91 to the under the dash style.

the OP has been banned and I doubt he still has a problem with his car

Hell last I knew he might not even have the car anymore. LOL