Jalpa repair advice request

Ohlgren

Hey everyone,

I am still getting a handle on the extent of my needed repairs. I wanted to show the list of issues from my shop. This was what they found on the surface. :eusa_wall:

1. Fuel pump leaking fuel from housing (addressed).

2. Spark plug caps missing (addressed).

3. Ignition coil connection to lead wire. C connector crushed with pliers and stuffed into coil outlet.

4. messy wiring and dropped wires (addressed several).

5. Alternator bracket (glued... yes glued, bent and tack welded to valve cover) Alternator is leaning and threatning to drop belt. :huh:

6. Choke improperly mounted on alternator bracket. (welded at an odd angle)

7. Fuel lines blistering and recommended to be replaced with braided lines.

8. Gasket leak under the carburetor box.

9. Throttle cable routed improperly (addressed?).

10. Air pump wires cut.

11. Air pump missing belt.

12. Air pump missing bracket.

13. Air pump has cut and missing hoses.

14. Panel missing from belly.

15. Wire harness had bad connectors all around.

16. Recommended rebuilding Carburetors while they were off the car. There is gas sludge in one of the boxes.

This is on the surface. I am missing parts here and there. There are little anoying things wrong I would like to fix, but above are some bigger issues needed to be taken care of before driving. I fear there are more issues deeper in the engine bay. My mechanic took off the air boxes and looked around. He did not get into the engine. A quick look made the list above.

My current line of thinking is to get the carburetors rebuilt professionaly. replace the fuel lines and probably oil lines with steel braided (Aeroquip) professionaly. I plan to try and get the air pump running myself. These repairs will get me running and through DEQ. Once I clear that hurdle, I will dive deeper.

I am having a dilema about stock versus modifications. I had hoped to stay close to stock, but parts have been really hard to find and I have seen lots of recomendations for improvements. (I want to avoid engine fires) I don't plan on selling my car for a very very long time. It is important for me to drive it and enjoy it. I love car shows and would like to share the car I love, but I plan to drive to said shows. I am not looking to win concourses. However I do not want to destroy the value or potential value of my Jalpa.

Try to keep it stock, or put in upgrades to make it more dependable is the question? :eusa_think:

I too recently had my Jalpa in for "a few minor things" and the mechanic ended up keeping it for 6 months. Rebuilding the carbs is a must for performance as well as safety. All the fuel as well as the cooling lines should be replaced if they are original. You can rest assured that there will be some form of clogging and corrosion from old antifreeze if it wasn't changed on a regular basis. My car used to run hot till I pulled apart the engine, cleaned it up, and replaced the head gaskets......she runs nice and cool now. I can't remeber everything I had done (about 40 pages worth) but if you have any specific questions, drop me a PM.

Good luck.

I have coolant leaks all over the place. Judging by past repairs and conditions of things, this car was very poorly maintained. I will look into the cooling system. I am pretty sure there is a lot of unpleasant stuff going on that I don't see throughout the car. I will most likely be under repair for quite a while. I hope to fix a bunch of stuff, drive a little, fix stuff and drive a little, so I can spread the cost and downtime out. I enjoy doing it so no worries. As I have said before, I didn't expect to have to do so much right off the bat.

As we tell everyone bringing an old Lambo back to glory:

You're doing God's work........God bless.

What parts are you thinking about replacing with non Jalpa parts? Some modifications would not hurt the value as long as it could be returned back to original.

i mean no disrespect when i say this, but i dont know how you guys buy these cars this way. or i should say, i hope you got them cheap.

i have to go to work, so this will be short. i posted a Jalpa cross ref thread on here and on Ferrari Chat for Urracos and Jalpas. get the carb parts from Pierce Manifolds in California. get the metric fuel and cooling hoses from the local BMW / VW supplier. i would NEVER EVER buy any old ferrari or lambo and expect the airpump crap or a/c to be there and work. if you need to meet emissions in your state you are going to have a very long and expensive battle with a Jalpa.

***** the alternator issue is critical*******

the belt looks like a timing belt for a reason . the drive shaft for the alternator comes off the dizzy / cam gears and if its not right, or if it slips the timing will be off and the car will not run. i dont **think** you can bend any valves if the Alternator drive shaft slip, but i would check with one of the experts.

DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR UNTIL THE ALTERNATOR BRACKET IS FIXED.

get a parts manual so you can see how the parts go together and what the Lambo part numbers are.

there are ways to remove the cabs from the USA sealed airboxes while they are off and use separate airboxes that will make the linkage and carbs much easier to live with.

good luck. when the GTB is gone, i will start looking for a euro early Jalpa. going to be busy with Catia V4 / V5 school for work for the rest of the year, so i wont be on the net much anymore.

i will try to help if i can.

Michael M.

post-3289-1172919565_thumb.jpg

sorry for the hi-jack -

just noticed that all us Jalpa owners on this thread are "Official LP Member" rather than "Lambo Owner" -

guess I know my place now -

back in the 'double-wide on the lower 40' -

:eusa_shhh:

~T~

Your right Travis. I guess us V8 owners aint good enuff :eusa_wall:

Your right Travis. I guess us V8 owners aint good enuff :eusa_wall:

That's funny. I think it is more like we haven't taken the time to change our title, than some second class thing. in the end, it's still a REAL Lamborghini.

That's funny. I think it is more like we haven't taken the time to change our title, than some second class thing. in the end, it's still a REAL Lamborghini.

This is most certainly the case. Have you guys put your names in for Lambo-Owner titles?

This is most certainly the case. Have you guys put your names in for Lambo-Owner titles?

actually, mine used ta say so -

but I know there have been format changes, etc...

Allan -

I looked for the THREAD you mention before I posted the other reply, but didn't see it -

where has it moved to -

I believe it WAS in the GENERAL - STICKIES area -

~T~

In response to Carreaper (Mike),

The modifications I plan to make are to add all steel braided lines for fuel and oil. The place I talked to about doing this would replace the connections and or modify them to have the required fittings (not hose clamps). I am wondering if it is worth trying to save those old connectors or just modify and replace them to accomodate the braided lines. The bracket is going no matter what, just wondering whether I should throw it in a box or not.

As I move on in the restoration, I plan to replace the engine mounts if not done, I am pondering replacing the valves with stainless (I heard the stock ones can rust and break), wiring needs attention, I might get a higher output alternator. Nothing too specific at this point. Just wondering if anyone out there thinks it is worth the time, expense, and living with issues in order to stay stock on a Jalpa. No plans for NOS or Zebra seats at this point.

As for how I could I be dumb enough to buy a Lamborghini, sight unseen, and have it shipped from coast to coast? I had seen this exact car several years ago and it had some issues. When talking to the recent seller, he was aware of issues I knew the car had and he had resolved many of them.... Which is true. I expected the car to have more issues. MOST stories I hear about Jalpas involve spendy overhauls. I LOVE THIS CAR. This exact VIN car. Black on black, red badges, with side skirts unlike any I have seen elsewhere. It was a purchase based on passion and lust with reason thrown out the window. I took a gamble. I was willing to take the risk for a car I loved. The car has a lot of great features as well. When I get it sorted, it is going to be an amazing example of the Jalpa.

Anyway, I was really really stupid. Buying an older Lamborghini sight unseen, is a really really bad idea if you are not willing to do some major work. I had seen it, but things have changed since then.

Buying a Lamborghini is never practical, but yeh, I could have been done better (most likely I would have negotiated a better price). I hope my story helps people know where to look for issues and what can happen if you are not careful.

My goal is to get the car in as good of condition as I possibly can. NO regrets.

In response to Carreaper (Mike),

The modifications I plan to make are to add all steel braided lines for fuel and oil. The place I talked to about doing this would replace the connections and or modify them to have the required fittings (not hose clamps). I am wondering if it is worth trying to save those old connectors or just modify and replace them to accomodate the braided lines. The bracket is going no matter what, just wondering whether I should throw it in a box or not.

As I move on in the restoration, I plan to replace the engine mounts if not done, I am pondering replacing the valves with stainless (I heard the stock ones can rust and break), wiring needs attention, I might get a higher output alternator. Nothing too specific at this point. Just wondering if anyone out there thinks it is worth the time, expense, and living with issues in order to stay stock on a Jalpa. No plans for NOS or Zebra seats at this point.

As for how I could I be dumb enough to buy a Lamborghini, sight unseen, and have it shipped from coast to coast? I had seen this exact car several years ago and it had some issues. When talking to the recent seller, he was aware of issues I knew the car had and he had resolved many of them.... Which is true. I expected the car to have more issues. MOST stories I hear about Jalpas involve spendy overhauls. I LOVE THIS CAR. This exact VIN car. Black on black, red badges, with side skirts unlike any I have seen elsewhere. It was a purchase based on passion and lust with reason thrown out the window. I took a gamble. I was willing to take the risk for a car I loved. The car has a lot of great features as well. When I get it sorted, it is going to be an amazing example of the Jalpa.

Anyway, I was really really stupid. Buying an older Lamborghini sight unseen, is a really really bad idea if you are not willing to do some major work. I had seen it, but things have changed since then.

