Starter Sport Bike

sprite

Some good advice above about the SV650.

I am baffled when people say "I am worried I may outgrow a 600". These bikes have 135hp and they weigh 365lbs.

Just to put that in numbers we can understand, that's equivalent to a Gallardo with 1,275hp. Now you are learning how to ride - which is way different than driving. So let's say your kid comes to you and says "dad I want to learn to be a racecar driver. I was thinking of getting this M3 to learn with, but it only has 1,275hp and I am worried I will outgrow it too quickly". What would your reaction be? You'd say "son, you will never even come close to being able to do 1/100th of what that car can do". Also, if the kid learned to race in a car like that, what kind of racer would he be? He'd probably be slow as hell in turns and just stab the gas when he was going straight. And with 1275hp, what are the chances he'd get on the gas a bit too much and wad up the car? Pretty good right?

So if you were recommending a car to learn to race, most of us would suggest things like a Miata or a Mini Cooper or maybe something like an RX-7. Why? Because they aren't overwhelmed with tons of power and the kid would have to learn how to *drive* it. An SV is a very forgiving bike. When you do something dumb (like let out of the gas if you start to slide) it will forgive you. A supersport will not. A supersport has a temper like a jilted redhead - it will bite hard and fast and on a bike that can mean broken bones or lost limbs or worse.

The other thing to consider is you really won't even know what attributes of a bike are important to you until you ride one and get some experience. You would be buying now based solely on looks. Bad idea. Then you have to remember there is a much higher chance of wrecking your bike as a beginner, so if you get your dream bike then you may spend $5k fixing it when you drop it. Maybe you'll spend your $$ on a V-Twin then ride a four and wish you got one, or vice versa. Maybe you'll try a standard and wish you never bought a sportbike? You just won't know until you have some experience. An SV650 is a really FUN bike to ride. It's good good power, handles VERY VERY well, cheap to buy and service (and fix if you drop it), cheap to insure and just a great all around bike. It's the BMW 3-series of cars... handles great, great road feel, good power if not the fastest, and good looks.

After you know how to ride and know about bikes, you may find you like sportbikes, or maybe you prefer standards, or maybe you want a sport tourer. Maybe you realize you love v-twin torque or maybe you find you love high-revving fours. Maybe you hate clip-ons and want bars, or maybe you hate the lean-forward ride position. Maybe you decide to do track days or do some distance riding. Until you know all that, you really can't figure out what bike to buy other than what looks nice.

Just my .02. yeah you can learn on a GSX-R600 or GSX-R1000 or Hayabusa. You can learn to drive in an Ariel Atom or an F1 car as well... is it going to make you a good driver or a shitty one? It's a serious game where mistakes can cost limbs (trust me, I know - my foot was severed in a motorcycle accident - luckily they were able to re-attach it but it hurts like a mofo to walk now). There's so many things you can't control in motorcycling so you need to do your best on the things you *CAN* control.

Good luck - it's so fun and so addictive once you get into it!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice thread. I want a bike more and more everyday, mainly because I won't be able to afford a fast car for a while. Plus I'm sure the thrill on a bike can hardly be compared to that on a car.

corporate666 that was great :)

Great post corporate! It's very true, most sport bike riders will NEVER ride their bike to their full potential. It will take you years of riding a 600 to be able to ride it to its full potential and many, many track days to learn to ride a 1000 to its potential. I guarantee you I can get on my 636 and out ride 80% of people I know who ride liters. Most guys who ride liter bikes just like to power wheelie. You can tell a real rider by looking at their back tire.

Anyway, I say start out on a '03-up 600 that is used. Personally, I say stay away from Yamaha, but that's just my opinion on working on them and having friends with them. If I bought a brand new Duc and dropped it, I'd cry.

I think this is the perfect bike for you! And you can even have it delivered!

l_f2d59ef7b14191892f8d1708943ab071.jpg

That is a nice bike Red, beautiful color and I love the dash on those bikes.

Another thing to keep in mind is people will say "you can kill yourself on any bike, get the one you really want now, even if it's an R1". Here's the thing - most cars have understeer, because it's safer. If you start to go a bit fast, the front end washes out, and your insinct is to always hit the brakes which puts more weight up front and slows you down, curing the problem.

On a bike, the best thing to do is almost always to hit the gas. On a bike if the front end starts to shake (headshake), you get on the gas to unload it. If the front end starts to wash out, the LAST thing you want to do is load it more, so the right thing to do is hit the gas. If the back end starts to wash out, you want to move some weight back by getting on the gas (gently). But if you are on a bike and the front end starts to slide - every single fiber of your being will tell you DONT HIT THE GAS! DONT HIT THE GAS! It is like someone swinging a bat at your head and being told NOT to put up your hands - it's so counter intuitive it's hard to resist.

So yeah on a 1000cc R1 the dynamics of the bike are the same, but that R1 will wash out a lot more severely and with a lot less advance notice than that SV will. The R1 will break that tire loose with ease if you're ham fisted with the gas. The SV has great power delivery and is nice and smooth - it will forgive you for such a bad move, the R1 will not. The SV will also give you great feedback, you will be able to feel what it's doing and will really get to know how close to the limit you are. Then when you DO get on that R1 it will have much higher limits than a standard and you can carefully explore them without making your kids orphans.

When people say "you dont have to use the power - you can just take it easy" sure you can. You can also drive a Ferrari Enzo the same way you would drive a Toyota Corolla... but will you really be enjoying that Enzo? Lets say you do... won't you be tempted to start wicking it up a bit, seeing "what she's got"??? Of course you would, anyone would. On an Enzo, maybe you kick the back end out a bit then traction control kicks in. On a bike, you do the same thing and you lowside and go sliding down the road, and hope no cars are coming.

But if you start with a Mazda Miata you learn how to be smooth. You learn what it feels like when the back end loses traction, or what it feels like when the front is about to wash out. Then when you get your high-zoot R1 or Ducati, you can actually enjoy it with some confidence and appreciate it's abilities. And rather than riding at 1/10th all the time and posing at the local starbucks, you can actually ride it at 8/10ths and have an awesome experience knowing you're still well within the safety limit. And most guys crash their new bike (or drop it). I did, most other guys did too even if it was just knocking it over in a parking lot. On a Duc - that'll be around $3-4k at the dealer, maybe more. On an SV, you shrug and say "meh" and pick it up. It may have a little nick on the bar end and peg, maybe even a scuff on the exhaust - big deal, get a new one on eBay for $30 :)

this thread is full of terrible advice

If you want to ride straight and park at starbucks, get an 848. Just be prepared to be made fun of for having 3in chicken strips. You're never going to learn how to ride starting on that.

Suzuki SV650 is the best 'starter' bike you could get. If you want to really RIDE, get the SV. The bike is forgiving and easy to ride, yet you will likely never come close to being able to ride the bike on its limit. Not to mention there are a million parts available for it. And they're still FAST

Its not about respecting the speed/power, any super sport bike is extremely unforgiving to a newbie making mistakes. Its NOT the same as a fast car.

As far as ninja 250's go, I know plenty of riders who destroy super sport riders in the mountains on a 250, let alone a 500

Absolutely, completely & 100% agreed. :icon_thumleft: I had a Ninja 250 and then I added a Duc (i.e. I also kept the 250).

And my hat's off to you Corporate666 :eusa_clap:

+1

My ninja 250 is still in my stable out of 4 bikes ;)

I don't think it could have been said any better corporate, kudos!

As far as keeping the 250, that's not a bad idea actually. There are quite a few people over at kawiforums that still use their 250s for daily commuters. I just wish Kawi would redesign the 500!

Thanks for the comment corporate, the color is what sold me on the bike...and I'm glad it did.

when you can ride like this, then you're ready to handle a SS 600/1000. I always laugh when someone says 'this is slow, thats slow'. Someone out there will flat out embarrass you with it.

You could ride an 848 for 20k miles, and would still get shown up by a tour bike weighing 2.5 times as much with less power. Riding isn't just a pickup hobby, its an art form. People that treat it like a hobby end up very hurt or dead. I'm not trying to scare you out of it sprite, but its a skill that has to be nursed very carefully.

Don't forget MSF and full gear all the time. It doesn't matter if its a 5 minute run down the street, you don't get to decide when you get in a wreck.

and great posts corporate

when you can ride like this, then you're ready to handle a SS 600/1000. I always laugh when someone says 'this is slow, thats slow'. Someone out there will flat out embarrass you with it.

LMAO!! I've never seen that one before, that is some bad ass riding!

I've always loved this one...It still amazes me why Harley riders want to ride the Gap.

GO HOME HARLEYS!!

HAHA...I love the, "Oh dude, dude....they're gonna beat our asses."

2008 R1. You can set if you want to ride in 500CC, 600CC or 1000CC

:eusa_think: I really would like to know how you can "set" a 998cc bike to run at 600cc. :eusa_think:

:eusa_think: I really would like to know how you can "set" a 998cc bike to run at 600cc. :eusa_think:

This guy was telling me with the new R1's you can the bike to run at 1000CC, 600CC and 500CC. He said only on the new 2008s. I haven't confirmed this yet.

I don't think it could have been said any better corporate, kudos!

As far as keeping the 250, that's not a bad idea actually. There are quite a few people over at kawiforums that still use their 250s for daily commuters. I just wish Kawi would redesign the 500!

Thanks for the comment corporate, the color is what sold me on the bike...and I'm glad it did.

Haha you know, 250 riders said that for TWENTY YEARS. They JUST redesigned the 250 this year :P

It's entirely possible. My buddy has this "setup" on his GSX-R 1000 I believe it was and loves it. I wouldn't call it "running at 600cc" but it basically dumbs down the power. It has 3 settings... he calls it "Go slow to keep up with derek.... go faster to make derek feel bad and too fast i'll be waiting for derek for 10 minutes." :P but he's an ass like that.

It's apparently something to do with the ECU or something like that and electronically adjusts everything. I think that bike has traction control too but I may be mistaken. But it's a switch and he just chooses which setting he wants. I think it's like "Street/race/track" settings or something the way he explained it. It seemed "retarded" in the power (not in a duh sense, i mean it seemed to come on slower) in the low setting... bit more smooth on the medium setting with more power and the top setting was no holding back just ungodly fast... Him and I did a roll on from 2nd gear and i pulled him till just a tad through 3rd gear, after that once his gears changed and mine did too his rpms climbed he walked away from me like I was sitting still... that thing was just fast.... I was going "WHOOHOO torque owns yo.... nevermind." Crazy inline 4's anyway, so deceiving! "I'm slow.... oh wait i hit 10,000 rpms, i changed my mind i'm not slow."

You could ride an 848 for 20k miles, and would still get shown up by a tour bike weighing 2.5 times as much with less power. Riding isn't just a pickup hobby, its an art form. People that treat it like a hobby end up very hurt or dead. I'm not trying to scare you out of it sprite, but its a skill that has to be nursed very carefully.

Don't forget MSF and full gear all the time. It doesn't matter if its a 5 minute run down the street, you don't get to decide when you get in a wreck.

and great posts corporate

That video is AWESOME!!!!!

Anyone saying "you will grow out of something like a 250 or an SV - may as well get an R1" - well that dude on a frickin' goldwing would walk you like a puppy! I'm pretty sure I couldn't keep up with that guy on my R1! And an SV has MUCH MUCH higher limits than a goldwing - faster and with better handling. So it just goes to show why it's important to start with a bike that gives good feedback and control. And power/control doesn't come much better than on an SV, IMO (that's why sooooo many guys use them for track bikes)

LMAO!! I've never seen that one before, that is some bad ass riding!

I've always loved this one...It still amazes me why Harley riders want to ride the Gap.

GO HOME HARLEYS!!

HAHA...I love the, "Oh dude, dude....they're gonna beat our asses."

LOL!

Its funny they were worried about the Harley guys being hardass tough guys - 99% of Hardley Abelson riders are dorks who dress up in their costumes on the weekends to play Billy Badass with their friends. They come home from their 9-5 job, then put on their outlaw skullcap, wallet-on-a-chain, "live to ride, ride to live" leather vest, chaps, shine up their Harley brand boots with signature Harley logo, put on their trademark "biker scowl" and then fire up their bike... then ride around in 2nd gear making sure to pull the clutch and rev up the bike as often as possible.

LOL

This guy was telling me with the new R1's you can the bike to run at 1000CC, 600CC and 500CC. He said only on the new 2008s. I haven't confirmed this yet.

The guy didn't know what he was talking about, and you don't either.

An R1 is the worst starter bike you can think of. And it's not just about the power, it's about the twitchiness and ease of riding the bike. An R1 will bite you quicker than a pissed off snake looking for a fight.

Or of course you can ride like a pussy - just put along at the speed limit and always slow right down whenever a turn comes up. Just be sure to go get a lot of matching-color leather and helmet because you will look SO COOL at Starbucks or the beach. Or if you're a REAL player you can ride in a tank top, shorts and flip-flops. Extra points for a cigarette hanging out your mouth as you ride.

As for the switchable settings, it's not even Yamaha - it's Suzuki that has it. I believe someone else is/was working on it too (maybe Honda or Kawi?) but I know it's a "feature" on the 08 Suzukis.

Haha you know, 250 riders said that for TWENTY YEARS. They JUST redesigned the 250 this year :P

It's entirely possible. My buddy has this "setup" on his GSX-R 1000 I believe it was and loves it. I wouldn't call it "running at 600cc" but it basically dumbs down the power. It has 3 settings... he calls it "Go slow to keep up with derek.... go faster to make derek feel bad and too fast i'll be waiting for derek for 10 minutes." :P but he's an ass like that.

I know what you're talking about but it's not as dramatic a difference as changing from a 600cc to a 1000cc. It's sort of like "Sport/Tour/Competition" mode in a Ferrari. It makes slight changes to the mapping and power delivery, but it's one of those things where most people really can't tell much of a difference. It's pretty subtle, and IMO isn't going to keep a nublet in one piece on an 08 R1.

this thread is full of terrible advice

If you want to ride straight and park at starbucks, get an 848. Just be prepared to be made fun of for having 3in chicken strips. You're never going to learn how to ride starting on that.

Suzuki SV650 is the best 'starter' bike you could get. If you want to really RIDE, get the SV. The bike is forgiving and easy to ride, yet you will likely never come close to being able to ride the bike on its limit. Not to mention there are a million parts available for it. And they're still FAST

Its not about respecting the speed/power, any super sport bike is extremely unforgiving to a newbie making mistakes. Its NOT the same as a fast car.

As far as ninja 250's go, I know plenty of riders who destroy super sport riders in the mountains on a 250, let alone a 500

This is great advise and you should take it.

I have friends that race bikes and ride SV650s on the road.

Most sport bikes are very focust and unforgiving, learn to ride on a light weight and you will run rings around the average in line four bling machine (just not in a straight line)

Russell

I know what you're talking about but it's not as dramatic a difference as changing from a 600cc to a 1000cc. It's sort of like "Sport/Tour/Competition" mode in a Ferrari. It makes slight changes to the mapping and power delivery, but it's one of those things where most people really can't tell much of a difference. It's pretty subtle, and IMO isn't going to keep a nublet in one piece on an 08 R1.

Agreed, it would still be a ton of power for a newbie.

Or of course you can ride like a pussy - just put along at the speed limit and always slow right down whenever a turn comes up.

Or you can be the ass hole who speeds, shoots in and out of traffic, and get hit by a bus.

AKA the guy that makes me want to call the cops.

I dont mind speeding, hell I do it, but speeding and wreckless driving are two completely different things imo.

