Restoration questions

ralfabco

I will try my best to describe, some questions and concerns. Please do not shoot the messenger, if I do not describe the part correctly or I ask a stupid question :icon_mrgreen: .

I asked this question before-

When removing the rear suspension, is their a special tool (square pin wrench or square pin socket), to take out the shock absorbers and suspension struts ? I also understand you have two different size nuts ? Where can I buy the tool ?

To remove the gas tanks, do you have to remove the rear suspension ?

Oil hoses ? Any advice on changing these ? I understand it is difficult to do ?

I need a new exhaust system (muffler). What are my choices ?

From the exhaust headers to the muffler, you have stub exhausts that are in the middle ? Where can I obtain replacement stub exhausts ?

When removing the engine and transmission, do you need a special engine hoist ? The pics I see, show the engine, transmission, and exhaust headers coming out as a single unit.

Please feel free to comment or offer any advice. Thanks in advance.

I will try my best to describe, some questions and concerns. Please do not shoot the messenger, if I do not describe the part correctly or I ask a stupid question :icon_mrgreen: .

When removing the rear suspension, is their a special tool (square pin wrench or square pin socket), to take out the shock absorbers and suspension struts ? I also understand you have two different size nuts ? Where can I buy the tool ?

From the exhaust headers to the muffler, you have stub exhausts that are in the middle ? Where can I obtain replacement stub exhausts ?

When removing the engine and transmission, do you need a special engine hoist ? The pics I see, show the engine, transmission, and exhaust headers coming out as a single unit.

engine transmission better have to come out toegether (also headers on )

Exhaust: the ANSA SPORT sistem INCLUDES the 4 connectors that goes from stock headers to muffler

i can get you both in original normal steel or all in SS (this one finished clear coat, black ..or whatever you like it) and i can get as loud as you want :icon_thumleft:

post-4328-1235401698_thumb.jpg

post-4328-1235401753_thumb.jpg

post-4328-1235401782_thumb.jpg

Yes to the special tool. Ive looked for them and can not find any. Was told to have an impact socket machined down to fit.

Yes, rear suspension out for tank removal.

I'll try and answer so you understand.

The suspension bolt. #1 I think you are looking at the wrong end to take off. All suspension parts are held on by special nuts called "castle " nuts. They are round with a notch in them every 90 degrees. You can make the socket or buy them. We have most of them (the common ones) for sale as does GT car parts.

Beware most of the suspension componets have little shims for spacing. These shims are on both sides of all the heim joints, shocks. Normally there are 3 p/side of ea.

Most of the suspension needs to be off to get the tanks out.

Oil hoses: I assume a 2 valve car with the cooler up front? they are a pain. Too long to list procedeure here.

Exhaust: The ANSA is excellent. another choice is a Quicksilver. Just like the ANSA in looks and sound, but all stainless.

If you go to an ANSA style system you'll do away with the stubs

You need a HD hoist. We us our tow truck, works perfect

Any other questions

Mike

All questions I know well.

The oil lines are ok to remove (be careful with the ones connecting to the oil cooler in the front, they are tight and you can damage the cooler, you need to grasp the fitting behind the 36mm nut for counter tension, not the cooler itslef which is on rubber mounts anyways. I undid both ends, cut the fitting off the front end with a hacksaw, drilled a hole in the end of the braided steel hose, ran a thin strand of stainless lockwire through the hole and then pulled the oil hose out the back of the car, while pulling the lockwire through (you need about 15 feet of wire, but strong thin rope will do). To feed it out, you need to remove the panel at the inside of the passenger wheel arch to feed it through the 90 degree bend where the oil line enters the door sill.

When replacing, at first only add one fitting to the new hose and leave it a foot longer than the old one. Use the wire or rope to pull it through, then cut it to length (careful) and add the front fitting last. I have a hydraulics guy helping me with the fitting installation.

As for the tanks, yes the rear suspension needs to come out. Carefully photograph the straps and pads which hold them in place. Lots of little bits there.

As for the 4 pin nuts, I used a punch and a hammer to loosen them, I then took them (in their various sizes) to a machine shop to have a set of hardened steel tubes with pins made. They drilled a hole across the top and added a rod to turn it, like a simple spark plug wrench. Easy. As I was going to replace the nuts anyways (they are nylock and should be replaced when undone) I just used an old one as a pattern.

There are at least three sizes of these 4 pin nuts in the car.

I am envious.

Thanks for all the replies + my two pm's. :icon_super:

JOHN - YOU ARE AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just used the search feature, and I pasted the restorer five or six important threads that you started, when you began the work on your red car. Ball joints, fuel lines, oil lines, air cleaner replacement, etc... Very helpful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_pidu: :icon_pidu:

It will save blood, sweat, tears, and money. Thanks so much.

Yes to the special tool. Ive looked for them and can not find any. Was told to have an impact socket machined down to fit.

Yes, rear suspension out for tank removal.

Exactly what I did. I fabricated my own tool machining down a regular socket. I remember I actually did it with a die grinder holding the socket on a bench vice.

I made my tools out of sockets as well. I did have some Ferrari Pin Nut sockets from prior cars and some of them do fit. I will try to post photos later this week.

jfrazar