Buying a Lamborghini is never practical, but yeh, I could have been done better (most likely I would have negotiated a better price). I hope my story helps people know where to look for issues and what can happen if you are not careful.

My goal is to get the car in as good of condition as I possibly can. NO regrets.

(Oh yeah, I got the books before I got the car. I have been able to locate pretty much everything I need.)

I too purchased my car sight unseen from a broker in Chicago. I was able to speak to the two previous owners (DMV search by VIN) and to the Lamborghini dealer who worked on it just before I got it. Even with all that previous leg work, the car still had issues when I got it. Moral of the story.........don't take anyones work for it. With a Jalpa, the small stuff can really add up. Luckly, the engine compression was fine and the car ran strong. The price point I paid was average at that time frame, and the car has apprciated since then. I don't know if I'll even get all my money back when I sell but at least untill then, I can enjoy the ride.

just for the record guys i never said , nor implied anyone was "dumb", or "stupid".

my comments were not meant as disrespect. ( hence my phrase "no disrespect intended")

all i was trying to say, is that i know how hard a needy car can be to enjoy.

i am an aircraft mechanic, and i both enjoy working on things mechanical and enjoy a challange.

my point is, if a person is not a mechanic with a shop at home, a beater Lamborghini will be very, very expensive and frustrating to learn on.

my other point is that people who only write checks for others to do all the work are setting themselves up for a beating as you can cross reference parts here and there, as well as upgrade and save money, learn the car, and make it more reliable. all at the same time.

from all the money the previous owner spent on my former Jalpa, and all the crap that was wrong with it ( small things, but annoying) i wonder if its better to buy the best thing you can find, and have a forensic PPI done on it before purchase

the upgrades to the lines and hoses sound great. a Permatune from Raymond is money well spent too.

No worries Mike! I was not offended in the least. I said I was stupid. I would never recommend doing what I did without being prepared. Even then, what I did was abad idea. That was all I was trying to say. I appreciate the advice tremendously. It will not be an easy project, but I look forward to it.

Are you going to stay close to stock when you get yours?

No worries Mike! I was not offended in the least. I said I was stupid. I would never recommend doing what I did without being prepared. Even then, what I did was abad idea. That was all I was trying to say. I appreciate the advice tremendously. It will not be an easy project, but I look forward to it.

Are you going to stay close to stock when you get yours?

i am all for tasteful upgrades to make the cars safer and more reliable, but it really comes down to making yourself happy, and not what the "market" says is ok. i detest points ignition and installed dual Crane XR3000s on my 77 308. the car runs great, and we put the pickups in the same dizzy, so the timing is controlled by one set of mechanical advance weights and is more consistant than having 2 dizzys with separate 30 year old technology.

i think there are lots of areas you can tweak a Jalpa, and not make it obvious, and enjoy / drive the car more. i will be busy with school till october, so i doubt i will be able to look for anything until my 308 is sold and i am done with Catia V4 /V5 training for work.

you guys should post a few pics of your cars as works in progress.

if i can help, please let me know, before i get rusty!

michael

Pictures will be on the way soon. There are several -what the hell is going on here- type of things that can be only described in pictures. I hope to start getting into things this weekend.

Most people seem to be on the same page with me. worry less about stock, get it safe, reliable, and enjoy.

perhaps it would be a good idea to organize a thread with key areas to tastefully upgrade the cars. things like stainless steel brake lines, alternate part numbers for the tie rods and and wheel bearings, a permatune or Crane ignition system step by step install.

i think if you have one that runs and drives well, the Bravo "re issue" wheels that are available are a huge plus to the cars looks. the "POS" style look of the stock wheels makes the Jalpa look like a kit car.

i think a black car with tinted windows and gold bravos would be TITS!

screw the air conditioning and the airpumps .

anybody know what kind of exhaust that white Jalpa had that ALLANLambo posted a vid of last summer? that was sounded amazing in the vid!

that would be a great mod for a well sorted Jalpa also. its no v12, but the Jalpa 8 has a great v8 Italian sound to it.

i have no idea how to remove a pic.... there is no prompt in the attachments.....

thats my friends Saddlebred i am learning to ride.

really sorry for the horse pic in the thread. maybe a mod can remove it ?

i have no idea how to remove a pic.... there is no prompt in the attachments.....

thats my friends Saddlebred i am learning to ride.

really sorry for the horse pic in the thread. maybe a mod can remove it ?

I removed it for you. If you go to edit and then scroll down to the drop down menu "manage Current attachments"

you can pull it down and click the box with the red X. It will delete it.

BTW: Nice looking horse