Car Wrap Question

elus

I'm leaning towards getting my car wrapped matte black, pearl orange is great.. but I want to go for a meaner look. Before I make the final move I would greatly appreciate some feedback on the negatives. I don't browse the forums as religiously as I use to but I do recall seeing a few people that got their cars wrapped, and I am hoping they can chime in.

So far I have only looked into skinzwraps only. Are there any local companies in Southern California that I should look into to?

I'd like a company that is reliable, has positive feedback, and most importantly.. has staff that I can trust with my car. I've had several horror stories getting my cars modded in the past with people that have concealed damage in one way or another.

Thanks!

Also.. a name of a reliable shop to get my rims powder coated would also be helpful!

-elus

Might want to PM fredsf (think that is his name) he had his CGT wrapped and think the guy came to his place in San Fran.

My Murci split the wrap off with the heat on the back - it was the CF wrap so not sure if that was part of the problem as the heat flaked off the CF blocks.

Ive now gloss blacked the whole back bumper and the side vents with the rest in cf matte.

Not sure if NON CF wrap would have same problems to heat.

DSC00651.jpg

DSC00652.jpg

the gap in the bumper to light was due to a slight knock - there wasnt much support on the premiere kit behind there - Forza here in toronto added some structure and at the bottom - the whole thing now feels rock solid.

IMHO, Every wrap I have seen looks like hell!

And WHY oh WHY would you wrap a whole car? Ever seen a roof scratch? Or an upper rear bumper scratch. No.

The peeling wrap will look a lot worse than that scratch. Plus, are you keeping your car "Forever"? Unlikely, as the vast majority of guys own these cars for an average of a few years only.

The edges look like sh*t after a short time, as they back-peel and attract dirt.

This stuff also dulls the car's paint. Makes lighter colors like yellow and orange a bit duller. They do not pop as much.

Who thought putting this stuff on your car was a good idea? How did this all start? Was it not riced up enough, so now we should spend another $7K and wrap it all up? Oh, and make sure to wrap the wheels while you are at it.

The only thing that a wrap gives you is bragging rights. "Oh, your car has only bumper wrap? Well, MINE has whole wrap, heh, heh."

It is a mess. Kind of like putting seat covers on your leather seats. Who are you saving it for, the next owner?

Many of these cars with wraps drive around with chewed-up wheel edges from rashing them, so they are not the pristine cars that any wrap would make them anyway.

Now I do have to admit that the lower front bumper will greatly benefit from a wrap to save rock chips, but that is the only place to do it. Maybe headlights too, but with thicker material. That's it.

Wrap will also pull of paint from repainted (non OEM paint) areas, so good luck trying to remove it if you have ever had any paint work done.

Yeah, yeah, there will be guys replying to this thread stating how great their new wrap is to save face....Wait till later when it yellows and peels.

Beware the wrap.

Just my morning rant.....

There are alot of people in Singapore that wrap their cars in matte black after the member "Hon" here did it to his Murcielago..every day i see 2-4 matte black cars on the road(yes at least 2 everyday)..its getting really common..people just wrap their family car in matte black and think it looks as good..

Some pictures to share with you.

our forum member Hon's murcie

3521591851_26f569d725_o.jpg

This is 1 of 2 matte black Gallardo in Singapore

3674394147_e71b5120a3_o.jpg

3674356537_ac474e4552_o.jpg

It isn't really matte black..it has a shiny look on it..but there is another matte black Gallardo which i haven't got any pictures of..

for negative comments on matte black cars..well

1. you can see a joint on some edge parts

2. if someone's door knock into your car's matte wrap..it'll peel off and look rubbish..(but you can always wrap it back)

3. people will copy you and wrap their cars in matte black too. :P

To the poster who had nothing but negative comments because he doesnt like wraps at all anyways:

Wraps will not damage the paint on your car. The wrap and clear coat provide the proper buffering. Once the wrap is taken off after a few years, you simply buff and wax your car and it'll look identical to when you wrapped it. Unless you have evidence to the contrary...........

Wrap negatives:

- Have to re-panel scratched panels. Then again, you'd have to paint a panel if scratched, so.......

- Potential to be a "trend" and unpopular later, however you can just undo the wrap.

- Edges MAY wear faster than other spots. However, talk to your shop about that and warranty procedures. Everyone is different.

- Limited selection in type/color of material so you'll be an earlier adopter of a matte black when the other colors or designs or styles start to pop up soon enough as we're already seeing with carbon fiber wraps.

Remember, if you can see a joint on edges parts, then you used a shitty installer who didnt spend enough time properly doing the job. A correctly done wrap on a Gallardo from Skinz in CA, as quoted to me, was $3500 or so. They even will fly the installer to you locally and do the install at your shop (Not sure about home) for the flight price and a tiny bump in fee.

Ben

To the poster who had nothing but negative comments because he doesnt like wraps at all anyways:

Wraps will not damage the paint on your car. The wrap and clear coat provide the proper buffering. Once the wrap is taken off after a few years, you simply buff and wax your car and it'll look identical to when you wrapped it. Unless you have evidence to the contrary...........

Wrap negatives:

- Have to re-panel scratched panels. Then again, you'd have to paint a panel if scratched, so.......

- Potential to be a "trend" and unpopular later, however you can just undo the wrap.

- Edges MAY wear faster than other spots. However, talk to your shop about that and warranty procedures. Everyone is different.

- Limited selection in type/color of material so you'll be an earlier adopter of a matte black when the other colors or designs or styles start to pop up soon enough as we're already seeing with carbon fiber wraps.

Remember, if you can see a joint on edges parts, then you used a shitty installer who didnt spend enough time properly doing the job. A correctly done wrap on a Gallardo from Skinz in CA, as quoted to me, was $3500 or so. They even will fly the installer to you locally and do the install at your shop (Not sure about home) for the flight price and a tiny bump in fee.

Ben

Niceley said. I have wrapped a couple cars matte black an it is alot of work to make it look just perfect. Its all on the installer i dont know what installs you've seen but we don't let the car leave the shop till its looking good like its suppose to.

Niceley said. I have wrapped a couple cars matte black an it is alot of work to make it look just perfect. Its all on the installer i dont know what installs you've seen but we don't let the car leave the shop till its looking good like its suppose to.

First, thank you everyone for responding!

Second, I'll most likely only keep the wrap for short term, probably 6 or so months. Hoping to add another car to the stable within the next 6 months, so.. I will most likely bring the Gallardo back to its stock form.

Madmax, do you do installs in Southern California? I see LA as one of your locations, so I am assuming you do. If so, could you please PM me with a price quote?

My main concern is to not have problems with the wrap peeling away after a few months..

Thanks again everyone!

I agree with Lambo91. Not all cars look good in matt black. That said, the photo of a "matt black" G is not wrapped but painted, that's why the gloss.

Personally, I would say a stock G without the raised fixed spoiler does not look that good in matt black. It makes the car look non-descript IMO. You need the whole look with all the bells and whistle accessories to complete it.

Also, all the problems mentioned above are real. Hon's car is able to maintain the look because he has 3 layers of wrap on it. It gives it the structural membrane bonding to overcome the warps and the tears. Of course, he has a team of excellent craftsmen to install it; but he was all stressed out when he only had 1 layer on.

Ever seen a roof scratch?

So ... I'm driving down the interstate a couple days ago and BAM! Something that was most likely a rock fell from a truck that was ahead of me in the next lane and hit the roof of my car.

It was as if you slammed your hand down on the top of my car it was so loud.