SLR Gurus....Question about transmission

Allan-Herbie

Ok, so there is some sort of TCU upgrade available. According to what I heard, the computer does not allow for max torque in 1st and 2nd gear . The TCU upgrade allows for full torque and also quickens shift speeds. Does anyone know anything about this? Are these mods detectable by a Benz dealer?

Supposedly the TCU upgrade is good for 2/10's in the 1/4 alone.

Opinions? Info?

Its basically a flash for the trans computer. I believe you heard correct on the load limiting in 1st and 2nd gear. The flash would eliminate those load limits, but you are already blowing the tires off in 1st and 2nd, why add more torque where you don't need/want it? I believe the trans itself, in stock form, to be the weak link in the SLR powertrain. By removing the load limits I think you may find exactly where the limits are...

As for being detectable, not sure. I have seen some flashed cars that once flashed add random numbers to the part numbers of the ECU's, which is pretty big red flag. I've also seen flashed cars that the flashes weren't detectable, but they are definately flashed due to the power they are making.

Its basically a flash for the trans computer. I believe you heard correct on the load limiting in 1st and 2nd gear. The flash would eliminate those load limits, but you are already blowing the tires off in 1st and 2nd, why add more torque where you don't need/want it? I believe the trans itself, in stock form, to be the weak link in the SLR powertrain. By removing the load limits I think you may find exactly where the limits are...

As for being detectable, not sure. I have seen some flashed cars that once flashed add random numbers to the part numbers of the ECU's, which is pretty big red flag. I've also seen flashed cars that the flashes weren't detectable, but they are definately flashed due to the power they are making.

I think you are correct. I think I will just go with the ECU and pulley, and even leave the stock I/C pumps. They seem to work very well, and not be a weak link like in other AMG cars. Plus I think the biggest chance of something going wrong is with the I/C pumps and leaving them stock should be better for going undetected with the ECU/pulley upgrade.

If I remember correctly(98% sure) the IC pumps on the SLR are the same ones used on all the other AMG cars, but you have 2 instead of 1. They are activated by the ECU to turn on when certain parameters are met, other AMG guys have seen good results and lower intake temps by running them constantly. If you don't want to upgrade them to the Johnson CM30 pumps I'd at least have them wired to run whenever the key is on.

I dont think the tcu is worth it. I know that the rt tcu on the 65's raises the limit by 100-200nm but I dont think it is worth it. As for the ic pumps I agree with Jtrump to either wire them on all the time and you may even be able to do the 10c fan mod as well? You have to think with the new pulley you are adding more boost/heat so even though the pumps have worked good in the past you will have more heat now. You never know maybe with the cm30 pumps you drop you iats by 10 and that would mean more power. I think the math is for every 10 degree drop in iat you gain 10hp or something like that? I dont see you hurting your tranny as it should be good for the 840lbft like the other 5spds and I dont see the slr making that but if you just burn rubber now why make it worse?

I dont think the tcu is worth it. I know that the rt tcu on the 65's raises the limit by 100-200nm but I dont think it is worth it. As for the ic pumps I agree with Jtrump to either wire them on all the time and you may even be able to do the 10c fan mod as well? You have to think with the new pulley you are adding more boost/heat so even though the pumps have worked good in the past you will have more heat now. You never know maybe with the cm30 pumps you drop you iats by 10 and that would mean more power. I think the math is for every 10 degree drop in iat you gain 10hp or something like that? I dont see you hurting your tranny as it should be good for the 840lbft like the other 5spds and I dont see the slr making that but if you just burn rubber now why make it worse?

But will the new Johnson CM30 pumps raise an eyebrow for the dealer?

Depends on the dealer. They are a good bit smaller then the stock pumps are, but it really depends on the guy working on it and if he's cool with it or not.

Try running the stock pumps all the time if you are worried. That is easily reversible if need be. As far as the stock pumps go its not if they will fail, its when will they fail. One of the guys on here even mentioned that it happened to his car a while back.

I am sure the pumps will be less in issue then the bigger pulley. what brand are you going with? Some are easier to spot then others. It also depends how many slr's they have worked on to. As for what Jtrump said he is right its not a matter of if but of when they will go out. being in AZ I would at least keep the stockers running all the time.

To run stock pumps all the time:

There is a little black 4-pin relay at or on the firewall at the back of the motor in the center. Follow the red engine cover shit all the way back and you "should" be able to see it. Its black plastic, about 1" square. Jump pins 2 and 8 and the pumps should run constantly.

OR

To make it undetectable, pull the black cover off the relay and just bend the contacts so they are constantly touching. Snap the cover back on the relay and stick it back in. Voila....

There is a little black 4-pin relay at or on the firewall at the back of the motor in the center. Follow the red engine cover shit all the way back and you "should" be able to see it. Its black plastic, about 1" square. Jump pins 2 and 8 and the pumps should run constantly.

OR

To make it undetectable, pull the black cover off the relay and just bend the contacts so they are constantly touching. Snap the cover back on the relay and stick it back in. Voila....

Does it help that my pumps have been replaced at the dealer already? How big of a job is it to change to the johnson pumps? Is rewiring a pain in the ass?

OR

Not bad now how do I do that on the sl65?

Does it help that my pumps have been replaced at the dealer already? How big of a job is it to change to the johnson pumps? Is rewiring a pain in the ass?

Yeah it helps. But doesn't it make sense that if they are always on instead of randomly on, it would cool better?

As for the johnson pumps...depends on how clean of an install you want. You can just cut the wires and hook it up, or you can order the proper connectors from MB and wire them to the johnson harness. Then it is a true plug and play, easily reversible setup. If they are yanking your motor to do the pulley then adding the pumps is cake.

Yeah it helps. But doesn't it make sense that if they are always on instead of randomly on, it would cool better?

As for the johnson pumps...depends on how clean of an install you want. You can just cut the wires and hook it up, or you can order the proper connectors from MB and wire them to the johnson harness. Then it is a true plug and play, easily reversible setup. If they are yanking your motor to do the pulley then adding the pumps is cake.

You wouldnt by any chance know the Part numbers for the connectors would you, and the best place to order the JOHNSON pumps? :icon_mrgreen:

You wouldnt by any chance know the Part numbers for the connectors would you, and the best place to order the JOHNSON pumps? :icon_mrgreen:

You can get the pump online. You need the CM30 pumps. Should be around $250 for 2 I think. As for the connectors... That's a tough one. Gimme a few days to see what I can dig up.

You can get the pump online. You need the CM30 pumps. Should be around $250 for 2 I think. As for the connectors... That's a tough one. Gimme a few days to see what I can dig up.
Thank you!

I have heard that even if there are mods like a pulley or an ECU etc. that they would need to show that the mod directly caused the problem to deny warranty work. Of all the modded Benzes around here I have not heard of anyone that has been denied work but I read that Absent had his selling dealer put all the Kleeman stuff on his SL65 and he has an issue he has been trying to get fixed and they red flagged his car as modded and voided his warranty. They sold him the stuff, installed it and then fucked him. Whats the warranty anyway 3 or 4 years?

I have heard that even if there are mods like a pulley or an ECU etc. that they would need to show that the mod directly caused the problem to deny warranty work. Of all the modded Benzes around here I have not heard of anyone that has been denied work but I read that Absent had his selling dealer put all the Kleeman stuff on his SL65 and he has an issue he has been trying to get fixed and they red flagged his car as modded and voided his warranty. They sold him the stuff, installed it and then fucked him. Whats the warranty anyway 3 or 4 years?
SLR has 4 year warranty. I cant find these damn pumps anywhere online for sale?

go to ebay allan there was some on there for 50-90$ each. Just make sure you get the cm30 and not the cm90.

I put Johnson CM30 into ebay and I get nothing?

Not bad now how do I do that on the sl65?

The relay in your car is a pain in the ass to get to. Its behind the passenger seat underneath the storage box in the fuse box. I wouldn't recommend pulling everything apart unless you know how it comes apart.

I'd get your dealer to do it for you, or just wire a 12v directly to the pump in your case.

I put Johnson CM30 into ebay and I get nothing?

I will check around later today for you. I know there was one person on there that had a bunch and they were cheap and all new. I will ask aroud to see where they are getting them from if ebay is sold out. I know a local guy has some cm90's but they are just so big and some people feel as if they flow too much. Let me see what I can find allan.

I will check around later today for you. I know there was one person on there that had a bunch and they were cheap and all new. I will ask aroud to see where they are getting them from if ebay is sold out. I know a local guy has some cm90's but they are just so big and some people feel as if they flow too much. Let me see what I can find allan.

Mucho gracias, I will check more too!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102714

Jay went so far as to ad another resovoir to the system in his 600. He probably has a line on the pumps. He is on Lambopower and is the guy in the CL600 that was on Hoviks run in NY. Try him.

I'm the guy who did that for Jason. :icon_thumleft:

His car is a monster. In the next few weeks were gonna tweak it some more.