brake pads for Diablo, EBC?

Andrew R.

What brand of brake pad does everyone use?

Has anyone tried EBC on thier lambo? EBC offers a "red" and a "green" pad, the guy at EBC said they red style is usually used on heavier cars (I was happy with them on my Viper)

• 2 weeks later...
I have greens and they seem to work fine!

dave ;)

I'm not one to bash and no offense is intended here, but if you believe any EBC pad works as advertised, you can't possibly be driving your car hard or fast enough. In the Supra community (lighter than most modern Lambos) the EBC pads have a worthless reputation.

I have tried a number of Pagid, Porterfield, Performance Friction and OEM pads over the years and I believe my current pads, Ferodo DS 2500s, are the best I've ever had (I have Brembo brakes). I strongly advise anyone looking for the best street pad to check these out. For track days, my friends that have used them swear by the Ferodo DS 3000s. The 2500s dust quite a bit, but seem to be getting better in this regard as I put more miles on them. Hope this helps.

do the ferodo 3000's dust quite a bit also?

dave

(I have never used my brakes hard as on a track)

;)

I don't know, as I believe they are recommended for track only use. If that is the case, dusting, of course, is not an issue.

Interesting because I'm about to change pads...

I've had good results with Porterfield (R4-S) on other cars.. Zero squeel and zero brake dust. However, these cars had great braking power. The Diablo needs better brakes and before I go with the whole 9 yards of cross drilled rotors, etc I thought of trying a pad upgrade first. Never heard of EBC...

Dave - comments on EBC over stock pads...any better?

I do like the ebc's better than the stock pads. I also put the green ebc's on my 97 lotus twin turbo and they worked better than the stock pads. They dusted less, but still dust and from say 120 mph down they seemed to work good, a lot better than stock did. But I have never tried the track so I don't know there!

dave

Interesting because I'm about to change pads...

I've had good results with Porterfield (R4-S) on other cars..  Zero squeel and zero brake dust.  However, these cars had great braking power.  The Diablo needs better brakes and before I go with the whole 9 yards of cross drilled rotors, etc I thought of trying a pad upgrade first.  Never heard of EBC...

Dave - comments on EBC over stock pads...any better?

I had success with the Porterfields as well. I would still be using them, but my brake consultant recommended I try the Ferodo DS 2500s. They are better than the Porterfields.

so Dave, you are running EBC Green on the Lambo?

Ken, respectfully, can't compare any other car to Diablo. The reason is that there appears to be a design flaw with the braking action of the Diablo. I'm new to this car, just bought it for Xmas, but can tell you the brakes lack stopping power. It may be rotor size, master cyclinder pressure or pad design...but in a panic stop they are too soft.

Diablo's come with two versions: ATE or Brembo. I have the Brembo and they can't, as Larry the cable guy woud say, "get her done".

If different pads can't help, then it means cross drilled rotors or larger rotors and tweaking the entire set up. Before all that I would like to experiment with pads.

Think I'll get EBC and Porterfield..try both and post comments here.

I have heard ferrari f50 brakes will go on the front of the diablo and work very well. John aldrich has this setup and says it is good.

dave :)

so Dave, you are running EBC Green on the Lambo?

Ken, respectfully, can't compare any other car to Diablo.  The reason is that there appears to be a design flaw with the braking action of the Diablo.  I'm new to this car, just bought it for Xmas, but can tell you the brakes lack stopping power.  It may be rotor size, master cyclinder pressure or pad design...but in a panic stop they are too soft.

Diablo's come with two versions: ATE or Brembo.  I have the Brembo and they can't, as Larry the cable guy woud say, "get her done".

If different pads can't help, then it means cross drilled rotors or larger rotors and tweaking the entire set up.  Before all that I would like to experiment with pads.

Think I'll get EBC and Porterfield..try both and post comments here.

Oh okay, now I understand. FWIW, I have the F50 calipers, front and rear, and the 14-inch by 1.3-inch drilled rotors, also front and rear. I have an all-time best 60-0 stopping distance of 99 feet (this was done with the Porterfield R4-Ss). I don't know the specs of your braking system, but it sounds like you have correctly noted something is amiss. Good luck.