Hysterical Ebay Espada

Kmeighannj

Check out the description for this Espada. I especially like the low and high NADA retail value quoted -- $141,000 and $235,000. Despite that, it is being sold with no reserve. :-) Hasn't been started since 1980 so shouldn't take much to get her up-to-speed. Enjoy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Lambor...5%3A-1%7C39%3A1

Nice. Looks like it was left baking in the California sun for 30yrs.

Should email him and ask him for proof of NADA.

It is already overbidded, with 9 additional days to go. It is unfortunate for the new buyer, that the car will not be worth enough money after it is partially finished, to cover just the cost of the mechanical restoration. I am not even mentioning the cost, of a partial or complete cosmetic restoration. When adding up the #'s for anykind of restoration, it does not take long to conclude, that the restoration will turn into a financial upside down project.

On the plus side, it is nice to see that the car is complete for the most part. I like the S1 cars the best. The dash is just plain groovy :icon_mrgreen: .

The body work might become a bigger nightmare. I would like to know why the hood was altered, why the grill was added, and where the badging went? Even the holes for all of the badges are gone. Either an owner wanted to customize the body for a smoother look or this was in an accident and had extensive repair.

It is already overbidded, with 9 additional days to go. It is unfortunate for the new buyer, that the car will not be worth enough money after it is partially finished, to cover just the cost of the mechanical restoration. I am not even mentioning the cost, of a partial or complete cosmetic restoration. When adding up the #'s for anykind of restoration, it does not take long to conclude, that the restoration will turn into a financial upside down project.

On the plus side, it is nice to see that the car is complete for the most part. I like the S1 cars the best. The dash is just plain groovy :icon_mrgreen: .

Unfortunately, if he gave it away for free, it would be too expensive given the likely costs to get it going. Sad, but true. I know it is blasphemous to say this to this group, but perhaps it is worth alot more as a parts car?

I at least give the guy credit for posting a lot of pics.

Shame it would cost more to restore than it's worth though, I always loved the Espada for some reason.

Unfortunately, if he gave it away for free, it would be too expensive given the likely costs to get it going. Sad, but true. I know it is blasphemous to say this to this group, but perhaps it is worth alot more as a parts car?

So true !

I don't think it's a bad deal yet, anyways. The car is not a rust bucket, and it's all there. You could part it out for that. 4.0 engine. The wheels are the same as a Miura? 12k doesn't buy much. Heck mount it on your wall.

I think it's worth saving if the price is reasonable.

Again, as I have said in the past, if the new owner is willing to pick up wrench and able to do some things him/herself and leave the serious stuff to the professionals....you'd be upside down with only a few tires on your head.....and those you can push off :)

Of the three in the series, I like the S1 the best.

I wish it could work out.

40K for the engine ?

Cost of car ?

Stop - you are already over 10K upside down.

It makes no sense at all to buy a car in this condition considering the current value of collector cars. You're far better off buying a pristine restored example today, even at the top of their value your purchase price won't even come close to the cost of the restoration.

BUT, please remember Kirk Meighan's Espada. 120k resto+car (I think the guy who paid that got ripped)

He got it for around half that and sold it in the mid/upper 50's. I think he lost very little. I think that car will always trade hands for the same money...unless it get neglected.

So a pefectly restored car is worth some good money and there seems to be buyers for restored examples.

I would assume the S-1 is a little more valuable than the other series.

Ralph, 40k for the motor? I have not seen anybody post what they've been charged, so I don't know.

oops, sorry, I see the auction is up to 15k already. Definately not worth that kind of money...10k at most.....and that's a stretch.

Ralph, 40k for the motor? I have not seen anybody post what they've been charged, so I don't know.

Peter,

Full rebuild - valves, regrind cams, headwork, rods, pins, pistons, rings, seals, bearings, rebuild water pump, check the crank and block, + rebuild carbs etc...

That was the # that I heard.

Some people are getting 14K, to perform a major belt service (including preventative maintainance) on a flat-12 F car. That is without a new clutch. The parts, are just over 2k :shock:

BUT, please remember Kirk Meighan's Espada. 120k resto+car (I think the guy who paid that got ripped)

He got it for around half that and sold it in the mid/upper 50's. I think he lost very little. I think that car will always trade hands for the same money...unless it get neglected.

So a pefectly restored car is worth some good money and there seems to be buyers for restored examples.

I would assume the S-1 is a little more valuable than the other series.

Actually, Peter, you are only partially right on my car. I did buy it for half the resto cost in December 2007, but then sold it on Ebay last month for my Buy-it-now price of $65,000. I am one of very few people, I imagine, to buy a car at the top of the market, and at the top of the value range for an Espada, and then be lucky enough to sell it for more than I paid for it. (Makes up for the great deal you got from me on the Urraco :-) ) And, I still believe it was a bargain for the buyer at that price given how much the owner before me spent on it and the condition it is in! It is a great car.

Kirk

Kirk, congrats on getting what you wanted. Car is magnificent.

Who got it and where did it go?