Or you can be the ass hole who speeds, shoots in and out of traffic, and get hit by a bus.

AKA the guy that makes me want to call the cops.

I dont mind speeding, hell I do it, but speeding and wreckless driving are two completely different things imo.

Those guys are referred to as "squids". The guys who never ride with gear, ride recklessly, speed and do stunts in traffic, etc. The "ricers" of the sport bike world. I personally don't care for the term, I just call them idiots and refuse to ride with guys like that. If I'm riding with a group and some are new people I've never met before, I make sure to let them know I don't tolerate dumb asses who risk my life. I've had too many ass holes ride wheelies by me in the same lane, pass me in turns like a back road is a race track, and doing other stupid shit.

I was riding with a group last year or the year before last, where a guy passed me on a turn, it is a common rule to give others their space. I don't ride hard on the street, too many variables against you. Well, at the next stop sign I made sure everyone understood that I won't tolerate that stupid shit. Soon after I see douche bag behind me on my tail like its the fcuking Daytona 200. Sure enough, home boy flys by be in his tank top and shorts in a turn again. At the next stop sign I pulled up in front of him, got off my bike, and hit him right through the helmet. Cracked his face shield and sent him to the ground with his brand new bike on top of him. One of his boys was riding and tried coming off his bike and stepping up, but I had enough of my guys with me he didn't try anything. He got up and tried telling me I was going to pay for the damage to his bike. I asked him if he was going to pay the damage to my body when he clips me and makes me low slide into a tree. Him and his buddy got back on their bikes and took off where ever. One with a cracked face shield and some new scratches on his bike. I hate idiot riders!

Haha I hear ya! I hate squids. I only go on group rides with a very small select amount of people. Too many idiots that are new to the sport that don't know what their doing that think they have too much to prove on a sportbike.

There's old riders and stupid riders. But no old stupid riders ;)

When you're talking about people that ride with the incorrect gear it drives me crazy to see people ride without helmets even if it is legal in the state or to see people ride with theses little itty bitty helmets that are basically a yamika (sp) for your head. :eusa_wall:

Those guys are referred to as "squids". The guys who never ride with gear, ride recklessly, speed and do stunts in traffic, etc. The "ricers" of the sport bike world. I personally don't care for the term, I just call them idiots and refuse to ride with guys like that. If I'm riding with a group and some are new people I've never met before, I make sure to let them know I don't tolerate dumb asses who risk my life. I've had too many ass holes ride wheelies by me in the same lane, pass me in turns like a back road is a race track, and doing other stupid shit.

I was riding with a group last year or the year before last, where a guy passed me on a turn, it is a common rule to give others their space. I don't ride hard on the street, too many variables against you. Well, at the next stop sign I made sure everyone understood that I won't tolerate that stupid shit. Soon after I see douche bag behind me on my tail like its the fcuking Daytona 200. Sure enough, home boy flys by be in his tank top and shorts in a turn again. At the next stop sign I pulled up in front of him, got off my bike, and hit him right through the helmet. Cracked his face shield and sent him to the ground with his brand new bike on top of him. One of his boys was riding and tried coming off his bike and stepping up, but I had enough of my guys with me he didn't try anything. He got up and tried telling me I was going to pay for the damage to his bike. I asked him if he was going to pay the damage to my body when he clips me and makes me low slide into a tree. Him and his buddy got back on their bikes and took off where ever. One with a cracked face shield and some new scratches on his bike. I hate idiot riders!

I have an example of one of these "squids" I was driving my F-150 and I have this guy on a Kawasaki come up on my ass, so I mess with him and gun it get up to about 75-80 (on a open highway with no cars around I've lost too many friends to wreckless driving) and he stays with me well I slow down and put on my right turn signal to turn into my neighborhood. Well this ass hat risks his own life and risks damaging my truck by staying in the same lane with me and passing me doing a wheelie. His front tire almost hit my side mirror. I was like WTF?

As I said speeding and wreckless driving....two completely different things in my book. I mean what if I had of went left a little bit to the left and then pulled into my neighborhood?