BYPASSING PRE-CATS

VIVEK

I'm having trouble locating a set of test pipes to bypass the front catalytic converters on my '98 SV. Does anyone know where I can get a pair? SP Engineering doesn't have any and apparently Tubi doesn't manufacture any as well. I also need 02 simulators--harder to find than you think! Thanks,

Vivek

I'm having trouble locating a set of test pipes to bypass the front catalytic converters on my '98 SV. Does anyone know where I can get a pair? SP Engineering doesn't have any and apparently Tubi doesn't manufacture any as well. I also need 02 simulators--harder to find than you think! Thanks,

Vivek

FYI: If you register you car in Travis County (aka Austin Tx) you will have to go through emissions testing...as long as OBD II says all is good then you will be fine.

I thought Quick Silver made test pipes. Check with George or Tim at Evans (Quick Silver Dist. for USA) http://www.evansauto.com/

-J

The term "test pipe" is just a fancy name for a small chunk of pipe that is the same length and has the same flanges as the cat it is replacing. The diameter of the pipe is the same as the rest of the exhaust in that section.

What I am trying to say is that ANY muffler shop can build them for next to nothing providing that have the correct flanges in stock. There is no "voodoo" with making cat replacement pipes.

Summit racing has a good selction of O2 simulators. www.summitracing.com

What I am trying to say is that ANY muffler shop can build them for next to nothing providing that have the correct flanges in stock. There is no "voodoo" with making cat replacement pipes.

True enough but, most muffler shops do NOT have the proper lifts to accomodate a Diablo!

Not to mention I would not some muffler shop taking parts off the Diablo (especially the motor/exhaust!) to get measurements much less actually 'attempt' to install said pipes.

That's not a job I would let a muffler shop do and I bet many would not want to touch the car.

That alone makes it worthwhile to me to purchase prefabricated pipes that are ready to install, even if they are 5x more expensive, piece of mind you know.

Now, if you have the exact measurements and flange sizes and just ask them to make it, ok, but that's it, I would never allow them to work on the car.

Yes, it's "just a car" but a very expensive one to repair when mistakes are made, makes those prefab pieces are that much more attractive.

-J

You could take the cats off yourself and have the muffler shop use them as a template.

There are some specialty exhaust shops that are no strangers to exotic or hand built cars. I have used www.stainless-specialties.com before for custom headers. Not your typical greasy muffler shop.

I just have a tough time overpaying for something that I know exactly how much time, effort, workmanship, and materials it took to do/make something. Kind of like paying $300 for an oil change.

Just my $.02

I ordered the QS pipes today--they should be here tomorrow and hopefully installed by the middle of next week. I'm still looking for the 02 simulators....Summit Racing says they no longer carry them--I'm hearing the same story from others as well. Apparently nobody carries them after 8/06 after the government supposedly cracked down on the sales?! I have a 'guy' that says he can get around them anyway....any other ideas? I'll post my pre and post impressions next week!

I ordered the QS pipes today--they should be here tomorrow and hopefully installed by the middle of next week. I'm still looking for the 02 simulators....Summit Racing says they no longer carry them--I'm hearing the same story from others as well. Apparently nobody carries them after 8/06 after the government supposedly cracked down on the sales?! I have a 'guy' that says he can get around them anyway....any other ideas? I'll post my pre and post impressions next week!

Have you tried these guys? www.o2simulator.com

I took out all the cats on my 6.0, but when I purchased the bypass pipes, they only sent me 1 O2 simulator. Almost two years later when I decided to put the pipes on, I realized there was only one simulator and then found out that NO ONE MAKES THEM ANYMORE!

So what did you end up paying for the whole entire system?

And the O2 simulators?

No, still working on that part. The sensors are obviously not expensive, just hard to find. I've received some potential ideas on how to make the system work as it is--if I don't throw a check engine light this week, I'll let you know what we did (still kind of up in the air).

No, still working on that part. The sensors are obviously not expensive, just hard to find. I've received some potential ideas on how to make the system work as it is--if I don't throw a check engine light this week, I'll let you know what we did (still kind of up in the air).

My car keeps throwing check engine lights and intermittently running poorly. I need O2 SIMULATORS!

We're using something called 02 sensor "tube extenders"...not quite sure how they work---but I'll let you know if they do!

Keep us posted on what transpires & wether or not you was able to keep the check engine light off.

I'm looking to do this mod myself

• 2 weeks later...
Keep us posted on what transpires & wether or not you was able to keep the check engine light off.

I'm looking to do this mod myself

Well I ordered the bypass pipes from Evans (Quiksilver) and it turns out they don't fit?! No reasonable explanation from Evans or Quiksilver--simply they don't fit. So I'm now trying to get a hold of the SP pipes...I'll keep you guys posted.

Well I ordered the bypass pipes from Evans (Quiksilver) and it turns out they don't fit?! No reasonable explanation from Evans or Quiksilver--simply they don't fit. So I'm now trying to get a hold of the SP pipes...I'll keep you guys posted.

I have the SP pipes, they are the $HIT! But the real problem is the 02 simulators!

Perhaps those pipes are for the secondary cats?

-J

Perhaps those pipes are for the secondary cats?

-J

Maybe. My tubi muffler got rid of the secondary cats and the SP pipes got rid of the primary cats.

Maybe. My tubi muffler got rid of the secondary cats and the SP pipes got rid of the primary cats.

shootin any flames??

I got the Tubi system on now, maybe the SP pipes are in order :)

Are these front or rear bypass pipes that don't fit?

Are these front or rear bypass pipes that don't fit?

The bypass pipes for the pre-cats do not fit....they are close and you can tell they are designed to bypass the pre-cats (clearly not for the rear cats if you look at them) but the diameter is just a little off so there's is no way to make them fit--I'll post a picture later today to better illustrate! They are currently on their way back to Evans for a refund--for the record Evans and Quiksilver can not offer any other options--they simply state that they don't know why they don't fit and they were obviously willing to take them back. Has anyone installed Quiksilver bypass pipes that actually fit?

I had to do some extensive cutting and re-welding to my Quicksilver system when I received it.

Same thing here... they had the right idea but the angles were off.

I didn't make any noise about it because I figured that all Diablo exhausts were custom fitted.

I made this assumption because of the rumor I heard about not being able to purchase an MS system from SP without having it installed.

I didn't make any noise about it because I figured that all Diablo exhausts were custom fitted.

I made this assumption because of the rumor I heard about not being able to purchase an MS system from SP without having it installed.

Wrong. I've never had to modify exhaust parts to work on my cars. The SP parts that I purchased fit perfectly. Anyone that sells you exhaust parts that are supposed to bolt up yet require welding and cutting should give you your money back!