Starter Sport Bike

sprite

Haha I hear ya! I hate squids. I only go on group rides with a very small select amount of people. Too many idiots that are new to the sport that don't know what their doing that think they have too much to prove on a sportbike.

There's old riders and stupid riders. But no old stupid riders ;)

Absolutely! Now I don't like to ride with more than 3-4 guys. Once in a blue moon I might go on a big group ride for an uptown Charlotte run. But a lot of bikes on a back road is waiting for someone to go down.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you're talking about people that ride with the incorrect gear it drives me crazy to see people ride without helmets even if it is legal in the state or to see people ride with theses little itty bitty helmets that are basically a yamika (sp) for your head. :eusa_wall:

I'm guilty of riding with no helmet, ONLY when I'm on the strip at the beach and I'm not going over 5 mph...it's easier to pick up girls then! :icon_mrgreen:

The brain buckets are pointless. There is a helmet law here in NC and that is all Harley riders wear. They ARE NOT DOT legal, they stick a DOT sticker on them to get the cops off their ass. They are novelty helmets only. And when I see a guido sport bike rider wearing one, I want to run over them.

Yeah our local bike night we started with our riding club had over 50 bikes at one point (that's a LOT of bikes for central oregon) and we'd go on a group ride... well over 75% of them were good riders. But there were always the few that had to do something stupid. I stopped going on the rides and a lot of my friends did too and tried to make it not happen just because it was spelling disaster... thankfully no one went down, we stopped it in time.

I'm guilty of riding with no helmet, ONLY when I'm on the strip at the beach and I'm not going over 5 mph...it's easier to pick up girls then! :icon_mrgreen:

The brain buckets are pointless. There is a helmet law here in NC and that is all Harley riders wear. They ARE NOT DOT legal, they stick a DOT sticker on them to get the cops off their ass. They are novelty helmets only. And when I see a guido sport bike rider wearing one, I want to run over them.

So I'm down in Charlotte pretty much every other weekend because my gf lives/works there at BofA, and always see these crotch rockets with 10 foot long swing arms...... what's with that?

So I'm down in Charlotte pretty much every other weekend because my gf lives/works there at BofA, and always see these crotch rockets with 10 foot long swing arms...... what's with that?

that's gotta be a show thing. i see that a lot with busas it seems. you sure as hell can't corner well like that :P

LMAO....HORRIBLE taste and a now ruined bike, thats whats with that. Some guys I know, even friends of mine, have done stretched their bike. Just a LITTLE BIT of a stretch can look ok I guess. I know a guy in Concord, though, who stretched his CBR1000 16'' or 18'', the front of the rear tire is completely out from underneath the rear fender, it looks stupid. He also has a 330 tire on the rear, it's wider than the damn bike. A good friend of mine stretched his ZX14, turning that thing is a nightmare! It might have looked ok if he put a 240 tire on it, I think he had a 180 on it. He sold it last weekend.

l_543c4b166907ec811d0e9dd7bd051fc9.jpg

poser 'drag' bikes

that's gotta be a show thing. i see that a lot with busas it seems. you sure as hell can't corner well like that :P

It's definitely a show thing. Like aedmon640, most of them pose to have a drag bike, others do the custom paint and custom swing arm and just show them. Not my style, but whatever floats your boat.

If I were to do a custom, it would be some type of street fighter inspired look.

Yeah, drag bikes are awesome. If you want to see a REAL drag hayabusa :P

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WLmI_YLyDAo That's a drag bike.

I like street fighter/cafe racer. I'm working on one myself :P

It's awaiting some severely lowered bars and a seat and it's streetable. No posing on it though. High compression pistons, custom cam and a new head with titanium springs. Can't wait till it's done. This is the last pic i had of it, it's progressed since then haha. But it's stripped!

IMG_3473.jpg

I've wanted a sport bike since I was about 8. 16 years later I still do and could see myself getting one in a year or two. I don't know the first thing about them and there seems to be a differing of opinion on what the "starter bike" should be. I think I would get a 08' ninja 250 to start on. Safety is the #1 priority to me, and learning properly how to handle the bike is #2. I think the lower power will satisfy those needs and it still looks sweet. You might even decide it's not for you, so the 3-4k won't be that pricey for a trial run.

I've wanted a sport bike since I was about 8. 16 years later I still do and could see myself getting one in a year or two. I don't know the first thing about them and there seems to be a differing of opinion on what the "starter bike" should be. I think I would get a 08' ninja 250 to start on. Safety is the #1 priority to me, and learning properly how to handle the bike is #2. I think the lower power will satisfy those needs and it still looks sweet. You might even decide it's not for you, so the 3-4k won't be that pricey for a trial run.

That is an extremely awesome and intelligent approach, I wish all riders approached riding that way :) and good choice, the 08 has a lower compression with less power and better brakes than the previous models. They're a bit more spendy, but great looking bikes. They have the same wheelbase with slightly larger wheels so they sound like they'll handle similar, yet slightly better. Good choice.

While I agree that the street tricks are dangerous, a few days ago I was on the highway, and some guy on a green kawasaki comes by doing this insane wheelie thing. I can not lie, it was one of the coolest things I had ever seen.

While I agree that the street tricks are dangerous, a few days ago I was on the highway, and some guy on a green kawasaki comes by doing this insane wheelie thing. I can not lie, it was one of the coolest things I had ever seen.

As long as stunts are controlled in an environment where the only life is at risk is yours, then I personally have no problem with it. Stunts are cool to watch. If you do a mile long wheelie on the highway with no traffic and away from other riders, then so be it, you are only risking your own life. I do hate it though, when I'm riding down the road and some ass wipe does the "pop a wheelie" sign; I'm not risking my life or my bike for their enjoyment.

Well after doing a lot of research I've decided to just get a Ninja 250 to start on and then buy what I really want next summer.

Well after doing a lot of research I've decided to just get a Ninja 250 to start on and then buy what I really want next summer.

You getting the 2008?

2008 250 bikes are sexy looking. They've already got a bunch of aftermarket parts and exhaust for them already.

My 2005 is jealous.

BTW Sprite, ninja250.org is the largest 250 resource out there, also the BIGGEST COMMUNITY for the 250 and very knowledgeable people. Worth looking into when you get it ;) here's a link to their new generation 250 section of the forum. http://forums.ninja250.org/viewforum.php?f=54 feel free to tell them "ZX2Addict" sent you.

OK i had already PMed boomba quite some time ago about the same question but lets see if i can get more opinions.

What about a Buell Blast, yes its not really a sport bike persay but its only got like 40ish HP and it supposed to be really easy to handel etc etc. The only thing is those ugly ass mirrors gotta go.

OK i had already PMed boomba quite some time ago about the same question but lets see if i can get more opinions.

What about a Buell Blast, yes its not really a sport bike persay but its only got like 40ish HP and it supposed to be really easy to handel etc etc. The only thing is those ugly ass mirrors gotta go.

Those are an excellent bike. I think they're a single cylinder bike if i recall... but they're pretty cool. Only thing is that parts for those suckers are spendy especially for a first bike. However, I suppose if you are okay with that... it's fine. It's also a belt driven bike, I heard the belts don't last as long as a chain and can crack and wear. Not to mention if you've never had one before it would be an "interesting" learning experience to do the maintenance yourself. I rode a couple buels for shits and giggles to see what the hype was all about and they were fun, but pretty damn heavy for what they were. Very laid back though on the ergonomics ;) (we have a dealer right next to where i work with some harleys and buells)

Im in the same situation

a friend I have thats ridden bikes for years and all different kinds recomended I get a ZX7R because its such a stable bike it has plenty of room for error, especially in corners

I learned my leason years ago to start low when I got a new YZ450F dirt bike for my first bike. getting a top of the line instent torque machine was not a good idea!! Hes been rebuilt in everyway from crashes, gone over 200, and numerous other stupid crap and he said that dirt bike scares him more than any bike hes ever ridden :P

Yeah I'll get a new 08. They are cheap anyways.

Not a bad choice Sprite.

Share your experience with us though, when you finally get on a super sport! I love hearing peoples reaction when the go from a 250 to a 600.

doublepost oops