M3 vs Lotus Elise???

apto

Hey guys,

I got my M3, and im loving it (sometimes). It has already given me a few issues (fuel pump & engine computer). I was contemplating, trading it for a 2005 Lotus Elise. Keep in mind this car would be used for city driving. I know its smaller, less practical, less comfortable. However I do love the agressive styling of it, it is definately quicker than the m3, it handles better than the M3, and its WAY better on gas than the M3.

Would it be stupid for me to trade a $40,000 BMW for a $38,000 Lotus and use it as a daily driver??? The other thing thats pulling me to it, is the fact that I am a huge attention whore ( I can't help it) and the M3 isn't hitting that for me :-(

the lotus is not an everyday car. i have one, its my daily driver but if you are over 5 feet 7 good luck getting in and out. the best thing to do is test drive one. the m3 is faster off the line but the elise is strictly a handling car. the look is defintely better than the m3 and more rare.

the lotus is not an everyday car. i have one, its my daily driver but if you are over 5 feet 7 good luck getting in and out. the best thing to do is test drive one. the m3 is faster off the line but the elise is strictly a handling car. the look is defintely better than the m3 and more rare.

Yeah, the Elise is a little too hard core to be a DD.

But for all out driving enjoyment, it is more of the ultimate driving machine than the "ultimate driving machine".

:)

Yeah, the Elise is a little too hard core to be a DD.

But for all out driving enjoyment, it is more of the ultimate driving machine than the "ultimate driving machine".

:)

I just re-read your post....you're an attention whore, eh?

Is there a way to swing into a Viper GTS? That'll do all the right things for you in that category.

M3 all the way. You will be a little disappointed with the charecter of the Lotus compared to the M3 if this is your primary car.

Dude, just stick with M3 and mod it. Fit and finnish is great, ride quality is great, handling is supperb, and you can expand its capabilities.

I just re-read your post....you're an attention whore, eh?

Is there a way to swing into a Viper GTS? That'll do all the right things for you in that category.

Details perhaps :-) I was looking int SRT-10 terroritory, but a bit too rich for my blood...maybe a gts will work!

M3 all the way. You will be a little disappointed with the charecter of the Lotus compared to the M3 if this is your primary car.

Dude, just stick with M3 and mod it. Fit and finnish is great, ride quality is great, handling is supperb, and you can expand its capabilities.

I know, I know..it truely is an amazing car. But coming from the 350z, it doesn't really give me the "sports car" feel. I think that is what I am truely missing. The M3 is just a fast sedan in my opinion, and I think I should have gone with C6 or Z4, or something sportier. I don't know, I am at a loss. I just know I am not 100% satisfied with this car.

I know, I know..it truely is an amazing car. But coming from the 350z, it doesn't really give me the "sports car" feel. I think that is what I am truely missing. The M3 is just a fast sedan in my opinion, and I think I should have gone with C6 or Z4, or something sportier. I don't know, I am at a loss. I just know I am not 100% satisfied with this car.

the sad part is when you get "the" car, you will still be discontented. If you lower your M3, put some money into the engine and the suspension, you will have an unbeatable sedan in that price range. Why waste your money on a subpar car. It will lead you to disappointment in the end.

the sad part is when you get "the" car, you will still be discontented. If you lower your M3, put some money into the engine and the suspension, you will have an unbeatable sedan in that price range. Why waste your money on a subpar car. It will lead you to disappointment in the end.

Topcarbon, can you just kind of breakdown why the elise is subpar?? I am really taking your opinion into consideration, so any more info would be awesome.

Thanks

:iamwithstupid:

I completely Agree. Mod it appearance wise! Get the entire ACS kit, lower it, add some 542r's HRE's black on chrome, and you will have all the attention in the world. Personally I know many people that drive their Elise's daily. But being in college, someone always tends to accidentally tap your car, with their bicycle, car, or whatever. And on an Elise, you'll be sorry if someone accidentally drives into your parked car at 2mph(cracks all over your fiberglass body, especially with no Bumpers). I have a modded E46 m3 with smg2, and wow am I happy with my car.

