Smart available now

matthend

I seem to remember someone on here telling about a smart car available now here in the US. I think it was about 30k after federalization etc. I searched, but came up empty. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Actually the smart cars available NOW are highly overpriced grey market cars. The newly updated, officially imported, fully US legal versions with a real dealer network and warranty will be available after the first of the year.

The link King-640 posted above is the link to the new, officially imported version. If you want one, wait a few months and get one of those.

Why pay $25k+ now for a 2 year old grey market car that will take a huge hit in value next year when you can buy a new officially imported one for $10k less.

If you absolutely must have the old version now, here are a couple...

http://www.diamondlot.com/cgi/info.exe?bc=...dealer=GREENCAR

http://www.diamondlot.com/cgi/info.exe?bc=...dealer=GREENCAR

My friend has one. Its imported, titled and registered. I was just driving around in it the whole day today, and I have never experienced more attention driving a car, and I have driven various Lamborghinis and Ferraris. Every single person on the road looks at it, people wave, ask questions to the point where it gets kind of annoying.

The car I was driving is a roadster and he did pay about 30K for it. After the official Smart cars come in and the streets get flooded with them it won't be anything special anymore. I've also heard that Mitsubishi is the one actually making the smart car for the US market, when the one my friend has is made by mercedes, and also the US version one is going to be something like 2 inches wider and 4 inches longer than the mercedes ones.

PM me if you'd like contact info regarding getting one now.

IMG_9856.jpg

I want to see that thing after it gets hit by a kia. I think a mini cooper S would be a better option.

Almost every other person said the same thing. Its got airbags and some kind of strong frame. i think they did a test on one of those UK car shows and the car held off just fine after a really bad staged crash. Its very roomy and fun to drive. Like I said they're special and head turners now. As soon as they become available to everybody it will be just like another Scion. Nobody will look at them anymore.

I've also heard that Mitsubishi is the one actually making the smart car for the US market, when the one my friend has is made by mercedes, and also the US version one is going to be something like 2 inches wider and 4 inches longer than the mercedes ones.

PM me if you'd like contact info regarding getting one now.

Not exactly... Mitsubishi makes the ENGINES in the all new smart car, but the cars are NOT built by Mitsubishi! The US version is the all NEW redesigned smart car that looks the same as the all NEW redesigned European version. Yes, the new ones (in both Europe AND in the US) are SLIGHTLY larger, but not enough that anyone would notice. They go on sale in January at a base price of just under $12,000.

As for their safety, they're a hell of a lot stronger than they look!

Not exactly... Mitsubishi makes the ENGINES in the all new smart car, but the cars are NOT built by Mitsubishi! The US version is the all NEW redesigned smart car that looks the same as the all NEW redesigned European version. Yes, the new ones (in both Europe AND in the US) are SLIGHTLY larger, but not enough that anyone would notice. They go on sale in January at a base price of just under $12,000.

As for their safety, they're a hell of a lot stronger than they look!

Didn't they postpone the launch date a couple of times already?

Whatever it is, its a blast to drive around in one. Good luck with the decision whatever you chose to do.

I want to see that thing after it gets hit by a kia. I think a mini cooper S would be a better option.

Mini is a GAS GUZZLER!

Didn't they postpone the launch date a couple of times already?

Whatever it is, its a blast to drive around in one. Good luck with the decision whatever you chose to do.

Well, there have been a few false starts in years past, but now that it's officially um, official, and Penske is involved as the distributor I think everything is pretty well set. And according to the local dealer here (who currently has a new showroom for them under construction) they WILL be available for sale in January (they said they'll have some demos in late October/November)... I guess we'll see, but that's been the story all year.

A few days ago I drove by our local Benz dealer and they had a truck full of those things showing to people, like an open house would be to real estate. They also had a chassis there, completely stripped, just to show it off I guess.

I thought to myself, we'll see how "SMART" someone feels buying one of those things after they go head to head with a Buick Park Ave at 40mph.

These cars shouldn't be here IMO, they're way to small and won't fare well in real world crash tests against our bigger tank cars like old boxy Chevy's etc.

I could be wrong, in fact, I hope I am and they can make those things safe enough for our market.

These cars shouldn't be here IMO, they're way to small and won't fare well in real world crash tests against our bigger tank cars like old boxy Chevy's etc.

I could be wrong, in fact, I hope I am and they can make those things safe enough for our market.

Come on, with that kind of thinking you better ban the Mini too, and of course you'll have to get rid of all the motorcycles! :P

Once again, they're a LOT safer/stronger than they look... In fact they ARE indeed "safe enough for our market", they have passed all of the applicable crash tests.

Wow, I hope they aren't $30K+. At most, I'd love to find at least a standard model for like $5-10k and superior model for like $!5K-$18k after taxes at most. I thought the purpose was for cost-saving and trendy metro and local suburban travel alternative. At $30K, it seems more of just a "fashion" item imho.

If it's more than like $15K I might as well stick to the Segway, bike, and scooter.

Eh, I'll wait till the value drops as they become popular and more frequent on local streets. (That is, if they don't limit production and sales as to keep the value high).

I don't get it, who wants a car the size of a damn moped and a engine the size of beer bottle? I see them everywhere over here and they are so ugly and so puny I still laugh everytime...

Wow, I hope they aren't $30K+. At most, I'd love to find at least a standard model for like $5-10k and superior model for like $!5K-$18k after taxes at most. I thought the purpose was for cost-saving and trendy metro and local suburban travel alternative. At $30K, it seems more of just a "fashion" item imho.

The GREY MARKET ones were $25-30k... The officially imported ones that will be available in January will NOT be anywhere near that much. They will be priced at $12k for the base model, $14k for the "better" model, and $17k for the cabrio.

I don't get it, who wants a car the size of a damn moped and a engine the size of beer bottle? I see them everywhere over here and they are so ugly and so puny I still laugh everytime...

Thats exactly the opinion that everyone will have in the US too as soon as they become popular.

I have seen 2 different ones in Chicago suburbs, Crest Hill and Romeoville. Bright yellow and red, lol. Definitely stands out in traffic.