driveshaft bellows

debriga

Hi,

This is my first post here, along with my first Countach. It's an "87" black QV. I've been doing some minor maintenance on items that needed some attention, and now need some advice on where to get a few needed parts. The protective bellows on both driveshafts are rotted out and need to be replaced. The shafts do not seem to have any play in the joints, so I am looking for all 4 bellows. Are replacements available that can be installed without removing the half-shafts? Does anybody know of any US bellow replacement kits that might fit this?

Also, does anybody have a source for recharging the gas struts for the hood/trunk/engine cover? I've tried crossing them with available aftermarket pieces, but they are a little different length than original. Also need to know the pressure required to hold the trunk (with wing) open.

Finally, is there any type of manual available concerning the engine/drivetrain with detailed specs for cam/timing adjusts, rebuilding clearances and specs, etc.?

Thanks for your help, I have already learned a lot reading the old posts.

Be well,

De'Briga

Hi,

This is my first post here, along with my first Countach. It's an "87" black QV. I've been doing some minor maintenance on items that needed some attention, and now need some advice on where to get a few needed parts. The protective bellows on both driveshafts are rotted out and need to be replaced. The shafts do not seem to have any play in the joints, so I am looking for all 4 bellows. Are replacements available that can be installed without removing the half-shafts? Does anybody know of any US bellow replacement kits that might fit this?

Also, does anybody have a source for recharging the gas struts for the hood/trunk/engine cover? I've tried crossing them with available aftermarket pieces, but they are a little different length than original. Also need to know the pressure required to hold the trunk (with wing) open.

Finally, is there any type of manual available concerning the engine/drivetrain with detailed specs for cam/timing adjusts, rebuilding clearances and specs, etc.?

Thanks for your help, I have already learned a lot reading the old posts.

Be well,

De'Briga

Greetings from Canada.

Given that you are on the other side of the pond I would recommend Eurospare.co.uk. They have a fairly extensive listing of parts. please check with our franchised lamborghini dealer sponsors is another source in the USA. Chad Bolles is another good source of parts.

Don't forget to try your local dealer network. While some dealers don't seem to care to find the parts for older cars, there are still a few "old school" parts people out there who are willing to do the extra work to find you the parts.

The bellows that you are talking about may also be called cv boots (constant velocity joint boots).

I have had my rear trunk w/wing and rear engine cover (F.I.) fabricated by a company called L.S. Technologies from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.They will custom manufacture new struts to your specifications. They are good people, the service is incredible and they may still have my specifications on file. Also, Romandad another member from this board has used them and was pleased with the results.

Shipping may be a factor in your case however.

With respect to repair manuals, to the best of my knowledge, there is no official repair manual available for the Q.V. Most people seem to have used a combination of the 5000s and the anniversary manual.

Good luck.

Post some pics of the car.

HLA12097

Hello HLA12097,

Thanks for your input!! I have HLA12071, so it would seem our cars are very similiar. As far as being from "across the pond", I would assume you thought that from my usage of the term "bellows" in my post. Used that on purpose as most everyone would understand what it meant, both here and abroad.

I live in the "original" Vancouver, which is in Washington State, across the Columbia River from Portland, Oregon (Fort Vancouver to be exact). I grew up less than 60 miles from our common border and probably spent as much time whithin the great nation of Canada as I did whithin my own country's borders! Spent winters skiing at Rossland, outside of Trail, BC. Spent many a summer roaming the National Parks at Banf, Jasper, etc. marveling at the raw beauty of your country. Fished and enjoyed many a time at Penticten, Kamloops, and Lake Christina. I think I should be recognized as least 1/2 Canadian, since half my youth was spent whithin your hospitality, 1/2 half of what I am has been influenced by the wonderful people I met across our border. People I learned to love and respect with all my heart as a result of their honesty and genuine caring. I always tried to give as much back as I received, but that is a tall order to achieve considering the warmness of most Canadians hearts. I am officially a USA citizen, yet I feel as much Canadian as anyone whithin your country as most of us border residents learned to love one another, not just a country.

I would like to ask you if L.S. Technologies can rebuild the originals? Even if they can't, I would be interested in their functional products for a replacement unit until I can restore the originals. Would you have a phone number for them.