Topcarbon, can you just kind of breakdown why the elise is subpar?? I am really taking your opinion into consideration, so any more info would be awesome.

Thanks

I dont know how old you are or how big you are, but if this is a driver, ingress and egress will be a chore if you are medium or larger.

The Elise is fun and novel, but that will wear off if you drive it everyday.

The M3 e46 IS TONS MORE VERSATILE. Build quality is superior. I had a modded E46 and still miss it. I had speed, stability, comfort, everything that makes a car very good.

You should go drive the Lotus for a week and see if you can deal with all that it comes with.

As a side note, I spoke with the Lotus techs here, and he was not impressed due to the new cars that were coming in for warranty work.

I dont know how old you are or how big you are, but if this is a driver, ingress and egress will be a chore if you are medium or larger.

The Elise is fun and novel, but that will wear off if you drive it everyday.

The M3 e46 IS TONS MORE VERSATILE. Build quality is superior. I had a modded E46 and still miss it. I had speed, stability, comfort, everything that makes a car very good.

You should go drive the Lotus for a week and see if you can deal with all that it comes with.

As a side note, I spoke with the Lotus techs here, and he was not impressed due to the new cars that were coming in for warranty work.

Oh, ok I will see if I can get it to test drive for a couple of days.

And I am 5'9-140 pounds!!!

Thanks I will keep thinking about it, and check out some new rims.

Oh, ok I will see if I can get it to test drive for a couple of days.

And I am 5'9-140 pounds!!!

Thanks I will keep thinking about it, and check out some new rims.

What about???

http://tinyurl.com/282f92

:eusa_wall:

Lol whats wrong, its newer, low milages, 400 HP, 4.5 0-60, under warranty, decent interior, drove well.. Whats wrong with this :-)

Lol whats wrong, its newer, low milages, 400 HP, 4.5 0-60, under warranty, decent interior, drove well.. Whats wrong with this :-)

I guess if you like it get it. I also had this exact car, but a coupe. You will be the envy of every gilf out there. They might be faster than your M3, but the whole package is nothing in comparison. I am just one guy, with one opinion. In the ned, you answer to you. Buy what you find is good for you.

I guess if you like it get it. I also had this exact car, but a coupe. You will be the envy of every gilf out there. They might be faster than your M3, but the whole package is nothing in comparison. I am just one guy, with one opinion. In the ned, you answer to you. Buy what you find is good for you.

I know I know, just trying to figure out how the M3 is a better package and the reliability of the POS.

Lol and also why only grandmothers :-)

I know I know, just trying to figure out how the M3 is a better package and the reliability of the POS.

Lol and also why only grandmothers :-)

Your assignment tomorrow is to see who is driving C.orvettes tomorrow. You will find, for the most part, they are grumpy old men.

I can tell you a first year C.orvette is no more reliable than your car. Yes, there is a warranty,but that doesnt last forever either. Go to the C.orvette Forum and find the pros and cons to this car.

I had mine for a year, and I put 1800 miles on it. Thats how much I liked it.

Your assignment tomorrow is to see who is driving C.orvettes tomorrow. You will find, for the most part, they are grumpy old men.

I can tell you a first year C.orvette is no more reliable than your car. Yes, there is a warranty,but that doesnt last forever either. Go to the C.orvette Forum and find the pros and cons to this car.

I had mine for a year, and I put 1800 miles on it. Thats how much I liked it.

Haha, I am one for breaking sterotypes :-) Hell according to my sterotype I should be driving a camaro not an E46 M3. I will go check out the forums, and see the pros and cons I hadn't thought about that, I came here because I figured it would be bit less bias.

Haha, I am one for breaking sterotypes :-) Hell according to my sterotype I should be driving a camaro not an E46 M3. I will go check out the forums, and see the pros and cons I hadn't thought about that, I came here because I figured it would be bit less bias.

Im going to make it easy for you:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/

Its the one I did belong to before I sold mine.