Diablo Timing

tfourct

Hi all,

Im a new member here and am having a problem with a Diablo. Everything about the vehicle is contradictory. I have a supposed 1996 VT however the front wheel drive is not present so you can imagine from the start what im dealing with. Anyhow onto the problem at hand. I have an overhauled engine in the vehicle that i have just fitted. Now the problem im having is that the vehicle turns over but wont start. Im looking for anyone that can give me some help with the setting of all the timing. The cam timing lines up with the crank positioning. I need to know how to go about setting up the so called phonic sensor that sits on the drivers side bank under the distributor as well as how to set the rotor?

Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice on this matter? PS i do own a manual but unfortunately its for the 97 through 99 models. And the settings im sure are different.

Many thanks to one and all

Hi all,

Im a new member here and am having a problem with a Diablo. Everything about the vehicle is contradictory. I have a supposed 1996 VT however the front wheel drive is not present so you can imagine from the start what im dealing with. Anyhow onto the problem at hand. I have an overhauled engine in the vehicle that i have just fitted. Now the problem im having is that the vehicle turns over but wont start. Im looking for anyone that can give me some help with the setting of all the timing. The cam timing lines up with the crank positioning. I need to know how to go about setting up the so called phonic sensor that sits on the drivers side bank under the distributor as well as how to set the rotor?

Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice on this matter? PS i do own a manual but unfortunately its for the 97 through 99 models. And the settings im sure are different.

Many thanks to one and all

Are you sure you dont have one of the 1996 two wheel drive cars?

Many of the specs for the 96 will be similar to 97-99, but "crank no start" could be several things. 1st things 1st, you need to narrow down if she is getting a spark and fuel. Many of us might be able to send you in the right direction.

Hi Synystr

Yeah i have spark and fuel, she turns and sounds like she wants to fire up but then just doesnt and begins to turn over a bit differently.

Hi Synystr

Yeah i have spark and fuel, she turns and sounds like she wants to fire up but then just doesnt and begins to turn over a bit differently.

From what i remember u have to line up the mark on the flywheel to TDC and then the rotor should be lined up to cylinder #1 and the phase sensor must be somewhere between the two picks or just coming out of the top pick up.. but i havent had a diablo or worked on one in years. And dont remember exactly..It should have exact positions for timing in the manual.

From what I understand and I will have more hopefully with pictures this weekend.

1. TDC on compression side on cyl #1

2. Rotor or propeller arm should point to the top phase sensor

Hi Joey thank you for your help, And thank you too AB if you could supply me the pictures im sure it would help me out. I guess im showing im not too clued up afterall.

Thanks guys i really appreciate all the help

I dont have any pics maybe ab will.

this is what i would do.

1) Get underneath the car and look through the window and make sure the timing mark is lined up on the flyweel

2) then remove spark plug and make sure cylinder one is all the way up. (from what i remember it is On passenger side against firewall)

3) If thats ok then I would place spark plug back in and make sure rotor lines up with #1 on cap.

4) Then I would place the phase sensor just before top pick up. The phase sensor rotates so u can dial in it better.

if that doesnt work try do a full revolution with the flywheel and start over..

Sorry its been ahwile.. Hope this helps

I dont have any pics maybe ab will.

this is what i would do.

1) Get underneath the car and look through the window and make sure the timing mark is lined up on the flyweel

2) then remove spark plug and make sure cylinder one is all the way up. (from what i remember it is On passenger side against firewall)

3) If thats ok then I would place spark plug back in and make sure rotor lines up with #1 on cap.

4) Then I would place the phase sensor just before top pick up. The phase sensor rotates so u can dial in it better.

if that doesnt work try do a full revolution with the flywheel and start over..

Sorry its been ahwile.. Hope this helps

Hey Joey,

Thanks mate i appreciate all your help. This is the way i have gone about it now.

My manual states that i have to line up one of the pickups on the flywheel with the 30 degree mark in advance, then set up the phase sensor on the centre of the bank 1 - 6 pickup. How does that sound to you?

Hey Joey,

Thanks mate i appreciate all your help. This is the way i have gone about it now.

My manual states that i have to line up one of the pickups on the flywheel with the 30 degree mark in advance, then set up the phase sensor on the centre of the bank 1 - 6 pickup. How does that sound to you?

i believe the 1-6 pickup is the top one so i was a little off. Did u plug in the pickups correctly or is ther any possible way u reversed them? I cant remember if thats possible, just guessing. I had the same problem once and some how my rotor was 180 degrees off.

good luck

i believe the 1-6 pickup is the top one so i was a little off. Did u plug in the pickups correctly or is ther any possible way u reversed them? I cant remember if thats possible, just guessing. I had the same problem once and some how my rotor was 180 degrees off.

good luck

top sensor is bank 7-12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Sorry i have been away on holiday for a short bit, i did everything as you suggested and i now have the vehicle starting but after a short time it dies. I removed the plugs and they are soaking wet with fuel. It would appear that i have an overfueling problem now. Any suggestions regarding that?

Thanks