If I can my car together reliably for a road trip, would you be game for a drive to meet halfway and enjoy a good meal in the prescence of another Lambo junkie? I would assume that Lethbridge or Medicine Hat would be about half way for both of us. Perhaps others might also wish to join up. Beautiful country, beautiful people, beautiful automobiles, what more could one ask for?

I'll try and include a few pics, but I have only had the car less than a month. Been taking care of problems rather than taking pics.

Till Later,

HLA12071

Black on Black

De'Briga

Can someone inform me as to how to attach a photo to a message on this site? I keep trying, yet it all seems to vanish into limbo. How does one attach a photo or document and have it viewable to another? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

No such thing as a "Quick Boot" for the Countach. You need to remove the 1/2 shafts and clean/re grease them

anyway. If the boot has had any broken places in it for any time, you can bet there is dirt in there.

I can supply the boots.

There is suppose to be someone in Canada who can charge the struts, I will try to find the number for you.

The owners hand book has all the tech specs on the engine in it. If you do not have one, I can supply one to you. Other than that there IS NO MANUAL. Do not be fooled into thinking there is one. People will try to sell you something telling you it is a manual, BUT THERE IS NO SUCH THING

I have been dealing in Countach parts for over 25 years and have quite a stock of them.

Also a side note, if you need front tyres, the Pirelli 225 x 50 x 15, forget it. I received a call from Pirelli the other day. They said they were NOT going to make the 225 x 50 x 15 any longer. They also will not make the 205 x 50 x15 any longer either. If you need rear tyres, I have 2 sets left. These will most likely not be made for at least another year and most likely not for 2 years.

Chadbourn Bolles

803 532 ****

Leesville, SC 29070

Greetings again. Sorry about the confusion.

I was in Oliver (near Penticton) just last week. We also made a trip down to Everett, Washington on a day trip.

The wife and girls went shopping at the Alderwood Mall and I went to visit a former sponsor of this board. I had a chance to talk to the man himself and also got to sit in the Diablo SVR. ( I still have an ear to ear grin over the opportunity.)

We traveled down from Osoyoos to Seattle and then back on I-90 through Spokane and Coeur D'alene. There is a lot of beautiful scenery and very nice roads.

Further to your question about LS Technologies, you can reach them at (306)-683-5000. Also, check out their website at www.lstechnologies.ca. The fellow I dealt with was Stephen Fenner. I dropped my struts of at noon on Saturday and he had a new set fabricated for me by noon Sunday.

If you get a chance, drop an E-mail to Glen Kohut at the International Lamborghini Registry.([email protected]). If you send him a picture of your car, he will post it along with any relevant information that you would like listed. He's a great guy and lives about 10 minutes from me. As an alternate, drop me a pm and I will pass the information on to him.

Regarding meeting in Lethbridge or Medicine Hat, that sounds like a possibility. Also, if you would consider Calgary, there is a fairly large Lambo community there.

Take care.

Good luck with your parts search.

Darren

Chad,

I have heard your name many times in various Countach posts and have realized you have a wealth of parts and knowledge to share. Concerning the 1/2 shafts, they are quite pristine regarding wear and contamination. It is only the boots that have rotted beyond repair. I will still remove them, clean and lubricate them, and put them back in. I just need the cv boots (bellows) to accomplish this. Can you supply me with them and an estimate of the price?

Concerning the QV engine specs, somewhere along the product line there has to be a detailed blueprint/clearance set of specs in order to rebuild one of these engines. There is no way a factory can produce an engine for sale in one of it's vehicles that has sold for over eight years without providing a detailed rebuilding guide for it's dealers or others.

One blows an engine due to winding it too hard and too high. Their is no way to repair it other than sending it back to Italy. Ummmmm, I really don't believe this is the only way to repair it. But to do repairs, one needs the design clearances in order to reconditon the various components. It is hard for me to believe that after 20 plus years, the clearances are still locked in an underground vault in Rome next to all the old Roman secret burial archives.

The factory had training materials for it's dealers and maintenance personel. It supplied them with all the pertinent information they might need to maintain and repair these vehicles. Where is all this information that most now assume never was? No manufacturer could ever supply a product for as long as the lifespan of the Countach was without ever producing detailed mechanical information. The dealers have all received it, where has it gone from there?

