1/2 power on start up

IlToro

98 SV. On start up, one bank not firing. I have only a dribble of fuel at the input rail. Both fuel pumps are working. The only other item before the rail is a large filter/solenoid combo. Very difficult to get to for trouble shooting. On top of the fuel tank, underneath the cooling expansion tank. At first I thought blocked fuel filter, but am having second thoughts.

I'd heard that the security system is capable of shutting off one side of the engine, but cannot find any device that would do this.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

The security system can shut off both banks by cutting off the fuel, I think the valves are right after the filters.

Have you tried arming and disarming the security system with the key fob? Maybe disconnect the battery to force a whole system reset (not just the on/off in the passenger compartment)

Sometimes those security devices (connected to the fuel system) go bad...I recommend you call Harold at 407 339 3443 (Service Mgr @ Lambo Orlando), he knows this system very well. The "device" are the two "brass blocks" you see.

Tip: If is the security system (MED 2000) shutting you down, be sure to replace it and not 'bypass it' as this can be a source of potential fuel leakage/fire (people sometimes opt to forego replacing this solenoid because of the expense and just cut it out and put clamps on the fuel lines..this happens to be the source of some Diablo fires, bypassing the security system)

Before 98 the security system just locked/unlocked the car but beginning in 98 it also shuts down the fuel system to prevent the car from being driven under its own power. And the security system uses a 'sophisicated' rolling codes set up so the arm/disarm codes change each time it is used...that's why it's more expensive to replace because you also have to get a new security card (for the computer).

Let us know what you find.

-J

Have you tried arming and disarming the security system with the key fob? Maybe disconnect the battery to force a whole system reset (not just the on/off in the passenger compartment)

Sometimes those security devices (connected to the fuel system) go bad...I recommend you call Harold at 407 339 3443 (Service Mgr @ Lambo Orlando), he knows this system very well. The "device" are the two "brass blocks" you see.

Tip: If is the security system (MED 2000) shutting you down, be sure to replace it and not 'bypass it' as this can be a source of potential fuel leakage/fire (people sometimes opt to forego replacing this solenoid because of the expense and just cut it out and put clamps on the fuel lines..this happens to be the source of some Diablo fires, bypassing the security system)

Before 98 the security system just locked/unlocked the car but beginning in 98 it also shuts down the fuel system to prevent the car from being driven under its own power. And the security system uses a 'sophisicated' rolling codes set up so the arm/disarm codes change each time it is used...that's why it's more expensive to replace because you also have to get a new security card (for the computer).

Let us know what you find.

-J

Thanks, I will call as you suggested. I can understand why people want to disarm it, no way is someone going to have the opportunity to steal most Diablo's. Just more computer crap I can do without. :(.

Thanks, I will call as you suggested. I can understand why people want to disarm it, no way is someone going to have the opportunity to steal most Diablo's. Just more computer crap I can do without. :(.

Please let us know what you find out.

By the way, I never use the key fob, I just lock/unlock with the key in the door...so, in theory, my security system is never engaged so it should never fail...we'll see

but that's not why I don't use the fob, I just don't see any point in it, the only Diablos I have ever heard of being 'stolen' were joyridden by a mechanic (so using the fob has no use in those cases)

-J

Please let us know what you find out.

By the way, I never use the key fob, I just lock/unlock with the key in the door...so, in theory, my security system is never engaged so it should never fail...we'll see

but that's not why I don't use the fob, I just don't see any point in it, the only Diablos I have ever heard of being 'stolen' were joyridden by a mechanic (so using the fob has no use in those cases)

-J

Whats your address :eek3dance:

If your sure both pumps are indeed running I would agree something amiss in the fuel shut off valves.

• 2 weeks later...

I did find out it was a security system issue. "Immobilizer" solenoid valves are connected between the fuel pumps and input rail. They commonly get stuck closed. These worthless things were removed and the fuel lines connected to the filter only. I soldered 2 watt resistors, 100 - 600 ohm is fine, to the cut wires to simulate the solenoid coil, and to keep the computer happy, ie. No check engine lights.

Apparently a gray key FOB as opposed to a black one signals you have this system, and I feel sorry for you if you attempt to fix it yourself, next time I'll try something easy like pulling the motor!

Thanks to Steve, at Driven Exotics for steering me in the right direction.

post-10170-1194483476_thumb.jpg

I have talked to Steve a few times and bought some tires and rims off of him. He is a great guy to deal with. He really trys to help you out if he can. I will deal with him again I'm sure if I need anything. It sure was great that he could help you out. :icon_thumleft: