BMW 8 Series

MrDoctor

Long before I bought my current car, I was going to pull the trigger on a BMW 8 series, preferably, an 840CI. I love the car, but, for being a 12-cylinder, I believe it's engine is extremely under-utilized. Has anyone on this board every owned one, or does currently own one? What turned me off originally was its gas mileage, reliability, and maintenance. I was watching "Die another day" today and 007 made me want to buy a BMW. I could sell my current car and walk out with a nice 8 series with little money out of my pocket. Could I please get some feedback on the car? Overall, is it as unreliable as I have heard? How is the car to drive? How are the maintenance costs? What should I check into and watch out for before buying an 8 series? What year/model is the best to buy (sorry, no CSI for me)? And lastly, does anyone know of a nice one for sale in the market?

Does anyone here see a price inflation related to these cars? I believe it is a classic car that will rise in value, but I have noticed that the prices have been slowly creeping up since when I was first looking into purchasing one. Also, how much milage should I look for when buying used (something that has been well maintained and driven 11k miles per year)?

If your current car cost little to maintain, gets good gas mileage, never breaks down, and doesnt leak, you will hate the 850. These cars are beasts not just when you drive them, but when you maintain them.

Long before I bought my current car, I was going to pull the trigger on a BMW 8 series, preferably, an 840CI. I love the car, but, for being a 12-cylinder

840ci has a V8 under the hood...

If your current car cost little to maintain, gets good gas mileage, never breaks down, and doesnt leak, you will hate the 850. These cars are beasts not just when you drive them, but when you maintain them.

So the stories remain true.

At this point, I was just looking for someone to CONVINCE me to buy one :lol2: .

It is one damn sexy car though....

So, the 840 is a V8, while the 850 is a V12? Do both engines have the same reliability issues?

BTW, the popular topic seems to be the fact that I posted this in the wrong section. Could a mod please move this to the off-topic forum? Thanks!

Wasn't there a thread a while back on the 8-series saying that its chassis was bending or something of that sort? Did that thread disappear along with that last big site crash? Do a Search.

But anyway, I am quite sure that the 8-series cost major $$$ to maintain and are temperamental cars.

So the stories remain true.

At this point, I was just looking for someone to CONVINCE me to buy one :lol2: .

It is one damn sexy car though....

So, the 840 is a V8, while the 850 is a V12? Do both engines have the same reliability issues?

Yeah correct 850ci is a V12 - sorry I don`t know if the 840ci is as nightmare as the 850 to own.. Sure does 8-series look good. 850 is kind of a hot chick with various bad stds :lol2:

These are the exact same problems that got me to shammy away from a 928, another car I love. Thinking about what I currently own, and currently would like to own, it is safe to say that I am a fortunate individual for my age!

LOL, I love that analogy! The chick is hot, but she is full of STD's. Do you still want her :lol2: ?

Wasn't there a thread a while back on the 8-series saying that its chassis was bending or something of that sort?

There was such a thread, except it was about the Z8.

Not only is the 850 a nightmare with service but it also weighs more than some trucks....

Not only is the 850 a nightmare with service but it also weighs more than some trucks....

Lol! Thanks for the input! The 8 series is out the window. That is, of course, if the 840 is a different story :icon_mrgreen: .

Lol! Thanks for the input! The 8 series is out the window. That is, of course, if the 840 is a different story :icon_mrgreen: .

A pig by anyother name is still a pig.

They do look badass though. And yes the 840 > 850 except for the 850csi. But if you look around you will notice the 840s are worth more than regular 850s.

C_BMW850AlpinaB12.jpg

Whoops, you are absolutely right! I guess it was the 007 movie part on the original thread that threw me off.

But anyway, I thought of picking up a 850 a long while back just for fun. Found one at a BMW dealership. Sales took me for a great test drive which involved city, highway, up a mountain with lots of sharp turns, etc... Big mistakes from him as it completely showed off all the flaws of the car. It's heavy, slow, thirsty and the electronics a nightmare. And the rear seat are purely for decorations only --- you have to be an amputee to fit at the back, even 5-year-old won't fit. I wouldn't get it regardless of how appealing the price is. The 840 can't be any better since it's even less power & it still too heavy. Overall, a great looking car but simply a pig to drive

Long before I bought my current car, I was going to pull the trigger on a BMW 8 series, preferably, an 840CI. I love the car, but, for being a 12-cylinder, I believe it's engine is extremely under-utilized. Has anyone on this board every owned one, or does currently own one? What turned me off originally was its gas mileage, reliability, and maintenance. I was watching "Die another day" today and 007 made me want to buy a BMW. I could sell my current car and walk out with a nice 8 series with little money out of my pocket. Could I please get some feedback on the car? Overall, is it as unreliable as I have heard? How is the car to drive? How are the maintenance costs? What should I check into and watch out for before buying an 8 series? What year/model is the best to buy (sorry, no CSI for me)? And lastly, does anyone know of a nice one for sale in the market?

Does anyone here see a price inflation related to these cars? I believe it is a classic car that will rise in value, but I have noticed that the prices have been slowly creeping up since when I was first looking into purchasing one. Also, how much milage should I look for when buying used (something that has been well maintained and driven 11k miles per year)?

Your BMW will pretty much be property of your local BMW Dealership(Service Department) because it willl always be in the service bay hogging all the spot