eBay auctions

ralfabco

It appears often that eBay Motors auctions, are no longer auctions at all. There are so many bidded up cars, that seem to run out of steam, as the price begins to approach actual market value (either wholesale or retail) or even beyond that price point.

Look at the 30K automatic transmission Espada on eBay :shock: (reserve not met). Do you remember the 295K Miura, that has just popped up again ? What about the 50K Jarama S, with the worn out paint ? A 1959 Chrysler 300E, non-running project with significant rust for 12.5K ?

These cars were all bidded up to overmarket prices, yet they have all failed to reach the reserve price and sale.

The same practice is all over eBay Motors. Almost every collector car I have checked, that has been bidded up to a hi price, has almost always failed to meet the reserve price. Keeping the bidders anonymous, has for the most part, ended any hope of a fair genuine auction. The sellers appear to bid it up, and are counting on someone to foolishly step on the ice. Of course cars do sell on eBay. However today, often times, there are simply too many shill bids, on the sellers listed lots.

Ebay just changed their private policy and is going to be collecting a lot of information from buyers and sellers. If people continue shill bidding and frauding, they are going to have their asses handed to them.

Throw on top of that the fact that a scam might be involved.

Ebay makes things too easy.

Shil bidding, scams, misrepresenations, you name it.

Throw on top of that the fact that a scam might be involved.

Ebay makes things too easy.

Shil bidding, scams, misrepresenations, you name it.

Yeah, this is why the fcuking stock can't hold a nickel gain :eusa_wall: .

EBay is just another way to advertise the car. It's the best bang for the buck in advertising. To date, I have bought 5 cars through eBay; three were what I expected, one was much better than expected, and one was not as nice as expected. None have been over $20k, though, so the risk on my part was not that high. I have also sold 3 cars through eBay, all at no reserve with reasonable starting bids. So far I'm in the black when it comes to cars and eBay. :icon_thumleft:

I'm pretty happy with ebay overall. In the last few months I have sold a GTO and a TR3 for far more than I could get locally.

Every point made is valid. It is true with expensive vehicles on ebay, it is usually nothing but an advertising forum.

The point of the thread is that the auto auctions, are often no longer balanced and fair, as they used to be.

i have run all 4 Ferraris , 2 911's and one Lambo thru ebay with no sales. they were on there to wait for the right buyer to contact me, arrange a ppi and buy the car person to person.

i saw the lotus esprit i want on a recent ebay auction. now i need to get a hold of the seller in ST Louis to see if he sold the car, or if he still has it ( it failed to make reserve).

i see ebay simply as a way to reach more people.

ebay does not dictate the current state of the market.

I just sold a bunch of bike stuff and was pleasantly surprised with the results. I think the level of B.S. rises with the value of the item.

I just sold a bunch of bike stuff and was pleasantly surprised with the results. I think the level of B.S. rises with the value of the item.

:iamwithstupid:

I heard there is a competitor coming. Anyone else know about this?

I heard there is a competitor coming. Anyone else know about this?

There are lots of competitors. They just don't have enough money to advertise it enough to take over.

No, I heard a REAL competitor has been building and when it comes it will be very big and will give ebay a run for their money.

No, I heard a REAL competitor has been building and when it comes it will be very big and will give ebay a run for their money.

Again, there are several REAL competitors out there. Many of them are better, and have better prices, but again, it would cost a MINIMUM of $500 million in advertising over a two year period in order to make a big dent in Ebay's business.

Never. If so, they would probably be bought out by Ebay. Ebay has a business model that cannot be beaten. They are the originators, they have the experience under their belts.

Ebay has a business model that cannot be beaten.

Everyone and everything can be beaten.

Again, there are several REAL competitors out there.

Peter, you don't understand there is a "REAL" competitor coming.

Peter, you don't understand there is a "REAL" competitor coming.

:lol2: :rolleyes: