LM questions

johnmh

When did they switch to the 5.7l Diablo engine?

Yesterday I found a dead one. I tend to find one abused LM002 every year. Most are pretty dead, all are expensive notwithstanding. The one I found today may be less expensive (but maybe more dead). Unfortunately I may not be able to resist this time. Someone help me. Please.

Who has one? What is it like to drive? (I may have asked this before)

Will an LM pull a 2 car trailer with 2 Countaches on it? (joke)

Seriously, how many with the 5.7l were made? I assume it is a standard Diablo enigne in there.

Scary looking thing. Looks like it wants to bite me. Even dead, I want to poke it with a stick before I stand in front of it.

Did Lamborghini ever print a service manual or parts book for the injected 5.7 version of the LM series? I might part with the oft quoted probverial left nut to get a copy.

Yesterday I found a dead one. I tend to find one abused LM002 every year. Most are pretty dead, all are expensive notwithstanding. The one I found today may be less expensive (but maybe more dead). Unfortunately I may not be able to resist this time. Someone help me. Please.

Seriously, how many with the 5.7l were made? I assume it is a standard Diablo enigne in there.

Scary looking thing. Looks like it wants to bite me. Even dead, I want to poke it with a stick before I stand in front of it.

Did Lamborghini ever print a service manual or parts book for the injected 5.7 version of the LM series? I might part with the oft quoted probverial left nut to get a copy.

I know how you feel John... These LM's are surely attractive... I'm in the market for one myself but still have to find the right specimen...

Repair manuals are around but only for the "Countach" version. I have a source for Lambo manuals in Poland. Will try again there if they have the 5.2l version as well.

My mechanic tells me a 5.2l shouldn't be that complicated to maintain; you can always purchase an early Diablo '91/92 service manual for the engine bits and pieces.

BTW it's amazing to see so many LM's for sale. After watching the available cars worldwide for a while my guess is that over 15 % of the LM's produced is waiting for a new owner.

Could be they are being considered difficult and costly to maintain. Surely some parts aren't easy to get.. do you have any insight in what's the actual problem with your find ?

The problem on this one is easy to diagnose. It's f&*^8ed.

Actually, the water pump died. In 1996. So the owner parked it. Outside. For 12 years in the desert.

Yes, I would need a few things for it. Sanity should prevail but this one might be REALLY cheap. I have access to a 91 Diablo manual, but how about the transmission, wiiring, transfer cases, etc. I have a friend who can rebuild any Lamborghini 12 (he did the offshore engines for years), but he (and I) know nada about the transfer cases etc.

Also, this one needs doors. Know of any around?

Have LM002/Americana and love it.

Clutch is like an avenl (very heavy)

As for the parts manual and other items, pm.

Have parts manual for carbo and fuel injection (mine).

Good luck.

Go LM002

I wonder why so many have been neglected? Was there perhaps a 'cheap' decade for them? Big big shame, cars like this will never come around again. Unless of course Hummer decide to re-release the H1 as a 220mph fire breathing V12 monster.....but that's unlikely I think.

i have one original warranty and service manual for the US LM 002 (i think is the FI as the one you are looking at), with all the coupons intact, no VIN written etc...old original never filled (if this is what you are looking for)

if you need doors i could ask around....my guess is if you could find them they won't be cheap!

good luck with it

Emilio, PM me if you want to sell that book.

I find out this week if I can get that LM. Nasty thing, I hope I can buy it, if only to be able to post some pictures of it. I searched through the Eurospares website to take a peek at some diagrams, this thing is complicated. It makes the Countach seem as simple as a go kart. From what I hear, the biggest issue is that most special parts are NLA. Can you even get those pirellis anymore, fresh, at any price?

Still, anyone know the numbers of specimens with the 5.2 vs. 5.7 engines? Were the US ones only 5.7?

Actually, what you REALLY want is an LM004. Think 7 litres of marine power. Mmmm....

Emilio, PM me if you want to sell that book.

I find out this week if I can get that LM. Nasty thing, I hope I can buy it, if only to be able to post some pictures of it. I searched through the Eurospares website to take a peek at some diagrams, this thing is complicated. It makes the Countach seem as simple as a go kart. From what I hear, the biggest issue is that most special parts are NLA. Can you even get those pirellis anymore, fresh, at any price?

Still, anyone know the numbers of specimens with the 5.2 vs. 5.7 engines? Were the US ones only 5.7?

Actually, what you REALLY want is an LM004. Think 7 litres of marine power. Mmmm....

i will PM you (i have 2 or 3 things on LM002 at home)

pirelli are available new, officina GB told me they were take orders some time ago BUT they cost a BIG fortune (like 7k euro for 5...and i do not remember if it even includes the VAT!!)

the LM004 is a misteriuos car....i never saw one with my eyes and i still doubt there is more than 1 around.... :eusa_think:

Finish the old before you start the new.

Absolutely.

But I am actually not that far from it. Most everything is refurbished, wrapped in plastic and waiting for the body to come back with paint. I am waiting for cylinder liners to be pressed into the block, some new valves to be made and my cams to come back from being checked.

All has been replaced, repainted, replated, etc. I have 95% of the new parts I need. I need a set of tires, but will get them very last. I do need a set of plug wires and a pair of spal fans for the rads (my only deviation from stock), but have found them and will place and order next week. The biggest delay will be sending my instruments to Palo Alto Speedo for refurb (This weekend I need to build some protective packaging to send them).

I may get the body back this month (but I am not holding my breath). Reassembly will probably take until the end of the year.

In any event, the LM would not be touched until the Countach is finished and defect free. Too many intersting dead cars floating around Dubai these days, but that is another post altogether. I have developed a local reputation for being the patron saint of unwanted and unloved lost automotive causes, which is coming home to roost.

Absolutely.

But I am actually not that far from it. Most everything is refurbished, wrapped in plastic and waiting for the body to come back with paint. I am waiting for cylinder liners to be pressed into the block, some new valves to be made and my cams to come back from being checked.

All has been replaced, repainted, replated, etc. I have 95% of the new parts I need. I need a set of tires, but will get them very last. I do need a set of plug wires and a pair of spal fans for the rads (my only deviation from stock), but have found them and will place and order next week. The biggest delay will be sending my instruments to Palo Alto Speedo for refurb (This weekend I need to build some protective packaging to send them).

I may get the body back this month (but I am not holding my breath). Reassembly will probably take until the end of the year.

In any event, the LM would not be touched until the Countach is finished and defect free. Too many intersting dead cars floating around Dubai these days, but that is another post altogether. I have developed a local reputation for being the patron saint of unwanted and unloved lost automotive causes, which is coming home to roost.

LOL

funny enough i would do the same there ;)

ciao

Emilio

Too many intersting dead cars floating around Dubai these days, but that is another post altogether. I have developed a local reputation for being the patron saint of unwanted and unloved lost automotive causes, which is coming home to roost.

Sounds like a great read, actually. :)