If you can supply me with the 1/2 shaft boots (bellows) I would be most appreciative. Perhaps a price might also be beneficial. Also, let me know what info you have available for the QV engine.

Thank you for your time

De"Briga

No such thing as a "Quick Boot" for the Countach. You need to remove the 1/2 shafts and clean/re grease them

anyway. If the boot has had any broken places in it for any time, you can bet there is dirt in there.

I can supply the boots.

There is suppose to be someone in Canada who can charge the struts, I will try to find the number for you.

The owners hand book has all the tech specs on the engine in it. If you do not have one, I can supply one to you. Other than that there IS NO MANUAL. Do not be fooled into thinking there is one. People will try to sell you something telling you it is a manual, BUT THERE IS NO SUCH THING

I have been dealing in Countach parts for over 25 years and have quite a stock of them.

Also a side note, if you need front tyres, the Pirelli 225 x 50 x 15, forget it. I received a call from Pirelli the other day. They said they were NOT going to make the 225 x 50 x 15 any longer. They also will not make the 205 x 50 x15 any longer either. If you need rear tyres, I have 2 sets left. These will most likely not be made for at least another year and most likely not for 2 years.

Chadbourn Bolles

803 532 ****

Leesville, SC 29070

Hi Darren,

I know Oliver, and have camped at Penticton many times. My little sister used to bring back the local tykes to our camp for a rousing fun time for all. She was just like a little international good will ambasador. Unfortunately, MS took her from us all.

Jeez, I wish I had known you were in Everett!! I worked there for about 5 years and could have shown you a lot of neat places to enjoy. Not to mention all the really great ferry rides out into the San Juan Islands and up to Point Roberts on the southern most point of Canada! There is not a more beautiful ride than this ferry trip between our two great countries.

Your ride up I-90 through Spokane and Cour d'alene came so close to my old stomping grounds as a youth. I grew up in Colville, Wa which is about 68 miles north of Spokane. Just wish I knew you were coming through, would have been nice to meet a fellow enthusiast. I'm nearing retirement and thinking about moving back into the Colville/Spokane/Cour d'alane area.

Meet in Calgary? That's like asking if I like sweets! I have always loved that area and still seek an exscuse to go back there! Especially if there is a stray Lambo or two to gawk at. I know that isn't as intense as being able to sit in an Diablo SVR (can you feel my jealousy going wild?) and I will perhaps feel a need to hate you into eternity, but out of the goodness of my heart I will still embrace you and your loved one. (Still trying to downplay my SVR jealousy and maintain a cool and collected demeanor). OK, I just can't do it anymore!!! Why did you get to sit in it and not me???????

Thanks for the phone number and contact for LS Technologies. I'll try and get ahold of them this week. Sounds like you got some really good customer service. This is the type of outfit I like to do business with. Thanks for giving me a lead with Stephen Fenners name.

I'll give Glen Kohut a jingle as soon as I get a few good pictures to pass along. My car is listed in the registry, but I don't know if it is the first, second, third, or whatever owner. Can't seem to find a history on it!

Thanks for all your help Darren

Wishing you all the best in life,

De"Briga

Dennis

Greetings again. Sorry about the confusion.

I was in Oliver (near Penticton) just last week. We also made a trip down to Everett, Washington on a day trip.

The wife and girls went shopping at the Alderwood Mall and I went to visit a former sponsor of this board. I had a chance to talk to the man himself and also got to sit in the Diablo SVR. ( I still have an ear to ear grin over the opportunity.)

We traveled down from Osoyoos to Seattle and then back on I-90 through Spokane and Coeur D'alene. There is a lot of beautiful scenery and very nice roads.

Further to your question about LS Technologies, you can reach them at (306)-683-5000. Also, check out their website at www.lstechnologies.ca. The fellow I dealt with was Stephen Fenner. I dropped my struts of at noon on Saturday and he had a new set fabricated for me by noon Sunday.

If you get a chance, drop an E-mail to Glen Kohut at the International Lamborghini Registry.([email protected]). If you send him a picture of your car, he will post it along with any relevant information that you would like listed. He's a great guy and lives about 10 minutes from me. As an alternate, drop me a pm and I will pass the information on to him.

Regarding meeting in Lethbridge or Medicine Hat, that sounds like a possibility. Also, if you would consider Calgary, there is a fairly large Lambo community there.

Take care.

Good luck with your parts search.

Darren

another source for strut rebuilds & buys...STRUTWISE in Surrey BC Canada. 604 589 1200 or www.strutwise.com

I am in Vancouver BC with a 1984 5000S. Planning on going to the Seattle Concours on Sept. 2 any chance your thinking of heading up?? Also another Lambo guy here in town (1991 Diablo) found the best deal on CV boots was at Lambo Orange County. He said the same boot fits both types of cars (D. & CT)

cheers Jeff

another source for strut rebuilds & buys...STRUTWISE in Surrey BC Canada. 604 589 1200 or www.strutwise.com

I am in Vancouver BC with a 1984 5000S. Planning on going to the Seattle Concours on Sept. 2 any chance your thinking of heading up?? Also another Lambo guy here in town (1991 Diablo) found the best deal on CV boots was at Lambo Orange County. He said the same boot fits both types of cars (D. & CT)

cheers Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info!!! I would be more than game for the concours if it was just at another date. I will probably be a little under the weather at that time due to some scheduled maintenance treatments for some pesky little cancer bugs. It doesn't have to be a concours to get me out, I can fall for most any excuse to aim the CT somewhere.

Thanks again!!!

De'Briga

Dennis

Axle boots/cv boots:

They are the same as early 930 turbo's use. OOOOP's was that a secret?

You can buy them almost anywhere for about $9 each.

Also, if your shields are missing? Driving the car with the inner boots bad could cause a grease fire when slung directly onto your headers.

Ralph

Like someone else said, the boot fit the "P" car the 930 and some BMW cars.

The Countach car likes to be maintained, and you will not go wrong taking the extra time to do this job.

Another thing, while you are at it. REMOVE EVERY GROUND WIRE, then CLEAN THE ENDS AND WHERE THEY MOUNT. This car is 17 to 23 years old and the grounds go away. When this happens the car starts to do strange things and things quit working.

Another thing, the brakes are right off of a 5, 6 or 7 series BMW 1976 to 1982 or somewhere like that. THEY ARE THE FRONT BRAKES NOT THE REAR. The pads you can buy just about anywhere, $9.00 to around $30.00 a set, FRONT ONLY, AND THEY FIT BOTH ENDS OF THE CAR.

I have heard your name many times in various Countach posts and have realized you have a wealth of parts and knowledge to share. Concerning the 1/2 shafts, they are quite pristine regarding wear and contamination. It is only the boots that have rotted beyond repair. I will still remove them, clean and lubricate them, and put them back in. I just need the cv boots (bellows) to accomplish this. Can you supply me with them and an estimate of the price?

Concerning the QV engine specs, somewhere along the product line there has to be a detailed blueprint/clearance set of specs in order to rebuild one of these engines. There is no way a factory can produce an engine for sale in one of it's vehicles that has sold for over eight years without providing a detailed rebuilding guide for it's dealers or others.

i REALLY HATE to tell you this, BUT for sure there is NO workshop manual for the Countach. The engine in the Countach for the most part is the same specs as the 400, Espada, Jarama engines.

I do have the specs for the QV engines should you ever need them.

Another VERY IMPORTANT THING. Change your oil every 3000 miles. The filter fits a V12 Jag, I will get you some part numbers for them. The oil system in your car and all 5000 and 5000 QV cars ain't up to snuff.. Lambo changed the system in the 5000 and 5000 QV engines, WHY, who the heck knows, but they did.. It has caused some problems in some engines. If it were so good, then why, with the last of the 25th cars did they change it back to the same system used in the LP400 and earlier engines?

If you can supply me with the 1/2 shaft boots (bellows) I would be most appreciative. Perhaps a price might also be beneficial. Also, let me know what info you have available for the QV engine.

ALSO, I am on a total dial up internet service for now, and it SUCKS, so if I do not get right back to you, it is because of that.

You can call if you need to 803 532 ****

Kind Regards

Chadbourn Bolles

803 532 ****

Thank you for your time

De"Briga